“Poor”

The Shoulder at Hardstoft
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hardstoft
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I went to the shoulder recently with friends, having had a bad experience before, I just had a drink, whilst they tucked into lunch.
I still cant believe how poor this place can be, it must be run on the flip of a coin - today we will serve good food and good service, or not...............I must go on the NOT days......
The food served was apparently dry and luke warm...........I could see the service was poor.

Interestingly the Environmental Health recently scored this place as poor, not good food safety practices and little confidence in management - worth a look on their site before you eat anywhere...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank marktNottingham

Reviewed 17 February 2013

People need to start realising how good this place actually is!

2rosette restaurant, great wine selection and local aleas in a well designed comfy restaurant or seperate bar area in the middle of the country side. However whenever I seem to go its just that little bit quiet!

I can safely say this place offers some of the best food I've ever had, especially in derbyshire. Give it a go, you really wont be dissapointed!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I've lived in the area for over 10 years and I've seen this pub change hands quite a few times in that period - sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.
With that in mind I called in a few nights ago, and was pleased to see its definitely on the "up" again... Excellent choice of beers - some great local ones at bargain prices - try a pint of Bakwell Best for £2.50 a pint... Lovely beer, at working mens club prices!

Throw in a lovely decor, wood burning fire and you get the picture - as good a pub you would want to find yourself in on a cold winters evening!

Now the food - We went tonight after enjoying the drinks a few nights ago... And again - another enjoyable evening. Menu is not too extensive - but thats probably a good sign that someone is cooking the food in the background, rather than pressing a few microwave buttons... Anyway, tonight I had the sirloin steak burger, and my partner had the pork belly; Both fantastic. Not sure about the dodgy wooden bistro style plate mine was served on (far too London chic for my liking), but I'm being very picky now - the food was great. And I do love the beer and open fire on a cold winters evening.

If you have not been to the pub for a while I urge you to try it (again). I did and I'm glad I did.

PS> This is a pub and restaurant review - I've never seen the rooms or stayed overnight, so most of the questionaire about rooms, etc was a N/A from me.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We have been to the shoulder for Food on a couple of occasions now and each time we have been impressed by the quality of the food. The Sunday dinner is very good and reasonably priced. We have recently had the Christmas Menu meal and £15 for 2 courses is very good value.The staff are very helpful and they serve a selection of good ales.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Very good food pretty good value. Rooms are basic but certainly ours was clean. Good breakfast better than some much more expensive places. Home baked bread we brought home with us is excellent. Staff were very friendly and efficient.
We had three courses each all of which were good I had a special consisting of Brill with black pudding and veg, not an obvious combination but it was superb. Am somewhat surprised by other recent reviews as they seem to be of a different place. The food is obviously prepared and cooked as you order it and was well presented and I will certainly go back if I am ever in the area again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I dont quite understand why this place doesn't want customers ? - I have only been twice and each time its food has been poor, the prices ridiculous and the service lazy. Avoid it.

I wouldnt recommend it for a wedding either, friends of our had theirs there and the room was "old and tired", it was not what you would expect..

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank marktNottingham
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Drove to the Shoulder on Saturday night only to find it closed to general public because of a private function. This is the second time this has happened and the last visit we will make the journey. How come when the pub has a great big function room it closes the locals bar when it's the locals that keep the place going? Don't waste your time travelling to Hardstoft on the off chance the pub may be open, go somewhere like the Elm Tree at Heath where there is constant good food and service and don't mess customers about.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank jasminn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hardstoft
Twin Oaks Hotel
#9 of 15 in Chesterfield
Sandpiper Hotel
Sandpiper Hotel
#10 of 15 in Chesterfield

Been to The Shoulder at Hardstoft? Share your experiences!