“I searched in vain”

Hare and Hounds
Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Arreton
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Child and dog friendly thatched pub in the heart of the Isle Of Wight. Inside & outside seating with a play area to the rear.
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“I searched in vain”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I would have thought that a dish advertised as chicken and chorizo pasta should have had some in it. I searched through a plate of pasta like an avid gold panner but nope, no sign. However the handful of salad leaves thrown on top of the hot pasta added a certain extra excitement and digging the wilted leaves out of the sauce made my intense searching such fun.
Seriously,45 minute wait for food on a quiet weekday evening, a mixed grill that was so over cooked it was like shoe leather, pasta lacking in many ways ,but the coffee was good if that helps.

• Visited May 2014
Paul C, General Manager at Hare and Hounds, responded to this review, 24 October 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. We appreciate all feedback in which ever form it takes as we truly believe this is the only way of improving what we do. I sincerely apologise that the food you received on your visit was not up to the high standards we are aiming for. We are continually training and working with the kitchen team to ensure that we deliver quality food to all of our guests. Thank you for taking time to tell us we did not deliver so we can strive to improve.

England, United Kingdom
“Oh dear.....I should have learned last time!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I've been to this establishment a number of times and have eaten on four occasions. Last time was a disaster, (review posted) but it was handled very well by the duty manager. Passing by with friends we thought we'd give it one more try. I really think they, Green King/Old English couldn't hit a bulls backside with a banjo. Its a nice place but they just can't get the food right and this time even tried to justify the failure on instructions from "head office". Bangers and mash was OK, the ploughman's was rubbish. The menu states Pork Pie. It should have read, half a small pork pie heated in a microwave and with uncooked soggy pastry the bloomer bread is 1, yes 1 small slice no more than 4 inches in diameter and very thin, a whole uncut and extremely cold apple, some very small pieces of cheese and some small pots of pickles. A ploughman's is supposed to be a hearty meal of cheese with a big chunk of bread. On asking for some more bread the waitress shuffled of and bought back 1 small slice on a plate to be shared between two of us. On tracking down the duty manager she kept saying that head office has instructed exactly what the portion sizes are and that they cannot give more than one slice of bread per meal. She also argued that the pork pie was ample and that the pastry wasn't soggy. Clearly as a customer....no ex customer now she felt the need to argue until I peeled the limp pastry of and flapped it around in mid air.
They've had four occasions to get it right for me and only once was the food OK so I will not be eating here again.

• Visited May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit. We appreciate all feedback in which ever form it takes as we truly believe this is the only way of improving what we do. We are continually training and recruiting and working towards giving better service to all of our guests. I apologise that the food and service you received on your visit was not up to the high standard we are aiming for. We thank you for taking time to tell us we did not deliver so we can strive to improve.
Whippingham, United Kingdom
“Lunch time at the Hare and Hounds”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I took my wife out to lunch yesterday to the Hare and Hounds , bad mistake . We had booked a table the day before .
The car park was quite full and we were shown to our table . To get into our table we had to ask the people next to us to please move whilst they were eating , not a good start .
We ordered our meals one roast turkey with NO potatoes and one roast beef .
After waiting 45 minutes for our food I asked the question how long , within one minute our dinners arrived . The roast beef also had Turkey on the plate and the turkey dinner had potatoes .
Do you really serve stuffing with roast beef ? I asked for the meals to be removed as not only were they wrong they also looked inedible due to the bland look of the meal and the food was also warm and not hot . I did feel quite sorry for the waitress who I believe had only started that day
I then asked for a full refund this I received , my wife and I then went to another pub where we had a first class meal . We obviously will not be returning .
This was at the start of the season and not the first bad review of the day

1 Thank 51Relic
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. We appreciate all feedback in which ever form it takes as we truly believe this is the only way of improving what we do. I sincerely apologise that the food you received on your visit was not up to the high standards we are aiming for. We are continually training and working with the kitchen team to ensure that we deliver quality food to all of our guests. We thank you for taking time to tell us we did not deliver as we truly want to provide the great service you would expect.
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We booked a table for 5 which was perfect. Having studied the menu for a while we then went to the bar to order our starters and main courses. The starter eventually arrived after a good 30 mins from ordering. The food was very good. The plates were then removed by the waiting staff. 45 minutes (yes 45 mins) later we asked where our main courses were. To be told they were just being dished up! Another 10 mins later our food arrived. Again the food was good, apart from the Belly Pork which was not as expected. Needless to say, we didn't order desserts as we could well have lost the will to live. Bearing in mind this was not during the high season and in fact the restaurant/tables were only at 50-60% full I dread to think how long the wait would be during the high season!!

• Visited May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit. We appreciate all feedback as we truly believe that this is the only way of improving the food and service we provide. We are grateful that you have raised the issue of the waiting times with us so we may continue to monitor and improve. Thank you once again for your feedback.
“Waiting time ridiculous”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

having to wait between starter and main for over 45 minutes is ridiculous! Would nt recommend if you want to eat at a decent pace (especially out of season)