“A slice of heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Brooks, Canada
“A slice of heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

The reason I chose this lodge was mainly due to the room having a wood burning fireplace, the claw footed tub, private balcony, and super comfy beds were just icing on the cake. From check in to check out everything was a breeze, no hassles, no confusion, quick & painless. I will definately be returning because this is the way to stay instead of just a hotel room. We were far enough away from the hustle and bustle of listening to downtown banff but close enough to join in the action when we chose to. This lodge was a 6 star on a 5 star scale in my books, I may never try another place out in Banff.

Room Tip: I chose the premium queen room and it was very spacious for my family of four. Only downsides were t...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan P
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our overnight accommodations. Our Premier rooms have all been recently upgraded to offer all the amenities that you would require. Hope to welcome you back again soon!

Buffalo Mountain Lodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

close to everything, and very nice rooms for a good price during ski season. food was average but it close to great restaurants so it doesnt matter. the heated flooring the bathroom was a great touch the the place was very clean.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank nartx84
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your overnight accomodations and the heated floors in the bathrooms. I do apologize that you found the food to be average, this is not what we strive for and hope we can welcome you back again in the future to ensure that you do receive the highest quality of food standard we uphold.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks in Jan 2013 as a couple.

First time in Banff, what a lovely town it is.
Buffalo Mountain Lodge is a 3 minute uphill drive from the main Banff Ave. Perfect if you don't need to be staying downtown. Uphill walk would take about 15minutes if not driving.

Our room was #402. First floor one bed apartment. Nice enough living area with kitchenette in corner. 2stove electric hob, sink (no draining area), kettle, coffee maker, toaster, microwave.
Real fireplace in living area (very nice, cleaned and re-stocked daily) 2 seater sofa bed, chair & 4 place dining table. No TV in living area which wasn't an issue for me.
Bedroom is decent size, huge bed, cabinet with big drawers, old 28" CRT TV and VCR. Yes that's a VCR. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember them, although I can't remember the last time I used one.
Bathroom OK. Normal style Canadian/American bath, a bit smaller and shallower than we're used to in England.
Daily housekeeping guys were polite, reliable and effective.
Free wi-fi. Undoubtedly the most unreliable wi-fi I have used in any hotel within the last 5 years, even in the main reception area. Considering how many networks this place has available it's surprising how many were so poor. Thought it was my equipment at first, but tried and struggled with all 5 devices to maintain anything other than email. But if you're going to Banff the chances are that you're not going there to sit in your room anyway, so it was more of an annoyance than a problem for me.
Fairly large outdoor hot tub which I didn't use (too cold!) so can't comment on.
Travel agents in UK claim these apartments sleep 4, I can't imagine 4 people (with ski/board gear) sharing for more than 2 nights.
The apartment heating is warm air which, whilst effective at heating, both my partner and I found to be very dry on the throat.

There is a nice restaurant on site called the Sleeping Buffalo which isn't the cheapest around but served some of the best food I had in Banff, and the breakfasts there are excellent. Full breakfast menu served until 11am, perfect for the odd lazy day.

Gets busier at weekends obviously and on one occasion we had a bunch of noisy and inconsiderate people stay in the apartment below us who refused to be nice after I asked them to respect other peoples peace. One call to front desk and the problem stopped in 5 minutes which was kind of the staff. I hate complaining but the hotel staff (in the middle of the night) were very good.

Overall the Lodge is pretty nice and set in a nice location. Personally I wouldn't like to have to rely on buses or walking to and from town though.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PumiceMin
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I was here over Christmas with my Father who has not been to Banff since the 70's. I won't say I hated my time in Banff, we loved the views and time away form the hotel, but to be honest I wish I had made a different choice.
We had rooms 808 and 807

Positives;
- There was a fireplace, which I found to be a treat in MY room
- Check in and check out was very fast.
- There were lots of people, but it was still quiet for us.
- TV has been upgraded and there was a BluRay player.
- The Christmas buffet was 'okay'.
- Staff was friendly.
- These are the single Lodge Queen rooms and the size was great for one person, I thought.

Negatives;
-There was a fireplace in my Father's room, but at first the flu was stuck closed (even though latch was pulled correctly), and a room full of smoke was no fun. It was then stuck OPEN, and a super dry room at night was not fun either.
- In my room the weather stripping under the door was off, so the first night it was COLD. I did not realize the exact issue until morning. It was fixed, but I do question how it was not caught before. I had no front 'facing' on the sink/table, so it was exposed bare wood with nails. The top was nice granite, and the sink was new, but the tub was ancient so over-all the entire look was 'unfinished'.
- In my father's room he had drawers in his cabinet, in mine there were none.
- In my room the carpet had shrunk away from the wall.
- Internet connection was inconsistent and slow, and kicked you off.
- We had dinner in the restaurant on the 24th. I eat out about once a month only, at generally nice places, and can honestly say for the 'price point' I felt gypped portion-wise. I also did not like pulling out my chair and finding dirty napkins on the seat.
- There was a mysterious dried brown crusty material on the wall of bathroom and body hair in bathtub when I checked in.

I loved Banff itself for Christmas. The views were great in and around town, with many exclelent dining options from greasy spoon to fine, and a whole number of different languages being spoken down the street.

It's a young crew working here at this lodge. They were all very nice, and I refused to raise a stink over the holidays and just rolled with it. But I'm not going back there. Too many other options.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RCSweets
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Buffalo Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I do apologize that you had issues with your overnight accomodations, but there was also some things that you did enjoy with your room. We do strive to ensure that are guest rooms are maintained and fix issues once they are reported to us, so thank you for advising us of that issue with the weather stripping. I hope we are able to welcome you back again in the future!

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

The hotel was clean, a tiny bit outdated (older looking bathroom and furnishings), and the walls were quite thin. We could hear the showers from the other hotel rooms, and could constantly hear the partying kids who stayed next door. We stayed over the holidays, and I'm sure one could find a nicer hotel for a better price. You also need to take a bus/drive into "town," so we found it was pricey for being far as well.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

We got a good deal on a room here, with fireplace, over the crowded Xmas holidays so I was happy to book it. It was okay; our experience as not as bad as others on this site, but overall the accommodation was just okay. The bed was super comfortable but the room was a little 'old.' There was no fridge. I had called to ask about bathrobe-availability, had been told 'yes', but there were none there. They agreed to bring some over, and did, but my robe had a rip in it and the pocket was coming off. The fire was set every day and the wood is supplied and easily accessible outside. Parking is a bit of a scramble...supposed to be right outside your door, but likely as not someone else takes your spot. We did hear the folks above us coming and going, talking, and carrying on. Wireless was dodgy and actually went down on one day so our connections were always sketchy. TV was fine with a big LG flatscreen. They had replaced the baseboard or something and the carpet did not meet the wall so the edges looked very raggy...bathtub was old but the shower was nice. We had two chairs in front of the fireplace, not the coziest in the world, but fine. The staff were not particularly friendly - no waves or smiles from the folks as they went about their business on the little carts (unlike Douglas Fir, last Xmas, where everyone was super friendly.) But here's an idea that struck me: if you bring a large group to Banff and you want a condo, with kitchen, but you need a couple of extra rooms for those who don't fit in the condo but will be over there visiting with you all the time, rent one of the many styles of condos at Douglas Fir and pick up a couple of extra bedrooms at Buffalo Mountains. It's right across the road so easy access. Oh, and there's a bus-stop to take you down to town right across the street. There's a steamy hot-tub too, outside, that looked really inviting but we did not go in.

Room Tip: There are many different types of buildings and apparently some are more modern than others, so ask.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DLCAlberta
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge for one night and our experience was great! Our friends had stayed the night before and weren't satisfied with their first room, so they upgraded both our rooms for the next night for only $25 each. Beautiful rustic rooms, working fireplace, flat screen TV, very comfortable king size bed, claw foot bath tub and shower. Beautiful mountain views and cozy atmosphere. Expensive stay, but for a special night in the mountains for the rustic experience, I would definitely return, but only for the same type of room!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Brianna C
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. I am pleased to hear that we were able to fix the issues with your accomodations. Our Premier rooms have all been recently upgraded to offer all the amenities that you would require. Hope to welcome you back again soon!