“Positive experience; good value; amazing location”
Review of Bow View Lodge

Bow View Lodge
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Lauren Murphy
“Positive experience; good value; amazing location”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The aptly named Bow View Lodge is a perfectly nice hotel for the price, and you absolutely cannot beat the location if you're looking for something right in Banff. I've stayed here twice and have no complaints. The man who works at the front desk is lovely and very helpful. The rooms are adequate (pretty run-of-the-mill). The real selling point is the location - right on the Bow River, and right downtown without actually being on the main drag. Quiet, convenient - really perfect. The pictures I've attached were taken about thirty feet from the hotel's door. This part of Canada is breathtaking, so Banff shouldn't be your only stop, but while in town, the Bow View Lodge is a terrific place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wonkmurphy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
calgary
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Bow View Lodge is located along the River in Banff and a ten minute walk from the heart of Banff. The rooms are clean and while not overly large offer more than adequate accommodation for the price. Some of the rooms on the river side featured king size beds and sofas and were larger. There are no dining facilities here but the hotel is attached to the Banff Park Inn so meals can be had there. We were offered a reduced rate for the breakfast buffet -- the buffet was one of the very best I have encountered - omelette stations, a lovely selection of fresh fruit and cold cuts, cold and hot cereals, selection of toasts and pastries....
The hotel does charge for wifi which I think should not be - they were kindly offered me complimentary wifi....this hotel is very good value in every way.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I thought I was dreaming, 5:30 sunday morning an excavator (loader) equipped with a back up beeper for 2 hours outside my patio.really? it was the response from the front desk tha tgot me as well. shrub of the shoulders.also charged me $20 more for sat after quoting me for the 3 nights.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I felt I should write a review because I've stayed in everything from Fairmont's to Hostels and I think a lot of the negative reviews are unwarranted.

First of all... the location. Not only is this hotel in the beautiful and world famous resort town of Banff, but it also only a 5 minute walk from downtown Banff Ave.

Secondly, with this location they still only charged $79/night. That is amazing. But when you pay that low a price you have to adjust your expectations. And for that I can say I was happily pleased... I had everything I would have expected in a hotel that only charges $79... in Banff... that close to downtown.

Thirdly... Some of these commenters need to be a little more accurate in their descriptions of the beds. I was worried I'd be sleeping on a plank of plywood after reading a number of these other reviews. That simply is not true. While the beds are indeed very firm, they were hardly rocks.

I went up for a guys weekend and we had a blast. I would definitely stay again - save money on the hotel and spend the rest at the bars or on the slopes!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank akasparks
Reviewed 5 January 2014

we stayed at this hotel one night while in banff Jan 4 2014. The room first off was extremly dated and i do not think the red carpet has been changed since the early 80s. The two twin beds in the room were like sleeping on a board. The room was cold upon arrival so i adjusted the thermostat to 25'C and it didnt turn on all night, average room temp of maybe 16 or 17 degrees. In the morning it took three or four minutes before the water in the shower got hot, then was either an extreme of too hot to stand under or too cold, with a twenty or thirty second delay between adjusting the taps and a temp change. When we checked out i informed the manager of my issue and offered a discount if we retuned at a later date as he could not offer a reduction since booking through expedia... Needless to say we will not be going back.

Room Tip: Dont go not worth it even at a cheap rate.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shawn B
Manager_BowViewLodge, Manager at Bow View Lodge, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. The hotel has many options to remedy the issues that you brought to our attention.

We have a 24-hour front desk that can immediately assist you with moving rooms. We also have a maintenance department that is always on call. If moving rooms is undesirable we can provide a portable space heater that will quickly increase your room temperature while our maintenance team addresses heating concerns.

Our premier property Banff Park Lodge has new pillow-top mattresses in all their guest rooms. A room-move to our premier property would have been easily accomplished on this particular date had this been brought to our attention.

Unfortunately, when I asked the guests whether they reported the problem with the heat, the beds being uncomfortable or the appearance of the room they indicated that they did not contact anyone until departure.

We feel that we could have rectified the problem promptly had it been reported to us upon discovery. We offered a $40 room rate for a future visit this winter and we hope the guests will return for a stay with us or in our premier property.
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We booked a room in Dec 2013. We were excited to have an evening in Banff with our kids. However, within 1 hour of checking in, one of our kids had a medical issue and we had to rush to Children's hospital in Calgary. No one's fault. After a long night at the hospital, our child ended up being ok. However, Even though the hotel was not sold out that night and we only put our bags in the room (ie hadn't used the room yet), the manager said he could not refund our night.. He gave us his number and said he would give us a significant discount on our next visit. We called 1 week later and the significant discount ended up being a discount off their inflated regular rate which was significantly higher than what was being offered at various discount internet websites. In the end we would end up paying $10 bucks below the regular internet rate. Obviously this manager does not have kids. He is not thinking of his customers. This experience definitely will ensure we never go back there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ian W
Manager_BowViewLodge, Manager at Bow View Lodge, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Thank you for your review. We have contacted you directly to assist you with resolving this matter.

Kind regards,

Bow View Lodge
Norwalk, Ohio
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have stayed at the Bow View Lodge several times. This is an older hotel that is meticulously maintained, has a great front desk staff, and is very affordable. It's a short stroll to downtown to grab something to eat if you don't want to eat at the lodge next door (although they have a nice breakfast buffet). The front desk staff will give you directions around town or help with restaurant recommendations. I've always had a great stay on every visit and will continue to stay at Bow View Lodge on my travels.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo