“Nice, Clean and Quiet”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banff
Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 28 Banff B&B and Inns
Calgary
“Nice, Clean and Quiet”
Reviewed 25 January 2010

We stayed at Cottage Bed and Breakfast for a romantic weekend and enjoyed our stay immensely. For an inexpensive B&B it is really well kept up and the owner obviously cares a great deal about her place. The no breakfast option suited us fine as I am not big on continental breakfasts anyway. Reading about the "funny rules" review makes me think what spoiled brats people are. A few rules to keep the place looking nice are easy to bear and are very understandable considering it is not a hotel but the owners residence.
If you want a quiet and clean place to stay in Banff a short walk from the main strip, then this is your place. The owner told me that they are renovating the basement and installing a proper kitchen for next summer. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mr_F_Genius

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Leura, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2009

We stayed in Cottage B & B with 4 adults and had both rooms and the living area available to us. The owner indicated that our stay fell in her scheduled days off and that it therefore would be a self catered stay, where she would make a mini kitchenette available in a cupboard, which was not a problem to us.

When we arrived all these funny rules were pointed out to us and there was also a welcoming letter that pointed all of these out: take your shoes off, after showering clean the tiles, be quite after 10 pm etc. In it self we didn't have an issues with these, however it makes you feel a bit funny.

The mini kitchenette was a cupboard with a fridge, a kettle and a toaster and some plates and glasses. Washing up needed to occur in the bathroom in a provided plastic tub. the kettle had to be taken out of the cup board and toaster needed to remain in the cup board.

The accomodation is very reasonably priced and conveniently located near down town Banff. The beds are quite hard, however all in all if you can put up with the funny rules and are looking for budget accommodation close to the centre of town you might like to try it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank knhAustralia
shaganappicalgary
Reviewed 30 August 2009

I can only sigh relief reading the review concerning the couple who reported, "If I want to clean a bathroom I will stay home and . . .". At first we were stunned by the owner's attitude towards us, that we were even daring to choose their residence regarding our vacation. We felt as though we were a terrible imposition. I STRONGLY recommend that people do not choose this establishment. The rules (wordy, over emphasized and a little worrying to say the least!), were nothing compared to the rudeness of the owner's themselves.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shaganappicalgary
spuddin, Owner at Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 28 May 2010
I wish I could remember what happened to warrant such negative comments from those guests. I realize that we may have been a little less sociable than usual during the summer season of 2009: we were away for most of it because my father passed away and we also had to put down our dog companion shortly before. Once we resumed the B&B operations, there were days when I admit that it was a bit harder to put on a brave face. However, I doubt very much that we would have been so unwelcoming that people felt they were an imposition. It is hard to respond to accusations of being rude without any specifics, and I urge future guests not to judge our character only from this review.
Josée, owner
Toronto
Reviewed 27 July 2009

My husband and I recently stayed 2 nights at the Cottage B&B. Our original reservation, made back in January, was for a “3 nights stay with breakfast” in one of the bedrooms upstairs. However, a couple of months ago, the owner emailed us and explained that due to a family situation, she can now only offer us a “2 nights, self-catered stay” in the downstairs suite. We didn't mind the change in our reservation as we understood and sympathized with her situation.

Imagine our surprise when on arrival we were shown the vacuum cleaner and cleaning supplies as well as being given verbal and written instructions on cleaning the shower after every use! We’ve stayed in many B&Bs in Ontario and have never been asked to do the cleaning as part of our stay. We were left bewildered if this is a requirement by all B&B owners in Banff or if it is just by this particular owner. Shouldn’t the cleaning of the unit be the owner’s responsibility? Shouldn’t it be included in the price we pay for our stay?

In the end, we only did a few things on the cleaning list (we didn’t want her charging our credit card for not cleaning). We squeegeed the tiles in the bath but did not polish them (she has a special cleanser that she wanted us to use to keep her tiles shiny); we washed the coffee cups that we used; and my husband bundled up the trash and took it down the street to the garbage bin.

The downstairs unit itself is very basic. It has 2 bedrooms, one with a double bed and the other with 2 twin beds. The living room and bathroom are shared. The mini fridge, toaster, electric kettle, dishes and cutlery are tucked into a small alcove. The only sink (and water source) available is in the bathroom.

If we ever decide to visit Banff again, we definitely will not stay at the Cottage B&B. We will look for a place that does not require us to do the cleaning. People go on holiday to relax and have fun. If I want to clean bathrooms, I’ll stay home and clean my own!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lovetotravel168
spuddin, Owner at Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 May 2010
I had to contact all my guests last May to make changes to their reservations because my father had liver cancer and his health was declining a lot faster than expected. We had to urgently go to Montreal where my parents live. The only way I could make people's stay still possible was to offer a self-catered option in the suite because I did not know when we would be back in Banff or when I would be able to resume the B&B operations. I did not want to just cancel everybody's reservations without offering them the option since it is really difficult to find affordable accommodation in Banff at the last minute. All this re-arrangement was done via e-mail, while in Montreal, in between hospital visits, trying to juggle everything that was going on. In the end, my father passed away mid-June and we did not get back to Banff until early July. I did not resume the B&B operations until late July as we had to deal with the loss of our beloved dog of 13 years when we got back. In hindsight, maybe I should have looked after myself and not try to accommodate everyone? Thankfully, most of the guests who opted for a self-catered stay were very appreciative of our efforts.
I would like to make a few things clear though: I do not and never did make my guests clean the suite after their stay. I do have everything available should they feel they need to tidy up during their stay. We have hard water which leaves the shower tiles very spotty, so there is a squeegee to remove the excess water. I do not tell my guests to polish the shower tiles after their shower. Yes, I ask people to remove their shoes at the entrance to protect the hard wood floor: that is the reason why it is still nice looking. I do not charge people's credit card if they do not do any cleaning. These guests had the choice to have the whole suite to themselves for a self-catered stay instead of cancelling their stay in a single room. They did not have to share the suite with another party. I urge potential guests to look at the other positive reviews and not judge my establishment based only on a few of the less flattering reviews. I also encourage future guests to have a look at our website and see the new kitchen that we have installed during the winter. Josée Richard, owner
Wavre, Belgium
Reviewed 21 August 2008

It took me ages to find a place to stay in Banff... Why? The reason is simple : everything is so expensive there! So I was nicely surprised when I found this place. We stayed in one of the 2 rooms down the house and had to share the living room and the bathroom with the other 2 persons room, which was absolutely no issue. The breakfast is included in the price & is very good. Josée, a French Canadian is very friendly. Definitely a place to stay!

• Liked — good value for money
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple