“BAD LUCK!”

Irvine, California
“BAD LUCK!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Banff Ptarmigan Inn

Pros:
Great location
Walking distance to shops
Breakfast included

Cons:
Dirty bathroom
Dirty windows
Dirty walls
Inn turn off central heating for summer
Superior rooms don't have radiant heater
Wifi during night time is slow to almost nonexistent

Checked in and got a room that smells awful like a pet pee. Change room and got a room that don't smell but have dirty bathroom. At the time the temperature in the summer was 14 celsius (daytime). To us from Cali was pretty cold. I turn on the knob in the room that states "heat only". For two hours, I got blasted with cold air and the room was freezing. Went to the front desk and talk to them about this issue. They said they turn off the central heating because it's summer time. Their explanation was it will get warmer next day and it will heat up. So I request extra blankets and they offer me a small heater. Needless to say that heater only heats up within 3 feet. The room was really cold at night due to temperature drop further more. Next day, I express my concerns again. They told me the same thing, plus they said my room doesn't have the radiant heater besides the central heating, that was an upgraded room. I got the "superior room" at the time of booking. I guess my "superior room" wasn't upgraded enough. That's why the room was really dirty. The corner of the bathroom was never cleaned, you can see black dirt. The tub have stains in them. The bathroom floor had dirt marks. Window frame was never cleaned. The walls have black scuff marks. I will try to attach some of the photos I took from the room. Additionally, watch out for dirty plates. We found dry food bits stuck on their suppose to be clean plates.

Overall, I believe an Inn should provide the very basic needs for their customers that is cleanness and adjustable individual room temperature base on customer's needs. This Inn besides they offer good location they have failed in those areas. We checked out by me having a cold as I was not use to colder climate at night without heat. Definitely not a fun way to end a vacation!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank IrvineGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Saskatoon
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Awesome location. Awesome staff. Great rooms. Great breakfast! Breakfast was free and included hot and cold items. Other reviews stating it was cold...well the fresh fruit salad was cold. But we like our fruit salad on the cooler side. The hot items were hot. Great price. Would come back again in a heartbeat!! No complaints!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Saskers
Newcastle
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The Ptarmigan Inn is a lovely "comfortable" hotel in the heart of Banff. It's not The Ritz....but it is spotlessly clean and the house maids spruce up the room in the mornings - promptly - we never were inconvenienced.

The Meatball restaurant is wonderful (cheaper before 5pm with a different menu - try the fish and chips in the bar area -delicious!). After 7pm try the salmon in the downstairs area (yum, yum). Breakfast is complimentary and gorgeous (scrambled egg, sausages, crispy bacon, pancakes, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, cakes, toast, preserves). The staff work tirelessly....."Hello" to all the girls in the restaurant - especially Elizabeth from Vancouver - she was a star with the teas and coffees on a morning and very professional.

The location is spot-on .... right next to Safeway supermarket and the bus stop. The free Roam passes are a God-send.

Rooms are well equipped with all the amenities.....you can hire at safe box at the front desk.

Now a few things that the brochures don't tell you about about Banff itself:

1) Mosquitoes (and lots of 'em!).....after one outing I counted 21 bites, even with deet the little blighters still got through my socks! We weren't even in a wooded/watery area!

2)Chinese/Japanese tourists (and lots of 'em) - everywhere but especially Lake Louise.

3) A highway that runs through the Rockies....huge and noisy.....our "Discover Banff Tours" Icefield tour made use of this road and I felt that we were removed from the true beauty of the place.

4) The Columbia Icefield tour allows you to walk on a glacier....take appropriate footwear...it is *very* slippery - bordering on dangerous! I couldn't help thinking that this is an environmental no-no (after spying cigarette butts in the snow and observing the black polluted ice from the exhaust fumes of countless vehicles).

5) There are a few 'drop outs' around town....watch yourself at the Number 6 bus stop where I spied some junkies hanging around once or twice.

Things that I loved:

1) The Mountains, Lakes & Waterfalls tour with Banff Adventures.....our Brewster guide (FRANK) was brilliant...what driving skill! The tour was absolutely excellent....driving on the back roads to some outstanding destinations (even saw a black bear!).

2) The Fairmont Banff Springs - check out the view form the terrace.

3) Cave and Basin (Banff) - lovely and unspoilt - relating to the real history of Banff.

4)Luxton (First Nation) Museum (Banff) - appearances can be deceptive and there are some wonderful pieces in here...traditional dress, photos etc. Free tea and coffee too!

5) Cascade Gardens - beautiful...but be mindful of the mosquitoes!

6) Warner Stables - the BEST stables I've ever visited. The horses are immaculate - each has it's own personal saddle....you really feel comfortable and, for once, I wasn't saddle sore afterwards!

7) Sulphur Mountain - expensive ride in the Gondola but some wonderful views on top. Check out the spectacular vista from the cafe.

8) Bow falls - WOW! that's all I can say! Pity about the hundreds of Japanese tourists though :-)

9) Banff Airporter (transport to Banff from Calgary Airport) - absolutely fantastic - bang on time!!

10) Roam Bus Service - chcek out the bus to Cave and Basin on Fri, Sat and Sun and say "Hi" to Ray the driver!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view...some are very dark.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kay156
Monifieth
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed a total of 3 nights here. Excellent location. Breakfast included and free parking. Staff efficient and friendly. Rooms are large and have fans if required ( which we did) Beds are super comfort and we slept sound. There is a fridge inroom which is super for drinks. Would definitely use this inn again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lake City
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had a reservation and checked in, entered the room and found that it was not air conditioned. It was a hot July day and very stuffy in the room. Upon checking with the desk we found that the rooms were not air conditioned (only the halls) the parking was horridly dangerous with 2 levels underground and ceiling to lower level looked like it was sinking. We also discovered at the desk there are very few motels in Banff that do have air conditioning. We declined to stay there as we had an 88 year old along. With no air the rooms were stuffy and smelly, small and not very clean. They were very caring and refunded our money, tried to find us a place to stay, and said that the motel wasn't for everyone and that they understood our reasoning. We then ventured down the road a bit to Canmore Holiday Inn which was exceptional, air conditioned, contained a restaurant and small bar and the mountain view was gorgeous there too!! P.S. Motel didn have heat!

Room Tip: If you go in the summer months when it's hot, don't stay here. Find a motel with air!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Mcgaheysville
Reviewed 24 July 2014

the PTARMIGAN INN is a nice hotel convenient to down town banff. the staff was courteous and helpful to me AND to my roommate who drove up from oregon. the room comes with breakfast and a great wait staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Spain
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was thoroughly looking forward to my two day stay in Banff Springs. Unfortunately the hotel was a total let down. Not only was the room expensive for a single person,it was also very hot. I booked a standard room which actually came with two queen sized beds. It seemed that they made no distinction between four sharing or one person staying. The bathroom was extremely small and, as others have mentioned, the washbasin was outside the bathroom in the bedroom. There was no air-conditioning although a fan was provided. It was extremely hot at night although the window could be opened. The downside of that as that my bedroom overlooked the courtyard which could be noisy. The cleaning of the room on the second day was below the standard expected of a hotel of this supposed calibre.
Although there are clear rules set out about noise between the hours of midnight and eight, it seemed that certainly guests ignored these. The corridors were very noisy with people knocking on doors to wake others at Five in the morning. This happened on both nights.
Although others seem to think that the breakfast was good, to my mind, it as so awful that I made a formal complaint and asked to see the manager. Food was left out in shabby bowls with no attempt at a display of any kind. The "hot breakfast" consisted of croutons, rubbery scrambled egg, cremated bacon, and sausages. Toast was cheap supermarket bread, brown and white. The cold "buffet" was cereal, fruit salad, cheap supermarket croissant and some other pastry which was dry and tasteless. The fruit juice was not fresh and tasted synthetic. There was no sign of any cold meats, cheeses or what would normally be expected in an international hotel.
The crockery was chipped and it showed more as the mugs were black. The mug on my table was not only chipped but had food clinging to it both inside and outside, presumably from the dishwasher!!

My complaint at the front desk was dealt with well. I saw the manager and was offered a 50 dollar voucher to spend in one of the restaurants.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel for international travelers who are used to a higher grade of hotel for the price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Banff hotels