“Jealous of the locals!”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Jealous of the locals!”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My girlfriend often spoke of the charm and idyllic surroundings of the Old Poets, and so I was looking forward to going to one of her locals. What first struck me was how busy it was, a sunday night and we had to wait a good ten minutes before we found a spot to perch. There was a warm ambience and glow to the pub rarely found in pubs in London. When we did eventually sit down, we did so by the fire and played trivial pursuit. A quaint pub with a great range of beers including Erdinger which pleasantly surprised me. It was acoustic night too and it complimented the atmosphere perfectly. I left feeling very envious of the local people who call this their local pub. A real little charmer of a pub.

Visited May 2014

“Good lunch”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Called here after a lovely walk with dog. The weather was lovely so we sat outside. I ordered a roast beef baguette and my friend ordered mini fish and chips. The food was lovely, the beef really tender with a little side salad. The mini fish and chips we're far from mini, really a decent portion for lunchtime. No complaints and very reasonably priced with the sun thrown in!

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Dreadful curry”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just back from holiday, no food in the house, so thought we would go for curry night. We had been some time ago and it was very good. We both ordered the same curries. When it arrived it looked good, but it smelled strange and tasted even stranger, like sweaty socks! My curry was sitting in a pool of thin watery liquid which resulted in my nan bread getting very soggy. I am afraid to say that neither of us ate much of the curry. When a member of the bar staff came to clear the table she asked if everything was ok, we told her it was awful and even she said she did wonder as my plate was swimming in liquid. She asked if the waiter had been to ask if everything was ok, we said no. We heard her go into the kitchen and ask the staff what's going on with the curries? When leaving we were told we should have spoken up and they would have given us something else. I really don't think we would have wanted to try anything else at the Poets that evening. We were offered a pudding which we declined. We paid £8.95 each which is not cheap. I felt that we should have at least had to only pay for one meal, although on reflection that wouldn't have made up for the dreadful curries.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Mary W
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Beer!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

No idea what the rest of its like but the best select of real ale you can want, lovely and cosy place where pets are welcome and music is played live some nights that's a great jam and mix mash of things.

• Visited September 2013
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Excellent sunday lunch and great ambience”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My girlfriend and I visited the Old Poets for Sunday lunch to celebrate her birthday and were very impressed. The food was hot, well-cooked and plentiful, with the option of a number of very indulgent looking puddings shown on a chalkboard. Once finished we repaired to the beer garden and with so many excellent real ales to try and fine weather we curtailed our walk and decided to remain in the pub for the remainder of the afternoon. All in all, a great experience and one we're already keen to do again.

Visited April 2014