“AWFUL SERVICE”
Review of Blue Canoe - CLOSED

Blue Canoe
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Canoe is a must visit for locals and visitors alike, we offer Canoe, Kayak, Cruiser Bike rentals and guided Voyager Canoe tours everyday of summer. A 5 min walk form Banff Ave, come down to enjoy the sights and sounds of the Bow River. Ice cream and refreshments available - the experience on the water? Just read our reviews.
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The canoe rental was good in theory but the service was abysmal. The young teenage ish guys working there barely spoke two words to us, getting us in and out as fast as possible, They didn't even bother to tell us that if you paddle downstream there is a waterfall you will get sucked into. My boyfriend and I couldn't help but be dismayed at the pitiful quality of workers here. This was August of this summer (2013) and I definitely would recommend you go elsewhere, especially for the price. Management needs to hire employees who actually give a s**t. Never have I ever seen such consistently terrible employees in one establishment. The one blonde-ish guy seemed to be some type of manager or upper level position and did not speak to us, just grabbed our license and threw it back at us after he was done. The younger guys were equally as bad. Such laughably terrible service. We still had a good time because we chose to, but had our attitudes been different the service would have ruined it for us. Avoid.

8  Thank Karmaloop339

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I had the great opportunity to go canoeing with my friend Jaqui. We used our free canoe session and still have 1 more to use. The staff were awesome, so kind, friendly and helpful. It was such a lovely day on the Bow River in Banff, birds were out, Mountains looked exquisite and there were many more people like us who had a ripper of a time canoeing and paddling about.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We took this trip over the weekend and did the voyager canoe with a guide. The views are breath taking, the water blue and the sun was out! We had 5 kids with us age 6 to 14. Most of us had experience paddling but even the newbies managed fine. The current was reasonable for all. Our guide was Australian and full of info on Banff and the surrounding area. Everyone learned a lot of info about the river, the voyagers and the trading companies. I really think the kids learned more in an hour canoe trip then studying this in school. As a native Calgarian this was something I really wanted to experience! Loved it. And all 5 kids jumped in the Bow River at the end! Very cold water, but so refreshing on a very hot day! Everyone should do this once!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Deciding to play tourist in our own backyard, we booked a WagJag 'deal' and snagged this tour for $20/pp instead of the usuall $40/pp. We had a guide (dressed up in 'historical' attire) who gave us some history about the area and voyageur canoeing (always fun to learn about Canadian history from an Aussie guide!). We practiced paddling on dry land (helpful for some who had not paddled before) before getting into the canoe, which was a lovely reproduction of a painted voyageur canoe. The canoe could seat 12 guests, but we had a total of 8 in our canoe for this tour. The guide should have mentioned not to change position without warning, though....we almost had an incident when two people at the front changed positions without warning anyone! We paddled a ways up the Bow River from our launch point - beautiful scenery. We took a short break, then headed back. We were lucky enough to see a muskrat and more lovely scenery. Our guide (Emma) had mentioned how fast the Voyageurs were thought to travel and she said that we would get to try it (like 40 paddles a minute!), but we never did try it. On the way back, we could see a fort-type structure that is a museum in Banff - it would have been fun to paddle down to that area and back, but that was not done. We headed back to the dock/launch area, and we were rewarded with iced tea and yummy maple cookies. Overall, this tour was good in that it provided accurate historical information on the area, David Thompson, and Voyageurs. Great fun paddling and enjoying the scenery. If you can snag a deal, it is totally worth it! But at $40/pp, I would feel that it was overpriced for what you get. $20/pp made me feel that I got value for my dollar. Don't get me wrong - it was a lovely trip and we had a good time, for sure. But I think I had a really good time at $20, not sure if it would have been as good at $40.

2  Thank loves2camp
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We rented a kayak for two hours and while the guy(Chris I think) was helpful, the experience was very lackluster. There is no really incredible view, and once you get to the lake the sound of any animals and quiet are drowned out by the highway that is leering above you. You should spend the 50/60$ on one hour at Lake Louise or Lake Minnewanka.

2  Thank Restaurantour