“Great Service!”
Review of Snowtips-Bactrax

Snowtips-Bactrax
Ranked #24 of 43 Outdoor Activities in Banff
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Hired ski gear from Snowtips for self, husband & teenage daughter. The staff were very attentive to our needs, checked out individual preferences, looked after fussy teenager when she wanted to change boots, & fussy husband who wanted to try different kinds of skis. All in all were very patient and an absolute pleasure to deal with. Oh - did I say the gear was good & in great condition? Highly recommended.

1  Thank zydeco57

Reviewed 20 March 2011

These guys rented me an excellent high performance board in good condition. After reading reviews on Snowtops here on Trip Advisor, I'd stayed clear and hired a board else where in town already. After being supplied with a poor board of the wrong size elsewhere and not finding anything small enough in the high performance category, I had to go with Snowtips. They were great - discussed what sort of boarding I did, if there was anything I wanted to try then pulled out a selection of boards (in the right size) for me to try.

There is optional damage insurance (I didn't take it but on retrospect probably would recommend you do).

Had a great time on the board, it was perfect for me.

On return, two technicians inspected the board scrupulously - they found a small dent on one of the edges. (It's rocky out on those mountains!) Wear and tear, I'd say. Luckliy they agreed and there was no charge but for moment I thought otherwise!

I'd recommend Snowtips for their expert advice and range of equipment. They appear to rent good stuff and expect it returned in the same condition. If you're concerned - take out the insurance.

Alternatively, go elsewhere and rent crappy equipment that others haven't bothered to look after.

Reviewed 4 February 2011

We hired some gear from snowtips in banff. The staff were really helpful and knew what they were talking about. The gear was all in good condition. It was comfortably and cheap. I will get gear off them next time

Reviewed 22 January 2011

Be VERY careful when renting equipement from this shop. They will rent you faulty/damaged equipement, pressure you into buying damage insurance which doesn't cover the damage previously done to it and upon return charge you for the damage that was done before you even walked out the door.
Should you rent from there, I strongly recommend you get a full inspection report done and signed by a staff member or manager, also take a picture to prove the condition of the equipement at the time of rental.

Management response:Responded 31 January 2011

We are sorry to read your report of Poor service and faulty equipment. Snowtips has been in the business of renting equipment in Banff for over 30 years. We have a system in place where all skis and snowboards are inspected upon return for any damage then carried directly to our workshop in the basement where they are inspected again and repairs to the bases are filled, edges are redone, bases are waxed then returned upstairs for rental. Renting out a damaged snowboard or skis is not possible. We do live in the Canadian Rocky Mountains so Rock damage Insurance is offered to all customers, but it is there their choice to accept it or not. Our equipment is used for 2-3 years depending on the use, then sold second hand to 1st time skiers or snowboarders, repeat rental customers who want to own their own, or customers looking for great deals on second hand equipment! Each year we are sold out before the new rental season begins.

Reviewed 9 September 2009

We took the Vermillion Lakes bike tour and also visited the garden/view at the Administration building. Our guide, Lorne, was beyond excellent, and the (presumed) owner of the bike shop was a joy as well. Bikes and helmets were great. Price an excellent bargain. We've done almost every summer activity in the area and thus was one of the best!