“Price was right.”

Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Regina, Canada
“Price was right.”
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

I booked this room on Priceline without knowing what hotel I would be getting. I was scared when I looked it up on Trip Advisor afterwards but Luckily my experience wasn't like some of the other reviewers. Although my carpet wasn't vacuumed very well, everything else was ok. It doesn't have any curb appeal whatsoever, but it was a good enough place to sleep for what I paid. There is a restaurant on site and a bar as well as a liquor store. There is also a pool which I didn't use so cannot comment on. It is located about 1Km from downtown right on Banff Ave but there is a bus stop right outside if you don't want to walk it. There is also a couple of restaurants and a gas station in the close vicinity. I hope an exterior renovation will be taking place soon as it is one of the most run down looking places I saw in all of Banff.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Meghan668907
David B, General Manager at Banff Voyager Inn, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Good day,

It is always heplfull to hotel operations to receive Guest "feed back"; it is used in the on-going efforts to improve Guest Experience.
Absolutely the Hotel is one of the furthest properties from the downtown area but as you mentioned the good local bus service stops just by the hotel and it runs on a regular basis: the property is only a 15 minute (level) walk from the downtown area.
The Voyager Inn is one of the older hotels in town (built back in the 1960's) and as such does not have the same curb appeal as the newer properties - which include the Spruce Grove Inn (sister property to the Voyager Inn) which is next door (built in early 2000's) - slowly the Voyager Inn is getting continual upgrades and eventually these will include the exterior.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

As pleasant as the staff were the building, rooms, amenities were outdated and run down.
The walls are very thin and noise from other rooms was easily heard.
The outdoor pool was enjoyable but the pool washrooms were not clean.
I bought our stay on a Groupon deal and I got what I paid for.
I did not see any bugs at all, thankfully.
I was a bit surprised that the hotel required a refundable $100 damage deposit given the age and furnishings of the rooms.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Melanie G
Hello to you,

Thank you for your review & comments, the Hotel always welcomes constructive feed back.
It is good to hear that the staff performance was welcoming & friendly, this is an area of operation that the Hotel is continually working on & takes pride in being of good service to our Guests.
The property is one of the much older accommodations in Banff and as such it needs renewal & renovations, these do take place as an on-going process during the winter months but it is a process that will be taking place over a long period of time with certain jobs being done each year.
The deposit that was taken was obviously not explained correctly - the process will be re-trained with Guest Service Staff - it is not a damage deposit in fact it is just a "Pre Authorisation" placed on a Credit Card and is for any incidental charges that might occur such as phone calls , restaurant room charges etc. If nothing is charged to the room nothing gets charged to the "Pre Authorisation"

Travellers are raving about these Banff hotels

wiltshire
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I am now not quite sure where we stayed--it was one or the other. As they are side by side and under the same ownership and share the same breakfast facility I am not sure it matters over much .Apparently one has better rooms than the other and the one we stayed in had the underground carpark. It was all OK but not particularily special ,not perhaps quite up to the 119cad per night cost but Banff is not cheap.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank davidpeters158
Many thanks for your comments and feed back. The Hotels welcome constructive observations as they help towards the continual on-going process of trying to improve our Guests Stays & Experiences.
Many thanks
Yorkton, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2013

For a resort community, you'd think even the most basic of hotel accommodations would provide better rooms and service for the price they ask for. I've stayed at places even cheaper than here, both within Banff and Jasper, and they've had superior everything. Apparently they're upgrading, but until they do something about the service quality of their staff (they were slow and confused) it won't really make any difference.

Room Tip: That's easy. Don't stay at this hotel. Guaranteed you will find something better and most...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ryshtyan
Thank you for your review and the Hotels will certainly take your comments and use them towards improving all areas of the operations.
It is unfortunate that you did receive the best service from the staff on duty because this (Guest Services) is an area that we continually work on and is an area that the staff receive a lot of thanks & positive feed back.
Again many thanks for your comments and feed back
Daysland, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Okay, first of all, I knew nothing about Banff except it can be expensive so when I saw a deal on Groupon I thought sure I'll try it. Well, if you are just looking for a place to sleep and don't care about comfort and amenities you'll be fine. On the other-hand, I like my comforts of life especially when I am on vacation trying to enjoy myself. The motel just didn't do it for me. I really should have researched this motel better. There is no curb appeal. Don't go by the pictures. The desk staff was nice enough, the room was clean and the ice machine did work. Now, I want to say there is no air conditioning. My husband and I are hot natured and this was horrible and we barely slept not to mention the beds gave us backaches. The internet did not work well and we like our technology. Our room was right on the street so lots of street noise. The breakfast was a joke and not much to choose from or you could pay extra to add the hot breakfast which didn't look much better. I'm glad I brought my hairdryer against what my husband thought because there wasn't one in the room. The overall opinion is that this motel is rundown and needs extensive remolding and upgrades. No, I would not stay here again. Pay the extra money if you can and stay somewhere nicer.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Evid01
Hello,

The Hotel is sorry to hear that your recent stay was not to the level of expectations you had; it was good to hear that the desk staff were nice and helpful and that you found the room to be clean & tidy but it is unfortunate to hear about the less satisfactory aspects.
It is always usefully to get Guest comments as it helps towards the Hotels continues efforts to improve.
The Hotel is going through the goal of continually trying to upgrade & renew but this in such an older property is a long process: being an older property it does not have air conditioning (which is probably only need in Banff for about 3 years a year) like a number of Banff hotels: the Hotel's sister property Spruce Grove Inn which is next door & a newer property does have air conditioning.
The free Wi-Fi service is proving to be a challenge this summer what with the location and the greatly & ever increasing demand our system does have problems sometimes keeping up with demand; the Hotel is working with its Wi-Fi provider to upgrade & improve the service.
It is regretfull that you did not find the complimentary breakfast up to standard as it is an area for which the hotel has received a number of positive reviews - it includes juices, tea, coffee, a number of ceral choices, toast, fresh fruit salad, fresh grapefruit, yogurt, various pastries & muffins etc. plus it is a buffet which entitles Guest to take as much as they want and as often as they want.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We booked online for this hotel for 2 nights in a twin double bed room, when we got there the rude woman told to go to the next hotel cause we were staying there then turned away from us. We walked over to the Spruce Inn and got another rude man telling us we had a single room for one night, we were not happy and told him so. He blamed the hotel next door for the stuff-up, he did give us a King Corner room on the top floor which he said was quieter( NOT) and handed over the breakfast vouchers before turning away to talk to his Asian customers. What he didn't do was give us any info on where the breakfast was held or what time it was, not good enough for the price we paid! We stayed here from July 11th til 13th.

Room Tip: at the back on the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anne d
Good day to you,

I am so sorry to hear that your recent visit to the Hotel was nowhere near your expectations; your observations and comments have been brought up and discussed with the departments involved.
Your unsatisfactory experiences were an obvious concern especially when it comes to Guest Service & staff service because these are particular areas that the Hotel receives many positive comments, praise and feed back on in particular from our many overseas visitors.
Again I truly thank you for your feed back and the areas of concern will be again & repeatedly worked on with the staff.
Sincere regards.
Reviewed 11 July 2013

A decent room if you are only planning to sleep in it. I was out and about all day so no big deal. Check-in was great...girl was very friendly and most helpful. The restaurant was good too, except the one morning when I seated myself (the sign in front says wait to be seated). I proceeded to and them was moved (while in the middle of my breakfast) because a larger group had showed up. I commented that it was inconvenient and she proceeded to say...well lady, you are not the only one in this hotel! Very rude indeed. Walls are paper thin and you can here people peeing in the next room but again, you get what you pay for. Check our was a terrible experience. Stood at desk for 10 mins until someone decided to show up. He was a complete [--]. Didn't say good morning....or thank you...or how my stay was. Spent $700 and not even a thank you. These people tend to forget that I (a guest) am the reason they are in business. Will not stay there again NOR would I recommend to anyone else. The upside is that the money I saved on hotel costs, I splurged on sovenirs :). Will be writing a letter to management when I get back home as the owners needled to know the kind of staff they are hiring.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mary S
Good day,

The Hotel certainly thanks you for your constructive comments (even less than good ones) as it uses them when training staff and whilst always striving to improve especially in the area of Guest Service.

It is good to hear that your check in experience was good & welcoming as was most of your experience in the restaurant. Unfortunately the restaurant service was not up to standard on one occassion and as such the Restaurant Manager has been informed & she has gone over the policies & processes with her staff; because even though your experience was so very far from the normal (the restaurant & guest services staff get many compliments) it can never happen again.

I am obviously concerned that your check out experience was not good and I am somewhat surprised as the Front Desk is a 24 hour operation and the only time it might be unmanned for a short time would be during the middle of the night (when the night audit/security is doing his 'rounds"). It certainly appears that your experience was not up to the standards that are normally offered & are expected, the Front Desk manager will be addressing these matters with her team & additional training is being given.

Again many thanks for your observations.