“After staying there for 25 years, NEVER again.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets

Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“After staying there for 25 years, NEVER again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Head over to our Chalet, open the door and the metal bracket and the dead bolt are hanging, not even screwed tight. We get into the room and go to put the stuff in the fridge and the kitchen light won't work, I call the main desk and report it, "oh the light does that all the time, just hit it" So my wife does that and it works. They will have a repair person right over the fix the door.The kids go to the pool and we wait.11/2 hour later I call again "oh sorry they just left for the night, but there is no crime in Banff so don't worry about it" I go to start supper and all the knifes, cooking spoons, plates had chunks of food on them, so I washed what I need and put the rest in the dishwasher. None of the lamps were plugged in and the tv cables had been removed and been placed in a drawer. I go and open the oven door and there is food in the oven left from god knows when. I call for a different room, "sorry we can't help you out" no reason given The day we checked out I go back into the office and and give the front desk crap,15 mins later informs me that "because we booked it online and did phone the hotel directly, they will not offer any type of discount" I asked to talk to the manager and She refuses to come out of the office and face me. She's a busy person and doesn't have time for this.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Donald S
DouglasFir007, General Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
I would like to take this opportunity to let you know there is new management in place and I would like to assure you that this is not the way our guests should ever be treated and that many changes have been implemented in the short time that I have been here so that situations like this do not happen.I would also like to say that in future all issues or problems will be handled on an individual basis to ensure that all of our guests concerns are dealt with in an appropriate manner.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at the Douglas Fir for a ladies' weekend out. Our 3-bedroom family suite in the main lodge fit eight girls very comfortably. There were four queen and two double beds and four bathrooms -- a definite plus! The kitchen was well-stocked with dishes and glasses and the long dining room table fit us all. There was a fireplace and comfortable couches. There was a musty smell when we first came in, but we either go used to it or the smell went away after opening the windows. Air conditioning in the room was a little finicky but worked well. The resort has a small grocery store and liquor store attached. While it's certainly not as nice as some of the other resorts in Banff, it was reasonably priced. You could walk to Banff Ave, it'll take about 20 minutes; otherwise, it's a $10 cab ride (but that might have been a long route). It was a decent stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank theseoldroads
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at the hotel as a child many times and a few times since then. The rooms have been renovated nicely. I'm happy to introduce my kids to such a great place to stay. We enjoyed the loft chalet so much and had a lot of fun at the water slides. This year there are a new series of hot water pools outside, a great addition. We are already planning in our return. The only issues were dealt with right away but when I booked our stay they confirmed that there would be a breakfast delivered to our room as stated in the website and confirmed when I booked it but it wasn't, called the front desk and they said it wasn't included. If it wasn't my first stay I would have been really unhappy, the hotel was really empty which added to my frustration, it was in early June and not prime time. Should have delivered on there promise.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Kbell1969
Innisfail, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in April and we love it here. It was not our first time! The rooms have a very cozy laid back charm. There is a wood burning fireplace and you can smell this throughout the hotel. I love that smell though like your camping it's wonderful. There is a huge indoor play park for the kids which my kids (5 & 9 ) love to play in! Also included free for guests is the use of their waterslides. They are amazing so much stuff to keep the kids occupied even if the weather isn't agreeing with your plans. We stayed in a two bedroom pet friendly condo and it was sooo spacious. They all have fully stocked kitchenettes so if you choose to make your own meals everything you could want is there. The views are wonderful and I believe most/ all rooms come with a patio.
The hotel is not on the main route is is a bit away from Banff but there is free shuttle service and getting downtown is never a problem. It is also quieter at night time because of this an added bonus in my books. I highly recommend to all my friends!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Kris2bfree
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

It has a pool area like other hotels with a sauna and hot tub. It also has the totally separate waterslide area that has a steam room, which is more like a rec facility than a standard hotel with noisy kids having fun. I have stayed here at least 20 times and wondered if some of the recent reviews reflected a downgrade in the facility. However my most recent stay in May 2014 was as good as the past stays. I have always stayed in the chalets so I am not very familiar with the rooms in the lodge.
Last stay, four adults stayed in a chalet and everyone had their own bed, one in the bedroom, one on the sofa in living room and two in the beds in the loft. Very comfortable even if you do not know the other people that well. Nice fireplace with firewood, kitchen facilities, and at as reasonable a price as any other hotel in Banff. It is not near the main part of town but is near the wildlife and you should always see elk or other animals near the hotel.
My opinion is that this place should be one of the higher rated, also considering that others that might be "nicer" will be much more expensive.

Room Tip: The chalets are great for large groups (four or more adults), I never stayed in the lodge.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Douglas Fir. I cannot say enough how perfect it is for a young family. It rained a significant portion of our stay but between the play area and the pool kids were happy. The rooms could be modernized but my kids thought they were "cool". We will stay here again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank canadian_couple2005
Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Our recent trip to Banff started off with a few problems at our accommodations where our room was not ready for our arrival, our safe was not working, our shades were broken and we had to walk through a snow drift to get to our cabin. The next day our room was un-prepared even though we were out until after 5:00 p.m. Overall our stay was unacceptable and not up to past experiences at this resort.

Room Tip: Book ahead and ensure that the room you are given has been cleaned and made ready for your arrival.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business