“Do not stay here .......”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Banff Voyager Inn

Banff Voyager Inn
Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Banff
cork
“Do not stay here .......”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Do not stay here, it is diabolical !! Should have realized this as soon as we arrived, the most dominant feature is a liquor store, more obvious and in your face than the reception area. a
a few unsavoury types hanging around outside too ! Another tell tale sign was meeting one of the housekeepers pushing his cart with bags upon bags of empty beer cans.
The room was dirty and dated. The sheets on the bed were starched to within an inch of their life so made so much noise every time you turned over ! The tv only offered3 channels - the weather, the news and one other. The following morning I looked under the bed only to find someone's dirty sock, credit card receipt, matches and. Bottle tops - who knows when this room was last cleaned properly.
No hair dryer in the room, you have to go downstairs to reception if you want one. If you use up your tea and coffee you must purchase more......
Take note, the walls are think and you can hear everything. Every time a neighbour flushes the toilet or has a shower you can hear the old pipes creaking. Plenty of noise coming from the hallway during the night with people banging on doors and shouting.
Breakfast was very disappointing. Continental is included, if you want a hot breakfast you must pay an additional $7.30. Neither breakfast are worth it.
I would recommend not staying here. There are by far better places to stay in Banff that are cleaner, better equipped and in a better location. The voyager is one of the furthest hotels from the center.

Room Tip: Beat advice I can give you is do not stay here.......
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Port Royal, Jamaica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here with friends this past weekend (7-9 March 2014) via a Groupon deal. The hallways were extremely noisy at night. Occasionally, when walking through the hallway past other rooms, I could smell marijuana. The last night of our stay from approximately 0145-0300, an intoxicated couple were having a disturbing domestic dispute in the hallway which culminated with the woman knocking on several different doors all the way down the hallway. After this particular episode, we called reception to have the situation dealt with, but nothing was done. They could have at least called the cops!

The breakfast menu is deliberately misleading (talk about alienating your clientele!). We were given $7.00 breakfast vouchers for the restaurant upon check-in. The menu read that continental breakfast was "free" and the hot breakfast was $7.30. When you read the fine print, these "prices" only apply AFTER the use of your breakfast voucher. And the hot breakfast certainly wasn't a $14.00 breakfast!!

I found the beds and bathroom fixtures to be clean, but the floors and walls left a lot to be desired. Atmosphere is non-existant. I don't mind simple/plain accommodations, but in that case I expect a certain baseline for cleanliness and much better prices.

I have never had such a terrible stay anywhere (and I am a frequent budget hosteller in lower-income countries, so that's says something about my low standards for accommodation) and I will NEVER stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pirate X

Travellers are raving about these Banff hotels

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

If you're paying full price (or almost full price) you might as well head to any of the other hotels around Banff. This place had concrete walls so it was quiet but left a lot to be desired in terms of cleanliness, decor and distance from downtown Banff.

We specified 3 people for our room but they wouldn't bring in a cot for us, citing it was a fire hazard. The TV was had a spotty connection and was an old tube style. The internet was free but was also spotty (more frequently off than on) and required multiple passwords for our one night stay.

If you're paying $60 it would be a deal, but not worth their listed $120 or getting stuck here from Hotwire. Use a site that allows you to specify where you stay, don't roll the dice.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank drivingfromcalgary
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Was staying here for 2 nights last weekend (21/Feb - 23-Feb)and this will definitely be the last time I ever come here. Beds were uncomfortable and had stains on the sheets (gross!!). Left our room at 7:30am to go skiing on the Saturday and returned at 6pm and the room hadn't been cleaned. A guy came past at 6:30pm and asked if he could clean it but we were getting ready to go out and and I asked if he could come back at 7/7:30pm once we had left. When we got back later that night it was very disappointing to discover the room had not been cleaned and that the stained sheets were still on the bed.

I spoke with the manager in the morning when we checked out and his response was "sorry, we were busy on the weekend". It was a pathetic response and in the future I will happily pay the extra $50 to get a room which is actually clean elsewhere in town.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel !!!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank SunnyPerth2012
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My daughter bought us a groupon for a weekend in Banff here....groupon is first mistake...all I heard was "you don't get this, you don't get that with groupon". Now for the room. All three of us woke up by 2 am. Terribly uncomfortable bed and pillows. Room was so hot and dry and no air circulation that we literally couldn't breathe. Also, the exit door kept slamming somewhere, and we heard voices in the halls on and off, which we found strange at this hour We checked out at 3 am because we couldn't sleep. To make matters worse, while we were leaving at 3 am, we were literally tripping over young transients and empty liquor bottles in the corridors. The front desk clerk seemed to know they were there, as he walked over to monitor the noise levels from the lobby at one point, but did nothing. Creepy. As we drove away, we figured out what all the slamming was about. More youth coming and going out the emergency exit to smoke all night. Did not feel safe here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was hesitant about staying here when I read the reviews, however I got a deal for Family Day weekend for $65/night with hotels.com and thought I'd give it a go. To my pleasent surprise I found the inn to be much nicer than I had read about. Yes it has old furnishings and outdated styling, but the beds were comfortable, the room was large, clean, the bathroom was clean, new tv and there was a balcony. It was also very quiet, has a pool, sauna, parking, free wi-fi and the continental breakfast was more than sufficient. Honestly, we had a great stay here, and we walked to downtown Banff in about 10/15 minutes. The staff were really friendly and when I asked for a 2nd floor room they were accomodating. I will definately stay here again. Honestly, I stayed one night in another hotel in Banff for more money and now wish I had stayed at the Banff Voyager Inn for that night as well.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the 2nd floor(avoids people above you) and we had a balcony. Was quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle S
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

This hotel was not good. Thin walls, poor layout. We heard everything our neighbours did.
For the price we could have been closer to down town.
Breakfast was awful. We paid the extra $7 for hot breakfast buffet, which was dry scrambled eggs and sausage, flavourless potato cubes, and bacon. The free cold options weren't much better, stale pastry and muffins, and toast. There were no servers, and we got all of our food and drink ourselves yet the debit machine made you leave a tip- not optional.
Needless to say we will NOT be coming back to the Voyager or it's adjoining in, spruce grove.

• Stayed February 2014