“Tunnel Mtn area campground comparisons for RVs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banff
Tunnel Mountain Village 1 Campground
Ranked #7 of 18 Speciality Lodging in Banff
Hood River, OR
“Tunnel Mtn area campground comparisons for RVs”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed in Village Mtn 1 campground in a small motorhome. The campground was fine and met all expectations. What Im going to do is compare the area campgrounds for people traveling in small RVs (24foot) in order to help them choose what campground will work the best for them. This campground does not have hookups. It does feel like more of a typical campground that has individual pull throughs or back in driveways. The spacing between campsites is good and I dont think it feels overcrowded. To me, not having a hookup is not a big deal. The other campgrounds in the Tunnel mtn area do have hookups but the "campground" feeling is lost in my opinion. In order to have a hookup you will need to be OK with parking your RV along a paved or rock road that has a picnic table and a electrical hookup every 100 feet or so. There will be rows and rows of similar RVs very close to you. I enjoy as much privacy as possible so Im glad I chose Village 1. There is bus service that runs from the Trailer camp to town which is very easy to use. There is no bus service from Tunnel Mtn 1. We road our bikes to the bus stop at the Trailer Campground which was about a 5 minute ride or 20 minute walk. I would recommend using the bus if possible to get to and around town. I hope this helps, have fun!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank hrdp

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We travelled with two small children and a 25 ft RV. We had a fairly private space, a lot of space and trees. Elk roam around the camping.
Compared to Village 2 this camping offers beter sites.
Although it has a lot of sites, it doesn't feel like a massive place (as Village 2 and Trailer do)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 926Vincent
Winnipeg, MB
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the good; this is a huge campground with more than 600 sites that is very close to banff. Banff has become such a popular tourist destination that a hotel room is no longer an affordable option for me. My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights in a tent and had a wonderful time in the Banff area. We were only in the campground after 9 pm most of the time. I would not recommend staying at the campground the whole time. Overall the things I enjoyed in this campground include: proximity to banff, hot showers, plugs in washrooms, unlimited firewood and the view of the mountains. There were, however, a few things that were bothersome
1) cleaning the toilets/ showers at 8:30 am is an inconveniece to people who wish to leave for a trip or for checkout.
2) separating rv's and tents could be nice. We were surrounded by rv's and felt out of place.
3) Lack of privacy was disppointing. With just a few trees around, we were very close to six other sites.
4) lack of hand soap in the toilets. There was hand sanitizer, but it's not the same.
Overall, I would stay there again to save money on accomodations.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank SillyMidget
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

When I registered Friday evening for a campsite, was given a spot above another with zero trees or privacy. Returned to the office and they gladly changed my spot. Park staff were really friendly. Awoke to elk at the campsite early the first morning. Shower was hot and good. Would recommend booking on an outer loop next time.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Chinookcindy
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This campsite was amazing and we had a room with a view. Set up our tent facing a mountain with snow on it. There were hardly any mosquitos and the campsites were spaced apart nicely. Washrooms were clean and our stay was perfect. It was so nice to wake up in the morning and stretch outside looking at the mountain. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Sophie h
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed one night at Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff National Park, but I really do wish we stayed longer! We stayed at the most basic of the three sites, (I believe it was number one) but still had a great time. The park provides you with FREE firewood for your fire pit, the washrooms are clean with great showers, and the view is top notch. You crawl out of you tent and have the Rocky Mountains peaking all around you. We even had a visitor at our campsite when a giant Elk decided to stop in and see what we were cooking for dinner!
Spent the next night at Lake Louise campground, however, we definitely preferred Tunnel Mountain!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank zoallen
campbell river, bc
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I camped in Tunnel Mtn 1 for six nights at the beginning of August. It's much more developed than I'm used to. Generally it was clean, well maintained and comfortable. The view of mountains was great, and in loop C, the sites weren't overly close together. There were mosquitos, but that's just nature.

Most of the other campers for the first five nights seemed to be family groups. They were quiet and took pretty good care to keep their sites clean. Final night there was a group of noisy kids--to my amazement, despite the alcohol after 11 pm ban, it appeared that a taxi delivered them a supply of booze at 11. As noted elsewhere, there wasn't any onsite supervision. I think they were thrown out the next morning, but I was on the road that day.

Still, for the most part, the campground is very pleasant. I was tent camping, and thought the sites were quite fine for tenting.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo