Charlton's Banff
Hidden Ridge Resort(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$252
US$231
Rundlestone Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$283
US$231
Fox Hotel & Suites(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$269
US$239
Fairmont Banff Springs(Banff)
US$488
US$462
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$217
US$196
Brewster's Mountain Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$288
US$265
  • Breakfast included
Tunnel Mountain Resort(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$213
Hotels.com
Elk + Avenue Hotel(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$242
US$230
Banff Aspen Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$261
US$240
Hotwire.com
US$285
US$271
  • Pool
All reviewsloft suitespiral staircasecharlton cedar courtcontinental breakfastsleeping areapool and hot tubsister hotelcovered parkingboiled eggsminute walkyogurtsteam roomking bedlarge bathroomwould stay againthe main streetfront desk staff
Reviewed 9 February 2009

This property exceeded my expectations. I had read some of the reviews of Charlton's and had paid careful attention to both positive and negative comments.

After my stay, I would fall decisively into the positive category. I paid C$85 per night for three weeknights in February for what the hotel called a "deluxe room", that came with two queen beds.

I'd categorize Charlton's as a motel/hotel hybrid. As a traveling skier, I appreciated the ready access to my car, while also appreciating the clean, updated room, modern washroom, and on-site facilities which included an indoor steam room, hot tub, and pool. Most motels don't have all three (many have none of the 3), hence, my categorization of Charlton's as a hybrid motel/hotel.

I used Charlton's as a home base for a mini ski break in Banff National Park. I can't comment on Charlton's as a place to stay in the summer months. Comments are based on my experience in Banff's off season (winter).

For $86 per night, I felt the hotel represented excellent value. The room was equipped with a small fridge, which I appreciated because it enabled me to store milk, juice, peanut butter, vegetables, and some other basics.

I appreciated the amenities which included two plush bathrobes, lip balm (which is essential in the dry February in Banff), etc. The free, covered parking on-site was very beneficial. There was a secure storage building to store my skis overnight.

The bathroom was thoroughly modern with a large, deep soaker bathtub, a modern vanity, and a stand-up glass enclosed shower.

The room was very clean and it seemed obvious that housekeeping paid careful attention to cleanliness.

What most surprised me was the bedding. The duvet cover was soft, plush, and completely unexpected from a hotel at this price point. I noticed this and would say this was where my expectations were most exceeded. The bed was very comfortable and it seemed the hotel had invested in bed pillow-tops, which we now expect from hotels in the Marriott/Hilton/Sheraton/Westin category.

One clue to Charlton's good performance (in my opinion) is what appeared to be an affiliation with the Delta Royal Canadian Hotel a few hotels down from Charlton.

Weather for my trip was quite warm for February, ranging from 0C to 7C. The walk into Banff village was a reasonable 7 minutes.

One tip: at the end of a ski day, loosen those joints up by heading up to the Banff upper hot springs to bathe in the sulfur mineral waters. It's a 8-10 minute drive from the hotel that takes you through the Banff village and left after you go over the bridge. It costs about C$7. Towels are extra. The water is maintained at a constant 39C.

I plan to return to Banff every year or so for a mini ski break and I will use Charlton's as my home base again. For the price, I couldn't find anything else that beat this value for the quality and amenities included.

• Stayed: February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Cabbagetown
Reviewed 20 January 2009

We got a great rate on Priceline for a 3-night stay over Christmas, and were very happy with our choice! Our loft room was ready for us when we arrived 2 hours before check-in time and the staff was helpful and pleasant throughout our stay.

This is a fairly no-frills place, but very clean and well maintained. The bathroom in our loft seemed like it had been recently updated, with a spacious shower with double glass doors and nice tiling. The fireplace was awesome for the cold Banff winter weather! Our room also had a mini-fridge which was handy. There was lots of space to spread out and make ourselves at home.

It only takes 10 or 15 minutes to walk into all the action of the town, or a cheap cab ride (the hotel staff called one for us on the nights when it was too cold to walk!)

Other posters mentioned the loft being too hot, and this is something I would definitely keep in mind if visiting in the summer (and the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars). We had to turn the thermostat way down at night to stay comfortable, but it wasn't a big deal for us.

We didn't have any trouble with noise, so I can't speak to that complaint - all I can say is that I'm a light sleeper, and our stay was very peaceful!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2009

Our loft room with a fireplace was quite nice, until our neighbours Beavis and Butthead got back to their room. The walls are paper thin as you hear everything in the adjoining rooms. And I do mean everything. We were charmed by this pair of morons shouting, swearing, farting and explaining their bodily functions (hilarious apparently) all night. If you're after this entertainment then this is the place for you. Also, it's quite a long walk into town if, like us, you're there in winter with the snow, ice and cold winds.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lbeachbum
BanffManagement, Director of Sales at Charlton's Banff, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2009

Good day,

We apologize for your neighbors as we do not encourage this type of behavior in our property. Being in the hospitality industry for 60 years guest comfort is of the upmost importance to us. We hope that you contacted our security team to give them a warning and deal with the situation for you.

Again we hopt that you accept our sincerest apologies from the Charlton's and the management team here at Charlton's Cedar Court.

Reviewed 6 January 2009

We booked this "motel" based on partly the reviews on Trip Advisor, and looking at pictures etc on their website, we were not impressed and checked out after one night stay. First this is not a hotel, it's a motel and maybe it's our fault for not inquiring for more information and doing our research but I myself prefer a place to stay that has secure parking and a place with more of a hotel feel. We were there mid summer and it was by no means very hot in Banff when we were there, but we found our room which was a loft suite very stuffy and humid. Our room was also very tiny, for two people it was difficult to find places for our luggage, as the stairs to the loft were very narrow and it was hard to get a big case up there. Also it is kind of old and dated, fine if you like that thing but we didn't .
On check in and check out the front desk staff was not friendly at all just enough to get by I guess but I found it curious when we cancelled our last night know one inquired as to why we were leaving at all when we clearly expressed our disappointment. Personally I would stay a little closer to the city core where there are more stores and things to do, as we did the second evening.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

I apologize for your disappointment in your recent stay at the Charlton's Cedar Court. Being a 40 year old building unfortunately has its challenges in keeping up to date and modern. Our owners put a lot of effort though into the interior and the exterior of the building with the limited space we have to offer to make it comfortable and stylish. Being located in a National Park also comes with the challenge of not being able to expand or build. I hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your trip in Banff. If you are ever interested in staying with us again we do have our sister property the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge which is our newest property. It is a 41/2 star resort and is a hotel, which sounds like it would have met your needs better.

Cheryl Hurlbut
Director of Sales
Charlton's Cedar Court and Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge

Reviewed 25 November 2008

This hotel/two story motel was great. I have a hard time sleeping in most hotels either because my kids are so close or because the bed is uncomfortable. This hotel had our kids in a seperate room with each having their own bed. We had a small kitchen between our room and theirs making it even better. We had cereal and bagels for breakfast in the room before heading out to ski. Our beds were very comfy and our room quiet. It is not new but it is still much better then other hotels we have stayed at on Banff Ave. The hot tub and steam room were fun but the pool was very cold.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family