“Crisp Linen!”
Review of Mount Royal Hotel

Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We really liked this hotel right in the centre of Banff. Very comfortable beds with lovely crisp linen. Very good customer service from Don and Megan who were super helpful. Would we go back?.... yes!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tulipstoby
MRHGuestServices, Front Office Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear tulipstoby,

Thank you for your lovely comments, I have passed them on to our Housekeeping team as well as Don and Meaghan. It's fantastic to hear that they left such an impression on your visit. I hope we will be seeing you in the Rockies again soon!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here with our tour group and found the hotel very clean and pleasant. Our room was brightly decorated and cheerful, with a well equipped bathroom. We had a room facing the street but it was nonetheless quiet. The only let down is the breakfast place located in the hotel - we went into Tony Romas for a breakfast but at 8.15 it seemed the food was nearly finished. The scrambled eggs were very dry and there was little choice. The coffee was so weak I could have sworn it was tea. To his credit the host (Tony?) saw how little I ate and only charged me $4. That was a nice gesture, but the buffet needs attention.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear agrippina1952,

Thank-you so much for your great review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your renovated room. I'm sorry to hear about breakfast, I will be sure to pass your comments on to the management team of Tony Roma's.

I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your tour as much as your stay with us!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Mount Royal is in a great location on Banff Avenue and should be a wonderful place to stay. But it is very under staffed during peak times in particular.
There was also a distinct lack of cleanliness. The room wasn't too bad, although very tired with peeling wallpaper & paint, and a bathroom which was badly designed. But the common areas were filthy with unsavoury marks on the doors leading out to the high street still being there when we left.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view over Banff Avenue, otherwise you are looking over the parking lot whic...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Krugdrinker

Dear Krugdrinker,

Thank you very much for your honest review. It's true that we are fortunate to have such a fantastic location in the center of all that Banff has to offer.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt we were coming up short in cleanliness, and I will pass your comments on to our Housekeeping team right away to have this rectified. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I hope that you might be willing to give us another chance on your next visit to Banff, to provide you with what we consider to be the true Mount Royal experience!

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I am in banff often and if you want to shop this hotel is perfect just outside the door are all shops and many restaurants. This is the only hotel that is right in where all shops are without driving. Price decent at around 130 dollars and pet friendly. Tony romas is on location and good but you have many choices to eat around.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
MRHGuestServices, Front Desk Supervisor at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear citygirl13Calgary,

Thank you for your recent review of the Mount Royal Hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our downtown location. We hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Banff.

Meaghan Young
Front Desk Supervisor

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Mount Royal hotel in Banff for two nights during the weekend of the Rocky Mountain Wine and Food Festival. We arrived late on Friday night (8pm) and check-in was a breeze. We were in our room in no time. They do have parking, but it seemed scarce – we lucked out and got a spot right in the back of the hotel.

As for the room, we have stayed at this hotel many times before, but it appears that they have done some renovations since. I booked the premium king room and besides being fairly large, it was an odd combination of new and old. The walls still maintained their old charm, walls that you would expect to see in a historical building. However, the furniture was new and modern and the tiny window was covered by a curtain that occupied the entire wall. The bathroom was updated as well, except for the tub and shower. It was like they plunked a modern vanity in an old-style bathroom, but didn’t consider that it certainly didn’t leave much room for manoeuvering. Anyway, none of this was particularly bad or made for a bad stay. It was just weird. Also, we got the view of the parking lot, which we normally get at any hotel (I guess we have bad luck that way), but you could catch a glimpse of the mountains which was nice.

There were a couple of negatives. The walls/floors are paper thin – so bring ear plugs. Also, the hairdryer kept turning off if I tried to use the high setting for more than a few seconds. If you have thick hair like me, take your own dryer!

Keep in mind that there is no room service. There is a Tony Roma’s onsite – we did try to get into their lounge, but every table that wasn’t already occupied was reserved. So we ate elsewhere, came back a couple of hours later (11pmish) and those tables were still empty and still reserved. Oh well, I would have spent my money there, so they lost out and we had a great meal just down the street.

I think I would stay there again. You can’t beat the location (right in the center of Banff) and the price is right.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PurrcyCat

Dear PurrcyCat,

Thank you for your great and detailed review! As a fellow lover of both the food and wine festival and Banff's other great restaurants, I'm excited to be able to tell you that our brand new Toque pub will be opening on Canada Day, which will give us another great dining option right here in the hotel.

I apologize for the issue that you had with your hairdryer, I will pass your comment on to our Executive Housekeeper right away so that we can find and replace it.

I hope that we will be welcoming you to Banff again soon!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The staff were amazing, I was proposing to my now fiancé that night and it was a surprise, my fiancé didn't come prepared and they were fantastic got her a toothbrush and some other toiletries she needed. They made the night perfect. Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014
MRHGuestServices, Front Office Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear JcGaetz,

Thank you so much for posting your great story about your stay with us. I'm thrilled to hear that our team were able to make such a special night perfect. I hope that we will be welcoming you and your wife-to-be many times more in the future!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We spent 3 nights here. Our room was not ready when we arrived but it didnt matter as we had only travelled from Calgary. Room was very spacious and clean with comfortable bed. It is right on the main street so in walking distance of restaurants and shops. Beautiful view of mountains from window. Old spaghetti factory very good food and sevice. Hotel breakfast very tasty and good value. Bus across street will take you up to gondola for 2 dollars. Definitely worth a visit so beautiful!! Walk along Bow river - lovely. We had lots of snow and it was between seasons so not very busy. Ice cream from Cows a must!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Carol A,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your room and our ideal location. I agree that the Banff Gondola is a must-see! I hope we will be welcoming you to Banff again soon!