“So disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hardstoft B&B and Inns
uk
“So disappointed”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I arrived with two companions there to help me as i am disabled. i was visiting Chesterfield so had to pay for a taxi as i can no longer drive. it seemed worth it for the facilities and accommodation.
I have hesitated over what i should say regarding this review but in the end decided to put how i feel about it as it did upset me.
the website said to ring to make booking and referred to the couple who run the Lodge. I spoke to the lady who took my booking for 2 luxury rooms and took my card details.
however when we arrived John said there was no booking and asked if i had maybe booked somewhere else and arrived there by accident.
having insistedwe were at the right place it my helpers were given a luxury room but John then discovered the others were already taken. i therefore got put in the disabled room which was not a luxury room. Since i was paying for both rooms i wasnt best pleased particularly as i had been looking forward to relaxing on the advertised sofa in my luxury room and having the hot tub right outside. i didn't have a sofa and never got to use the hot tub which i had been looking forward to.
The room i had was set up for wheelchair access with a wet room. i do not usually use a wheelchair but have balance and movement problems. the large spaces in room and bathroom for wheelchair access often just look like more room to fall in. i prefer places where there is furniture to place a steadying hand on or soft furnishings to break a fall.
i saw John later by accident and he explained that he had found out my booking had been taken by his other half but he had gone out on an emergency trip the day i rang and the details had not been passed to him.
What upset me was that none of this was my fault but i never received any apology at all. Neither did i receive any small discount or anything that might have made me feel they had tried to make up for their mistake.
Th room was nice and warm and breakfast lived up to the reviews but i cant see myself going back.

Room Tip: make sure they send confirmation of booking
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jaccx7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We had an excellent few days here. The rooms were lovely and clean and the owners were very friendly and helpful. Although we arrived early we were warmly welcomed and given a guided tour and shown how to work the sauna and hot tub.
The breakfasts were cooked to order and had everything you would expect in a Yorkshire B&B including fresh fruit, nice yoghurts, delicious full English cooked breakfast, muffins and more.
We enjoyed using the hot-tub in the garden which was very relaxing and soothing after a day of walking and sightseeing.
We walked to Hardwick House on our first day so the location is excellent for those who like walking or visitng historical buildings. We had a lovely visit to Bolsover Castle too which I can recommend; it includes an interesting audio guide in the entrance charge.
All in all we had a lovely stay and would love to visit again.

Room Tip: If you like to use the hot tub the garden rooms are the closest.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Somerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Booked a room at Whitton Lodge for one night as a halfway stop from the South West to the North East. We had a friendly greeting by the owner on arrival and shown the facilities.
Our room was large, well appointed with a comfortable sofa and a well presented en-suite bathroom. The whole place was immaculate and nicely decorated.
A wide choice of breakfast freshly cooked and served in a very pleasant dining room.
Visitors also have the use of a hot tub.
The owners have gone to a lot of trouble to provide all the little details which make for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the bedroom over the guest day room as it is simply enormous with a panoramic window.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank theburvs
Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Went for a weekend away. Whitton lodge is comfortable and perfect for a couple of nights relaxtion. Can't wait to go back and stay again without the SNOW. (bad timing). Whitton lodge was clean and had everything you need. Breakfast was cooked to perfection and the staff were very helpful and friendly. There also a pub within 2 minutes walking so yu dont have to go far for dinner either. Also a good location for getting out and about.

1 Thank tpeters1965
Stoke On Trent
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Loved this place sit day dreaming about it at work now. Very clean very peaceful and generally lovely. Loved our room with french windows looking over the garden and very close to the hot tub - my fav bit. Tea coffee facilities in the room a must for me. Lucious breakfast full english and then muffins and fruit with tea, coffee and juices to chose from.

Robes and towels in the rooms and nice and spacious.

Loved feeding the goats even though I probably wasn't supposed to.

TV and dvd player in the room.

Only downside is that checkout is 10.30 and that is too early for me I am a noon checkout person.

Breakfast served til 9.30 and you order night before so it is all ready for you.

Lovely pub down the road that we went to for a drink but couldnt have food as there was a wedding gutted! Advisable to book if you want a meal there in case this is the case again and it looks like it gets busy.

We went to the canarvon down the road and had a pleasant meal and evening there instead.

Could do with signposting a little better.

Overall lovely people and a lovely place saving up to go back can't wait.

Room Tip: I love the outside rooms with the french windows over looking the gardens
1 Thank loulouStokeOnTrent
buxton
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I took my boyfriend to Whitton Lodge for his birthday, and we both really enjoyed our stay. The owners are wonderful, nothing is too much trouble. The jacuzzi and steam room were lovely and relaxing, and not too busy. By far the best part of the stay was the delicious breakfast.... A good selection, good sized portion and high quality products. I'd love to visit again.

s o t
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I agree with previous reviewers that it is not well signposted however that is where the negatives end. We visited to celebrate my wife's birthday and had a great time.
The lodge is hidden away a is very well presented with a superb visitors lounge with comfy furniture, tv and full sized snooker table and also there is a 'honesty bar' for drinks which i think is a great idea. the food was made to order and was of excellent quality. We stayed in room number 8 which was spacious and well furnished with a communal hot tub outside our door. We would have stolen the hot tub but couldn't get it in our car. The tub was superb. Location was great with an excellent restaurant/bar a 2 minute walk away (Famous Shoulder) and another excellent restaurant/bar (Canaervon) about 3 miles away. You are also very close to Hardwick Hall and Bolsover Castle. Summary a great 2 night break and we will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: If you fancy being at ground floor level in the garden and near the hot tub choose 8,9,10 room. If y...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hardstoft
Twin Oaks Hotel
#1 of 2 in South Normanton
Eastwood Hall
Eastwood Hall
#1 of 1 in Eastwood

Been to Whitton Lodge? Share your experiences!