“Don't do it”
Review of King Edward Hotel

King Edward Hotel
Ranked #26 of 28 Banff B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Took almost an hour to check in. Beds are horrible. Hotels in desperate need of a renovation, old and dusty. May be cheap but not worth any money. Also bedbugs.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Sp1991

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Yuck! The carpets were gross, the comforter was disgusting! Stains all over it, I had to call for a new one. Every room was partying and it sounded like they were in my room, I could hear neighbors having a shower. There was no fans in the bathroom or the room to drone out sound. Not to mention, the view out my window was a parkade! I was a really bad stay. I may not be complaining if the price was half the actual cost.....then it would be worth it. When checking out we were asked how our stay was, I said 'horrible'! He did not even respond!.......oooookay. Never again. I wish I could get my money back.

Room Tip: Dont get a room facing the parkade!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank zinernon C
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Had no choice of places to stay and this one was reasonable. That is the only pro! It is old, dirty and run down. The room was small and warn out. The view was of the roof top and a lovely cigarette filled beer can. The bed was hard and had springs sticking out!!The room was 26 degrees and the thermostat didn't work. The first impression is a "lobby" that is 5 feet by 5 feet in a glass enclosure. Stains on the carpet, mildew in the bathroom. You have your choice of plugging in the tv, safe or coffee make, but only 2 at a time!!! The elevator is dirty and has broken tile (it is street facing and could be beautiful). The parking is a joke, and scary to get into. This place needs a complete overhaul as the location is mint. Right downtown Banff!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank sherbear71
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We visit Banff several times a year and always stay at the King Eddy. It has a GREAT location and is one of the cheapest hotels in Banff = Perfect! However it is an old hotel and has seen better times. I think this hotel is a great choice if you're only using your room to sleep in and not to spend half your day in your room. It is very basic but provides everything you need. I've always found the staff pretty good to deal with although the last time we were here, no one had refilled our coffee when they cleaned the room so on our way out for the evening I mentioned it to the kid behind the counter. He handed me all the coffee and sugar with a big smile on his face, so I carried coffee, sugar and creamer around in my purse the whole night. A little annoying but we laughed about it. The walls are a little thin, it's old, so in the morning when people are getting up early and yelling down the hall at their mate, you can hear it. Like I said, we've never had a bad experience here and although it's a lil run down and old, it has everything you need while in Banff. If you want to spend most of your time in your hotel room then I would opt for a fancier place. I also read a few complaints about having to use your room key to operate the elevator, I LOVE this idea. After all, you are in the MIDDLE of one of the biggest tourist cities in Canada which is flooded with people all year round, so there wouldn't be anything to stop someone from walking into the hotel, going to any floor and breaking in to a room. This offers a bit of comfort in knowing that no one who isn't supposed to be in the hotel is. Great security!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoCanadian
Reviewed 7 March 2012

As soon as I checked in and saw my room I wanted OUT! This place is a hole. The bathroom was all mould and mildew, the bed visibly was sinking in the middle. There were stains in the carpeting and the hallway looked like some people had used it as a bathroom. What a shame, I'm sure at one time this was a great placed to stay. The location is great, right downtown, the name sounds good too. But this place is way overdue for a renovation and re-branding.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank robby l
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The moment I walked in to the hotel I was disgusted. The lobby is non-existent. To go up, you MUST use the elevator and you have to have a room key to operate it. The elevator has broken floor tiles and dirty glass. Not to mention there is no parking near the hotel and you have to try to get parking in the one spot of loading tomtake your luggag/gear outof your car. There are no tollies to assist with bringing your luggage up either so if ou have lots of stuff it means multiple trips to your room. Parking is $5.00 in covered parking that is not conected to the hotel and spaces are limited. The hallways were disgusting as well. They look dirty and unvacuumed. We stayed Feb 18-22, 2012. I had read reviews about bed bugs that morning so I knew I would do a complete check. The room was awful. The carpet was old and dirty and was actually missing pieces. I moved the bed to check for bed bugs between the mattresses and by the baseboards and did not see anything. Thankfully we did not get any bed bug bites either during our stay. We were on the second floor. The bed was propped up with an ice bucket though! Also under the bed and behind it was disgusting and must not have been cleaned or many months. The headboard was also broken. I was happy to find there was a mini fridge in our room. The curtains were very dusty as well and did not look clean. The bathroom was somewhat decent as it has relatively new flooring. There is no noise control in the hotel at all. You can hear every footstep in the halls. We were there over the weekend. There was partying going on in the hotel all weekend especially before and after the bar as I am guessing that's where people went when it got a little more quiet between 11pm and 2am. At 2am the partying was back on. I called the front desk at 10 pm and they did speak to some guests but as soon as the agent was back downstairs the noise started again. They were not enforcing noise control at all after 2am because there is no one on the front desk after 10:30pm! This was the scenario for our first two nights. The third night was a bit better but as soon as people get up in the AM you are up too! The last night in the room above us the couple was fighting with each other making loud banging and screaming and swearing. I guess this is what we get for trying to vacation on a budget. We tried to inform the front desk of our issues when we checked out again but the agent did not seem to speak or understand English as she had no response other than a smile and have a nice day. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone except rowdy 18 year olds. Even though the price was about $90 a night I wold never sta here again. I would like t sleep at night and not worry about the bugs!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mountain_bliss_girl
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We were planning to stay in 310 for two weeks but on the third night my friend who was sleeping on the fold out bed woke up with bites all over her!we told the manager he said
No we don't have bed bugs you must of for them somewhere else but clearly
Not from then other comments so definally a bed bug warning!! She still has the bites and they are super itchy so far staying on the 2 nd floor we haven't gotten anymore until tonight we stopped a bug on our bed that looks like a bed bug so fingers crossed on our thank god last night here we don't get bitten!!

• Stayed: February 2012