Stayed here for 2 weeks in Jan 2013 as a couple.
First time in Banff, what a lovely town it is.
Buffalo Mountain Lodge is a 3 minute uphill drive from the main Banff Ave. Perfect if you don't need to be staying downtown. Uphill walk would take about 15minutes if not driving.
Our room was #402. First floor one bed apartment. Nice enough living area with kitchenette in corner. 2stove electric hob, sink (no draining area), kettle, coffee maker, toaster, microwave.
Real fireplace in living area (very nice, cleaned and re-stocked daily) 2 seater sofa bed, chair & 4 place dining table. No TV in living area which wasn't an issue for me.
Bedroom is decent size, huge bed, cabinet with big drawers, old 28" CRT TV and VCR. Yes that's a VCR. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember them, although I can't remember the last time I used one.
Bathroom OK. Normal style Canadian/American bath, a bit smaller and shallower than we're used to in England.
Daily housekeeping guys were polite, reliable and effective.
Free wi-fi. Undoubtedly the most unreliable wi-fi I have used in any hotel within the last 5 years, even in the main reception area. Considering how many networks this place has available it's surprising how many were so poor. Thought it was my equipment at first, but tried and struggled with all 5 devices to maintain anything other than email. But if you're going to Banff the chances are that you're not going there to sit in your room anyway, so it was more of an annoyance than a problem for me.
Fairly large outdoor hot tub which I didn't use (too cold!) so can't comment on.
Travel agents in UK claim these apartments sleep 4, I can't imagine 4 people (with ski/board gear) sharing for more than 2 nights.
The apartment heating is warm air which, whilst effective at heating, both my partner and I found to be very dry on the throat.
There is a nice restaurant on site called the Sleeping Buffalo which isn't the cheapest around but served some of the best food I had in Banff, and the breakfasts there are excellent. Full breakfast menu served until 11am, perfect for the odd lazy day.
Gets busier at weekends obviously and on one occasion we had a bunch of noisy and inconsiderate people stay in the apartment below us who refused to be nice after I asked them to respect other peoples peace. One call to front desk and the problem stopped in 5 minutes which was kind of the staff. I hate complaining but the hotel staff (in the middle of the night) were very good.
Overall the Lodge is pretty nice and set in a nice location. Personally I wouldn't like to have to rely on buses or walking to and from town though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge is a peaceful retreat on Tunnel Mountain in Banff, AB. The lodge is surrounded by 9 acres of towering fir, pine, and spruce trees, yet just a 15 minute walk or 3 minute drive from the shopping, nightlife and restaurants that are on offer in downtown Banff. A favourite visitor pastime is to observe the deer and elk who frequently nibble on the lawn, right outside the lodge's windows. The lodge has 108 guest rooms, an outdoor hot tub, and several options for dining, making it the ideal location for a weekend getaway, wedding, or corporate retreat. Buffalo Mountain Lodge is part of the Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts' family of companies. Rooms at the lodge have fieldstone wood-burning fireplaces, cozy duvets, LCD televisions and Blu-ray players. Many feature patios or balconies. Each room has been carefully decorated to reflect the mountain lifestyle in Banff-the accommodation is anything but 'cookie cutter.' The outdoor stainless steel hot tub is best enjoyed after an invigorating hike, bike or ski on one of the nearby trails-or perhaps to aid digestion after a sumptuous meal in the lodge's highly acclaimed restaurant, Sleeping Buffalo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Buffalo Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buffalo Mountain Hotel Banff
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge Banff
- Buffulo Mountain Lodge