“Terrible, time to demolish and renovate.”
Review of King Edward Hotel

King Edward Hotel
Ranked #26 of 28 Banff B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 March 2012

As soon as I checked in and saw my room I wanted OUT! This place is a hole. The bathroom was all mould and mildew, the bed visibly was sinking in the middle. There were stains in the carpeting and the hallway looked like some people had used it as a bathroom. What a shame, I'm sure at one time this was a great placed to stay. The location is great, right downtown, the name sounds good too. But this place is way overdue for a renovation and re-branding.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank robby l

Reviewed 24 February 2012

The moment I walked in to the hotel I was disgusted. The lobby is non-existent. To go up, you MUST use the elevator and you have to have a room key to operate it. The elevator has broken floor tiles and dirty glass. Not to mention there is no parking near the hotel and you have to try to get parking in the one spot of loading tomtake your luggag/gear outof your car. There are no tollies to assist with bringing your luggage up either so if ou have lots of stuff it means multiple trips to your room. Parking is $5.00 in covered parking that is not conected to the hotel and spaces are limited. The hallways were disgusting as well. They look dirty and unvacuumed. We stayed Feb 18-22, 2012. I had read reviews about bed bugs that morning so I knew I would do a complete check. The room was awful. The carpet was old and dirty and was actually missing pieces. I moved the bed to check for bed bugs between the mattresses and by the baseboards and did not see anything. Thankfully we did not get any bed bug bites either during our stay. We were on the second floor. The bed was propped up with an ice bucket though! Also under the bed and behind it was disgusting and must not have been cleaned or many months. The headboard was also broken. I was happy to find there was a mini fridge in our room. The curtains were very dusty as well and did not look clean. The bathroom was somewhat decent as it has relatively new flooring. There is no noise control in the hotel at all. You can hear every footstep in the halls. We were there over the weekend. There was partying going on in the hotel all weekend especially before and after the bar as I am guessing that's where people went when it got a little more quiet between 11pm and 2am. At 2am the partying was back on. I called the front desk at 10 pm and they did speak to some guests but as soon as the agent was back downstairs the noise started again. They were not enforcing noise control at all after 2am because there is no one on the front desk after 10:30pm! This was the scenario for our first two nights. The third night was a bit better but as soon as people get up in the AM you are up too! The last night in the room above us the couple was fighting with each other making loud banging and screaming and swearing. I guess this is what we get for trying to vacation on a budget. We tried to inform the front desk of our issues when we checked out again but the agent did not seem to speak or understand English as she had no response other than a smile and have a nice day. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone except rowdy 18 year olds. Even though the price was about $90 a night I wold never sta here again. I would like t sleep at night and not worry about the bugs!

5  Thank Mountain_bliss_girl
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We were planning to stay in 310 for two weeks but on the third night my friend who was sleeping on the fold out bed woke up with bites all over her!we told the manager he said
No we don't have bed bugs you must of for them somewhere else but clearly
Not from then other comments so definally a bed bug warning!! She still has the bites and they are super itchy so far staying on the 2 nd floor we haven't gotten anymore until tonight we stopped a bug on our bed that looks like a bed bug so fingers crossed on our thank god last night here we don't get bitten!!

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Brookchook
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed there on February 10th. We soon found ourselves covered in bed bug bites - which was confirmed by a doctor. Terrible - very painful and ugly bites all over. Although we were initially happy with the room based on a good price ($60), and great location, the bed bug thing is just awful. Once they appeared they seem to take a long time to stop itching, and you can barely sleep with the itching. They are much worse than mosquito bites - they are raised welts. They also might scar. Be careful. This was a room with two twin beds. Otherwise, we would have been happy with the room based on the price.

4  Thank CalgaryABtvlr
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at the King Edward on Feb 18th for one night. We went with some friends, with the intention of partying so the location was perfect, and the price was right. The hotel is rundown, but we didn't expect anything fancy given the reviews and the price (also everything else was unavailable). We were in room 311, our friends were in room 309.

My husband woke up the next morning with huge welts all over his body.....some ugly little bedbugs had a good feast, and while I was okay we are certain it was bedbugs. Our friends in room 309 were spared as well.

All in all, we knew the risk, but didn't think it would ACTUALLY happen! Gotta love the irony of life. So, bottom line. bedbugs are definitely a risk if you stay at the King Edward. Even if you don't get bitten, take the proper precautions to ensure you dont take them away from the hotel, infest your house or anyone else's.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank whitem82
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I read some of the reviews on tripadvisor before coming to Banff and I must say I was quite scared of coming to this hotel and didn't have any high hopes, but I was so wrong!!
We stayed in room 308 and had a lovely view over the mountains, no problems with the night club (we stayed from monday to thursday though), great service and located right in town.
I can highly recommend this hotel for future travelers!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 308 which was a lovely double room with everything we needed!
2  Thank jojoonthemove_12
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The location of this hotel is great - however it is a run down hotel.
People need to come with an open mind about it, we were worried because of the Bed Bug reviews but the 4 of us who stayed found that we were all fine the following day. The only strange comments I must make is that in our room the peep hole in the door was the incorrect way around so we couldn't see out and people could see in (really creepy actually - we shoved tissue in the hole so people wouldn't be able to see in) and then the key chain on the door would not work - the chain was too short.
The room was clean, and the staff were very friendly. Overall not bad for a cheap hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends