We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our wonderful Canadian holiday mostly booked through Kuoni Travel UK.
I have to admit that, in spite of the excellent welcome we received at reception, the initial impression of our ground floor room was dark and a little daunting. The day was dull which didn't help and the lovely trees outside masked what little light there was. However, it gradually grew on me and the provision of a log fire ready for lighting (which I lit!) made a great deal of difference later on giving the room a lovely warming atmosphere. The following day the grate was reset for us but the weather had warmed up a little so I didn't use it again. It was a lovely facility to have on hand however.
After having driven from Jasper that day we decided to stay at the Lodge for the evening and eat in their restaurant. This was a good move as the food, wine and our waitress, Brie, were all first rate. The restaurant has an esoteric old world atmosphere and is delightful.
We went out for a meal in Banff (v. my review of The Bison restaurant) the following night for a change but had our final meal at the Lodge in the bar area, The food and service (from our same waitress Brie - nothing cheesy about her! Sorry, couldn't resist that!) was yet again first rate.
If we were to visit Banff again we would certainly go for this hotel again although they need to do something to improve the parking for residents which I found a little awkward at times.
One other benefit from a UK perspective was that I was able to settle the bill with my credit card in GB pounds saving the commission on the currency transfer.
P. S. If you are birders it's worth exploring the grounds and local area around the hotel too. An early(ish) morning walk before breakfast was very productive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge is a peaceful retreat on Tunnel Mountain in Banff, AB. The lodge is surrounded by 9 acres of towering fir, pine, and spruce trees, yet just a 15 minute walk or 3 minute drive from the shopping, nightlife and restaurants that are on offer in downtown Banff. A favourite visitor pastime is to observe the deer and elk who frequently nibble on the lawn, right outside the lodge's windows. The lodge has 108 guest rooms, an outdoor hot tub, and several options for dining, making it the ideal location for a weekend getaway, wedding, or corporate retreat. Buffalo Mountain Lodge is part of the Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts' family of companies. Rooms at the lodge have fieldstone wood-burning fireplaces, cozy duvets, LCD televisions and Blu-ray players. Many feature patios or balconies. Each room has been carefully decorated to reflect the mountain lifestyle in Banff-the accommodation is anything but 'cookie cutter.' The outdoor stainless steel hot tub is best enjoyed after an invigorating hike, bike or ski on one of the nearby trails-or perhaps to aid digestion after a sumptuous meal in the lodge's highly acclaimed restaurant, Sleeping Buffalo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Buffalo Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buffalo Mountain Hotel Banff
- Buffalo Mountain Lodge Banff
- Buffulo Mountain Lodge