“Avoid if possible”

The Crossing Resort
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We only stayed here because the drive from Jasper to Banff was too much for me in one day, at 5 months pregnant. With relatively low expectations we were still disappointed.

The whole place is very dated and unkempt, the exterior all needs painting and maintenance. Our room initially seemed OK and clean, until we opened the window. There were flies trapped between the window and the fly-screen, so then our room was full of flies. The decor has not been changed since the 1960's and definitely needs to be updated.

We were shocked to find that our $200+ room didn't include wifi and we had to pay an extra $10 a night for this. Absolutely ridiculous in 2014.

With no options whatsoever we had to eat there for the evening. The pub has a "cook your own dinner" grill, which wouldn't have been too bad except the prices are very high. For that much I want someone else to cook it for me! We went to the restaurant and after waiting about 20 minutes in an invisible vortex we finally ordered the buffet. It was OK, nothing special. The cleanliness from our room was extended to the restaurant and we shared our meal with a number of flies.

In the morning we thought we might grab some cereal for breakfast but there is nothing of the sort available. We bought two bananas and got out of there! We drove straight to Lake Louise where there is a bakery doing nice pastries and sandwiches.

Unless you really have to stop partway between Jasper and Lake Louise / Banff don't stay here. Camp, stay in an RV, or just do the whole drive in one go. Avoid if possible.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peta I

Reviewed 15 August 2014

As I was registering with my reserved room, some guy walked in and asked if there were any rooms and was told yes and actually he could have one with 20% off because they had a promo for walk ins. He got the same room for 20% less without a reservation and the place was not even half full. So, because I reserved, I was penalized instead of rewarded. The room needed toilet and facial tissue and the hideaway bed had not been made. The bathroom lotions and shampoo were insufficient for guests staying. Our food at breakfast was cold. They are understaffed. Gas was $1.86 per liter. That's $.72 per liter more than Edmonton. The shelves in the guest shop were sparsely stocked. This place seems to be going downhill. Too bad! Nice location but not worth it!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Raymondvallee
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is the ideal location to stay when you're going from Jasper to Banff or back, and you want to see a lot of stuff. This place is right in the middle of the two. We stayed in a little cabin for one night. The cabin was a bit small and outdated, but not bad. The beds were on the small side. It's a bit expensive for what you get. All in all, it's very convenient to stay here for one night, and you'll be OK with it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My brother and I stayed here during a week long trip to Banff park. It was our third night on the trip and I had planned on staying in Lake Louise to easily access hiking spots early the next morning. Travago.com (see pic) where I found the hotel, lists its location in Lake Louise. But the report is actually 80 kilometers north along the Icefield Parkway!
When I found out, I thought I had been duped and was pretty upset.
However, it gave us a chance to explore further north than we had initially planned and we are so glad we did!
The Athabasca Glacier is just a short drive north of the resort and the king trail along Parker Ridge gives you a mind blowing view of the Saskatchewan Glacier and a magnificent 360 degree panorama of snow-tipped mountain peaks.
As for the resort, it offered a splendid view off the front porch. The room was average, but all the basic necessities were there and it was clean.
No continental breakfast and I thought $10 for WiFi was a little steep.
Price for room I found to be fair based on market value and occupancy.
There is a bar/restaurant open until midnight. The local market closes at 10. Gas is a little pricier than down in Lake Louise but it was so much more worth it to be away from the crowds!
I recommend!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pierce_Pierce
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My spouse and I were looking for a quick getaway for a weekend somewhat close to home, when the hotel called and told us that there was a room available, we jumped at it. Moral of the story, always read the reviews first.

We were initially told that we would be able to upgrade to a room with queen beds if they came available for an additional charge. On our way to the icefields we stopped by the hotel to see if that room was available, we were greeted by an incredibly rude woman who shortly told me there was nothing else available, when I tried to explain the conversation that I had previously had, I was cut off, at which point I left the office. Before heading on with our day, we stopped for a few supplies and fuel at the general store and gas station - it was at least 40% more than Lake Louise and even more than Calgary.

While the room was clean and the linens were updated and nice, there is nothing else nice about the resort. We initially tried to enjoy dinner in the pub, hoping to avoid a younger crowd and found out we had to grill the dinner ourselves. At this point we decided to try the dining room.

The dining room was dated and in serious need of a deep clean - think cobwebs and dust on the trellis and ivy around the room. I ordered a burger with poutine, the burger was average, but the poutine came out cold. Not just the gravy but the fries as well. I sent my meal back asking for a warm one and the meal came out again cold. At which point, I asked for it not to be brought back. It should not have come out cold the first time. I was given a discount for my meal, it was not comped, and yet I only received a portion.

We decided to return to the pub for a few drinks and a few rounds of pool. After one game, all of the staff from the hotel started to trickle in. They sat down and helped themselves to the table that we were using, at which point my spouse grabbed our stuff and said that he would move it for them, they thanked him instead of apologizing for taking over our table. They then badgered us until we stopped playing pool. By the time we stopped playing pool, the entire staff was in the pub incredibly intoxicated. Several were doing drugs in the washrooms. We ended up leaving the pub because of the complete take over by staff. This is the most unprofessional showing I have personally ever seen in a hotel by staff in my entire life.

Our room was only a few doors down from the pub, at the posted closing time of midnight, the doors to the pub were closed and locked and the music turned up to unreasonable volumes, clearly so the staff could continue to party.

It is now 12:30AM and I couldn't be bothered to wait until I was home to write this review. This hotel has some serious issues and flaws. The staff are unprofessional. Everything is hugely over priced (fuel is over $.30 more than Lake Louise only 40 minutes down the road). The property is outdated and in previous reviews the general manager has blamed it on the lease with Parks Canada. This is purely greed with nothing to back it up. The prices at the Fairmont are better and the quality is leaps and bounds what the Crossing has to offer. I would never return to this resort and would rather sooner sleep in my vehicle if I knew I was able to get my payment back.

Shame on you, Crossing, you have the opportunity to be the best, and you choose to be the greediest and capitalize on the fact that you're the only game in the area.

Room Tip: There are none, the beds are hard and all doubles.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Avana G
Reviewed 9 August 2014

First the good parts:
The rooms are clean, the beds big and nice, the location is spectacular and the staff friendly.
Now the parts that need improvement:
Although the rooms (standard) are clean they were decorated in the sixties and no improvements have been made since. The price for one night is more than I paid for two nights in Jasper, but because the location is so good, they are very busy. The food on location was average at most and very expensive ($15 for a hotdog with some chips is out of proportion), the menu was extensive but at least a third was out of stock (this was in high season at the start of lunch and dinner time!). You have to pay $10 per day for wifi, this is 2014 for crying out loud! And the owner decided to add a 2% tax to the dinner bills because he has to pay the highest environmental tax in Canada, according to a waitress, as it isn't expensive enough yet!
If we are going back to that part of Canada again we will make sure to book an extra night in both Jasper or Banff and drive up and down the road a bit more so we don't have to stay here again.
I don't like being this negative but the prices are ridiculously high compared to the service that it leaves me no choice.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Maarten B
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Overpriced, ring around the bathtub, ceiling fan was not working, small room. Called ahead to see if we should book a room before we get there. We were told that it was not necessary, had lots of rooms and that we would get 20% off on arrival. .Got there, there were only two rooms left and we did not get the discount. Pub was nice, good service.Definitely not worth 200$!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family