“Forget the pud & coffee”
Review of The Nettle Inn - CLOSED

The Nettle Inn
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Forget the pud & coffee”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We have been here before as it is a nice venue and although the service has been poor it has seemed good overall, however this visit on a Sunday lunchtime has settled it and we won't return.
The offering was a buffet roast which was fine but the vegetarian option was disappointing.
Then came the suites (advertised as homemade) where we selected: cheesecake that was soggy and more like a mousse, and apple crumble overpowered with cocoa sprinkled over everything!
Finally the coffee which was indescribably bad (could have been made from acorns?). Unbelievable at a time when decent coffee is available everywhere.

3 Thank David P

Ashover, United Kingdom
“Never Ever Again!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I'm still in shock but feel that I must share my experience of the Nettle but I can assure you we will NEVER EVER visit again. The menus were shambolic, pages missing, no prices and a complete and utter mish mash, that should have been a warning. The ladies toilets were grubby, outdated and only one of the two toilets were in working order! When I asked the bar man/waiter for information I was shocked by his response, he was rude, arrogant and dismissive! Our order taken we were then led to our table (6 in total), the food came out in staggered stages, the waiter plonked the final plate down and dashed off with no mention of "enjoy your meal" or "is there anything else you require?" I called back the young waitress and explained that I was somewhat shocked by her male colleague, he apparently is her boss and the owner. I requested that various condiments were required and they duly appeared. Admittedly the food was mediocre. We were offered desserts, a choice of three! We declined, spoilt for choice! After we'd finished our meal the only other table had asked for the curtain to be closed due to the sunlight, the owner proceeded to walk behind my sons girlfriend's chair, reach over her with no excuse me and close the curtain without addressing anyone at our table. I was so shocked by his complete lack of manners and can quite honestly say I've never witnessed anything like it. I went over to speak to him in private to express my concerns and as one might expect, reading other dissatisfied customers reports, an apology was not forthcoming! He then proceeded to call me "love". I think this epitomises the owner and his manners or rather lack of them! Good luck to all those who ignore my review but please do remember you have been warned!

• Visited June 2014
10 Thank Catherine W
derbyshire
“Terrible service”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I consider myself quite a "foodie" & living in Derbyshire I have eaten some spectacular food & experienced some spectacular service- working in hospitality I feel obliged to say the service I received (from none other than the two brothers that own this establishment) was the upmost outrageous, obnoxious & rude service that I have experienced in my entire life. The two "not so" gentlemen firstly brought out menus for their own restaurant with pages missing, no prices and couldn't even stick around long enough to let us know what the specials were. We were left outside with menus for about 20 minutes confused as to whether or not it was fish or steak night & to be honest I still don't know!. I feel a large amount of incompetence ran through the business- a lot like blood through the vein, infected & spreading through the rest of the body & watching it decay under it's nose. Which is quite a shame as the waitress was quite pleasant & clearly trying her best yet quite obviously trained by the owners. The food was good I had the braised beef pretty basic dish, done well, slightly over salted. Oddly served- a pie was served at our table in a dish of it's own on top of an empty (main-size) plate- ok not the most unusual, as the vegetables for that dish came out and were set we were not informed as to which dishes they belonged to just sneered at slightly for going ahead and asking that question. When my boyfriends mother went to the manager and complained about the service she was faced with ignorance and arrogant man slouching against a bar with hands in pockets and a smirk on his face. All in all the chef here should find a better face & the face should quit because he/they do not belong in this business.

• Visited June 2014
6 Thank eboni-jane
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly - peaceful atmosphere”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We went there to celebrate our anniversary, and it was a charming place to eat - we had been there for drinks before, and wanted to return to eat. The food was fresh, and very tasty indeed. There's a lovely log fire in case it is cold - which adds to the atmosphere. Do try it!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank MrandMrsD2011
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent pub”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The food, service, ambiance, and beer are simply excellent. A lovely pub which offers high quality food at great prices. We highly recommend this pub to our friends.

Visited April 2014