“Disappointing this time”
Review of The White Lion

The White Lion
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was our 5th visit to the White Lion in Great Longstone but sadly, it may be our last. The service wasn’t as good as usual and the food was, overall, poor. My partner’s starter was good but mine wasn’t. However, it was really the main course that let the whole evening down. We had the pork and mushroom stroganoff but it just did not taste like any stroganoff I had ever had before. The main problem was that it was full of little pickled onions (yep! Strange, but true). There were more pickled onions than there were mushrooms and this made it taste awful. Perhaps the chef couldn’t be bothered to peel real onions and cook the stroganoff properly! The other main problem was that it was very cold in the restaurant area. I was wearing a winter jumper but I was still cold and it is difficult to enjoy a meal when you are cold. It may be May but the heating still needed to be on! As I said, disappointing this time.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Set in a lovely village. Staff very friendly and attentive. Lovely pub with lovely food. The bread and olives were delicious. Most of the party had Sunday lunch which was beautiful although probably not enough vegetables per person. Overall very good though.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

A real gem of a place, went for sunday lunch. Good food and lovely surroundings. Attentive staff . What more could you ask for.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had the pleasure of discovering this little place entirely by accident last week and we're so glad we did! We spend a lot of time walking and hiking with our dog and more often than not, we're unable to eat out as pubs and restaurants aren't dog friendly. The White Lion has a designated area for patrons to bring their dogs in, which is a massive plus for us. This shouldn't put people off though as it is a separate area of the building from where other diners are seated.
My other half has specific dietary requirements which can often make eating out a bit difficult, when we mentioned this to the staff, they didn't bat an eyelid, they couldn't have been more accommodating. The waitresses and bar staff were very friendly without being over bearing, they were full of advice and information regarding the local area, perfect for tourists or day trippers who don't know their way around!
The food was delicious, made with high quality, seasonal, locally sourced ingredients, which is a massive bonus for us. All of the herbs and spices are grown organically by the owner, as are lots of the vegetables. The portions were sizeable and we were more than satisfied with two courses, we couldn't manage dessert!
I cannot recommend this place highly enough, the standard of service and food is a cut above anywhere else we've tried in the Peak District, we'll certainly be back!!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

They only had room for us in the Tap Room when we booked. It's a smaller room than the main bar/restaurant but there were a few tables in there and it was really nice.
The staff are understated but very efficient providing excellent service.
The food is unpretentious, tasty and the menu offers affordable pub food or more pricey steaks. My wife had the seas food pie which was good but she it it just lacked a bit in the flavour department...but still very nice. I had lamb which was perfect.
We were very impressed so we booked for a late afternoon SundayLunch the next day. It I snider in the main bar where there is a bit more going on. Roast pork was spot on with proper crackling, though I'm not fond of this modern approach to post potatoes not being crispy! The fig steamed pudding was classic!