“Great Lodgings - Great Service”
Review of Charlton's Banff

Charlton's Banff
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Banff
edmonton
“Great Lodgings - Great Service”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

My wife and I stayed here this past Canadian Thanksgiving Satuday. We had a very spacious room on the main level - two queen size beds, sitting area, desk and free wi fi. The bathroom was huge - about the size of some small motel rooms we've been in! Spacious sink and counter, bathtub and a very spacious walk-in shower. We got an excellent room rate by booking from Bookings.com.
The hotel serves a good basic continental breakfast, which is included in the price.
Our enjoyable stay was topped up by gracious and hospitable service from all staff.
This is the way a hotel should be run.
We're looking forward to our next stay at Charlton's.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RotaryRoamers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed here the first weekend of October in the loft and fireplace room. It was nicely decorated and the king sized bed was very comfortable. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The pool and hot tub area was beautiful and clean. The pool was pretty cold but people were still using it. The hotel was very quiet. We didn't have a problem with noise. The included continental breakfast was great. It had bagels, toast, fruit, yogurt and pastries. Juice, coffee and tea were offered as well. We were able to walk from our hotel into town for dinner and shopping. The front desk staff were always nice and very helpful. We got a lot of good tips for which hikes were nice and the staff went over and above by showing us how to get there on the map. Our fireplace wasn't working the first night we got in but someone came to fix it promptly the next day so we could use it. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. It was great value for our money and a nice hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MichelleandPat
Reviewed 29 September 2010

had hoped for a nicer room for the money. would have expected nicer bathroom, bedding and furniture. needs to be upgraded to a more modern look.

1 Thank acminkus

Travellers are raving about these Banff hotels

Milton Keynes, England
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Booked this as our 2nd night in Banff (wish we had stayed in the Juniper for 2 nights). Was an okay hotel but too much money for what we got. The room seemed a bit dated and some of the electrical points were almost hanging off the walls. We were a little upset about our room as when we looked at the layout map of the hotel, we realised that our room was smaller than everyone else's as the stairs cut into what should have been our space. Also, all the other rooms had windows on both ends of their rooms, ours only had a window on one end and was therefore very dark. It just annoyed us because we were paying what everyone else was, but getting only two thirds of the space. Also, the lighting in the room was inadequate, so even in the middle of the day, we literally could see in the coffee making cupboard to work the machine as it was so dark. I had to use the light on my mobile phone to see what I was doing.

Another annoyance was when we wanted a coffee we realised there was only coffee mate in our room. I went to reception and asked for some milk or cream and was informed that they had none - at all - in the entire hotel. I found this very hard to believe and even if it were true, I'd expect them to go and get some for me if I had requested it - I certainly would if I ran a hotel.

Overall I believe it was over priced, had poor service and was a little run down. Having said that, I got a reasonable nights sleep so it did the job I suppose.

1 Thank MWest11
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I agree with the reviews that the photos on the website are a bit misleading. The hotel has outside corridors that are quite slopped. Some rooms are renovated and other are not. We ended up in a renovated room.

Reservations had been made at the end of February for our stay on Sept 24th by calling the 800 reservation number. The reservation lady said that the King bed was going to be more money than a queen bed but would give us the upgrade at the same cost as the queen.
However, when we got there, I handed the front desk person our confirmation that stated a King bed. He gave us keys to a room that had 2 queens. I went back and told him we had booked a king. He advised that he didn't have any King beds left. This surprised me since we booked it in February for the end of Sept. Then he said there was one room that was not renovated. I asked to see the room and decided to stay with the 2 queen beds.

The front desk clerk had not mentioned that there would be coffee and pasteries in the morning. We did not go to the front area so we missed out on the continental breakfast.

Also, the other mistake I made, is that I did not check the rates online closer to our stay, say in about July or August. If I had I would have found that the AAA or the Seniors rate was less than the rate I was quoted and reserved back in Feb. I had asked about both rates but was quoted $159. If I had checked online, I could have got the room for $143. (Found this the day after our stay).

Beds and pillows were GREAT!
Bathroom was nice other than both faucets leaked when we turned on the water.
Large shower with a separate tub. Shower faucet was not overly powerful, just average.
Overall the room was very comfortable but not large. It also has a small fridge which came in handy.

Overall the rooms were comfortable but for the price, we will likely book a different hotel next year strictly due to the staff and the outside corridors.

1 Thank Tobe133
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We were a bit worried about staying here after reading some of the reviews, especially the ones stating it was noisy. I have to say i ended wondering if they were staying at the same hotel. Quick check in, very friendly staff, the room was large and very clean, the beds were the most comfortable we have ever slept in, and we were not disturbed once, even though the hotel was full for a few nights whilst we were there. 10 minute walk into banff although if you want to drive there is free parking available. I would definitely stay here again, great value for money.

1 Thank Howardangel
Illinois
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed here on our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. We were rarely in the room as hiking took up most of our days but it was perfect just the same. Convenient parking, clean rooms, and we enjoyed the walk into town.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple