“Poor service”

Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were a work group that booked a private tour with White Mountain Adventures. Few members of our group (not myself) had dealt with Gordon in the past and had great experiences like described below.

However, on our 2nd trip we had a completely different and terrible experience. I would NOT recommend this group for this reason.

For one, we were asked to meet at the gas plus station, which is in an area by Fortress Mountain where there is no signs to mark the site. It took some people time to find it. Second, the site of meeting was in a dead zone for cellphones. The morning of our meeting, there was a blizzard that made it difficult for a few of our group members to get to the place in time. THere were 2 ambulances on the road taking care of people with cars in the ditch. So my friend and I got to the site late - 25 min late. Turns out the driver/guide of the group left us after just waiting 20min. The group members were very upset by having to leave a few members behind. THey did not have a good time.

I was one of the two in the party that did not make it in time. We ended up WASTING 3 HOURS driving to/back from Fortress without a word or notice. There is a gas station there with an attendant. They could have left a message with them advising us of a new location to meet. So I emailed for a refund, as we expected a refund for incomplete services rendered. It was after all a private group event. There were no other groups to take out, and it made no sense to us that WMA expects us to show up on time when the weather is awful.

So we emailed Gordon Stermann for a refund. His exact words were "I can't unfortunately offer a refund due to the road conditions since they weren't bad enough that the rest of the group or our guide could not get there. ( I do take note of your good suggestion to meet guests at the Casino for future meets). What I can do however is to offer you 50% of the value of the trip towards either another trip next winter or towards our Sunshine Meadows shuttle bus this summer. All I will need is each person's name and address and I will send a gift certificate."

If you were in my shoes, I hope you would ask: Why would I return when the first time around, paying FULL price did not guarantee the driver/guide was going to wait!?!!! And why am I paying again!!!? I have better things to do with my 3 hours. There was an acknowledgement of meeting in another site, but not without suggesting that it was OUR fault for not showing up on time. I have let them know of my dissatisfaction.

The remainder of the group did not enjoy themselves because they were worried about us, and my friend and I did not get to go at all. This company made money of our private group price and delivered CRAP service to ALL members. We will definitely NOT be going with them again, and I would highly recommend considering another group if you need one. They have definitely lost repeat customers, which we were willing to be.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Milli G

St. Albert, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Sunshine Meadows”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Great adventure snow shoeing the top of the world. Our guide, Thalia, was knowledgeable and supportive. The trip was planned to ensure all levels were comfortable. The meadows were covered in over 2.2 meters of snow and still beautiful. I have never toboganned down a hill sitting on the back part of my snow shoes and what a blast.....and a soft landing.
Great way to spend the afternoon.

Visited April 2014
The Netherlands
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Wonderful snowshoeing trip at Sunshine Meadows!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We picked this snowshoeing tour because we wanted to do the snowshoeing in Banff National Park and White Mountain Adventures provided a perfect trip! Our (very small: just 3 guests) group was picked up at their hotels and driven to the base station of Sunshine Mountain. Guide Ron was very friendly, knowlegdable and nice. Up with the gondola & Strawberry Chairlift. This tour is in a secluded part of the mountain (no skiing there) and it was so quiet and beautiful with the snow falling etc. Mind you, snowshoeing is HARD WORK .. especially if you're not used to the high altitude! Reasonably priced, this is a perfect halfday winter-activity.

Visited February 2014
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Excellent snowshoeing at the top of Fortress Mountain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

A friend of mine wanted to book this snowshoeing trip to Fortress Mountain. At the beginning I was somewhat hesitant because I could not think of anything special about a snowshoeing trip but I was so wrong!!
You can choose to meet at a gas station on Highway 40 or White Mountain Adventures (WMA) can pick you up in Banff on Canmore, we choose the first option. Mike, our guide, was already at the gas station waiting for us. We were a group of 8. We were shuttled to the top of Fortress and then we went snowshoeing. Fortress is closed to the public so you don't have to worry about crowds. Mike was an excellent guide, explaining the variety of tracks we saw and taking us on all types of terrain, packed snow, powder, uphill and downhill. Half way through the trip we stopped for some hot chocolate and cookies. I really enjoyed it. The views at the top are great! and the weather was also incredible, sunny, no wind and mild for mid January.
I hope that before the end of the season I can do the snowshoeing in Sunshine with WMA. I highly recoomend them.

Visited January 2014
Airdrie, Canada
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Spectacular Day Snowshoeing in Sunshine Meadows”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

What a fabulous day at Sunshine. We called to book the tour on Friday morning and it was sold out. Thankfully WMA was able to get a second guide so we could still go. Jonathan was great. He's very knowledgeable and was more than happy to go at the pace of the group. The conditions were perfect! Warm, clear, sunny and no wind. We had thought of just renting snowshoes and going off on our own somewhere in Banff but so glad we did the tour. Make sure you take water and dress appropriatly. Highly recommend for something different and fun to do in Banff.

Visited January 2014