“Great time” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fighting Cocks

The Fighting Cocks
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Arreton
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“Great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Another super time at the fighting cocks. My only negative would be, it can take a while to get served at the bar during busy times. Weather was great and the food was spot on. Children love the play area, so us parents can enjoy some piece.
Well done.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Happy With The Service And The Food Was Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I went to the Fighting Cocks after being let down by the Merrie Garden in Lake. I arrive at 9pm and was they still accommodated me and provide me with delicious food and great service. The pub is only a small country pub/restaurant but the service I received was that of a 5* restaurant and the prices were very good for the quality of the food. I would definitely come back to this pub again and I will will be recommending this to many of my friends and family on the island.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Great...but they double book the tables so be warned!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

After a fab first visit with the family, me and my partner decided to treat ourselves to a child free evening! We were served our drinks at the bar and seated promptly and politely.
I ordered the hunters chicken which was amazing. Best on I've ever had! Can out sizzling, yummy! My partner ordered a chicken madras off the specials board. Disappointed when it came out. Didn't look like a curry at all, more like a Spanish/Mediterranean dish with huge chunks of peppers. Tasted ok, but not really what he was expecting. Wouldn't order a curry there again, but it hasn't put us off another visit because we know how good the other food is!
I have to put a negative point though and it is the way they take their bookings. If you book a table earlier than 7pm, you will be given 2 hours max to eat and leave, regardless of the size of your party, as the table will have another booking for a later time. Which is fine for some people but if you are planning to make an evening of it and don't like to be rushed through your meal I would either book later or speak to them about it when you make you booking. I saw a couple of groups being asked to hurry as people where waiting for their tables.
But all in all a very pleasant evening. Made to feel welcome and the service is really great.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Service from manageress deflated the evening.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I regularly visit this beautiful place with both family and friends. I even recommend it to lots of people.
However, this evening when I was served by the manageress/ owner, she first got my two drinks wrong, which I kept quiet about, then continued to serve me in an off manner, bit huffy, and very rude.
When I was joined by my dad, her whole attitude towards him was joyous and friendly, and then totally off when
back to me :-(
Not once did she initiate conversation during payment.
I feel so upset, cos I love this establishment.
Must say the food was delicious, and those staff attentive.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Stevenage, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great food VERY child friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

food to please 3 generations..mum,children and grandchildren...my chilli was lovely....difficult to please son still talking about the flavour of his ham and cheese pannini..daughter still moaning that they wouldn't give us the recipe for the dipping sauce that was with her calamari...must have been good as she wouldn't share...2 yr old grand daughter finished her plate of pasta and cheese (genius for putting that on the menu) in her words 'delicious..my favourite' only plate of food she cleared all week would return here often if I lived on IOW