“Sunshine Mountain Lodge Rocks”

Sunshine Mountain Lodge
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Even if Sunshine Mountain Lodge was not the only ski-in ski-out lodging (and it is) in all of Banff National Park it would still be an absolute unique and wonderful experience. Imagine a) not having to go home after a great day of skiing, b) staying high on the mountain overnight, and c) getting first dibs a good half hour ahead of everyone else ... because you're already there!!! Oh, and then there's an outrageously oversized outdoor hot tub, great food and drinks, great service, pool table, library, fun and games, spa services and fantastic rooms. Can'y enough of the SML experience - or the predictably phenomenal Sunshine Village snow. Seriously, if you haven't been yet, you simply must. This time we took our nephew from Seattle, great for families, romantic getaways, or a pack of friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank VinderSchroeder

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We had the best experience at Sunshine Mountain Lodge from the minute we arrived. You must stay here if you want a carefree, fun ski vacation getaway. We had a suite with comfortable bed, luxurious bath, great amenities and million dollar view. The staff and management were wonderful, super friendly, welcoming and helpful. The skiing/snowboarding was powder perfect! Great for families, groups and couples! Will be going back! Sunshine Mountain Lodge is absolute perfection. I can't recommend this hotel enough! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ivanac1313
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed for 1 night after coming across a travelzoo voucher which made the value unbeatable really; I'm not sure what the rooms go for without vouchers though. The experience of staying on the mountain was really incredible. Basically the only place you can get the slope side hot tub experience and it is everything you could hope for: huge (no crowding), perfect temperture, overlooking the lifts and slopes and no rules about alcoholic beverages (except glass). We did not try the Eagle's nest but the casual dining restaurant was good value. Being at the top of the gondola, you can be the first people up the lifts in the morning. The room was small, but very nice, including a balcony also overlooking the slopes. The staff were very helpful but did not have our bags ready for us either after our first day of skiing when we got to the room or after our second day of skiing when we were at the base of the moutnain. I would recommend you specify precicely when you need your bags to avoid this. My only major complaint would be how dry the room was. There was a basic hot steam humidifier supplied to the room that was not effective and the dryness in the air was very noticable which made for poor sleeping conditions.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 88TanyaS
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My family stayed in room 206, in the newer west wing part of lodge. The room was excellent design, modern, clean, great for the 4 of us with the queen bed and then the Murphy double. The staff were friendly and efficient. The only trouble we had was on the last night of our stay - it was after 11, everyone was tired from long day of fun and while arranging furniture and pulling down the bed my son burned his hand on the fireplace front. Lots of crying. So maybe watch that if you have kids, very hot and no protective barrier or screen. We thought our skiing was done, but he patched up with bandaids the next morning from first aid and skied anyway. Obviously there is hallway noise in a ski resort with boots etc., but we use a white noise machine at hotels so not an issue. Ski lockers were great, VIP parking nice for check in and check out. Great skiiing. Loved the hotel and would stay there again, maybe with a loft room so we wouldn't have to worry about pulling down the Murphy. Overall excellent.

Room Tip: New west wing
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Candace H
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We booked the 'Powder Stay and Ski Special' which clearly states 'Includes next day lift passes' on the booking website, and on the About Us>Guest Information page it states 'If you wish to ski or snowboard on your day of arrival, there will be an additional charge.' Based on that information, I contacted the reservations department and asked how much the 'additional charge' was to ski on arrival, to which I was told 'there is no extra charge' and I just needed to make sure i mention it when booking. I had a bit of trouble getting onto reservations that night so I booked online and left a message for someone to call me back (via Twitter), when someone called me I told them what I was told in the email and that I had booked online but keen to ski on arrival, she said she'd make a note in my booking.

On arrival, it was a whole other story. I was asked which day I wanted to ski, and I showed the lady at the counter my email and explained the story (she even looked up the website and saw that it clearly states 'next day lift passes'. She said she would talk to her supervisor and see what she could do. When we checked into the hotel up the top, we were told that they were unable to give us lift tickets for both days, but instead upgraded us.

We were enjoying our day and weren't going to let this bother us, so we just accepted the upgrade and didn't bother arguing, as it turned out we skied hard enough on the first day we didn't really feel like skiing the second day (apart from skiing down to the car).

Other than that annoyance on arrival, the stay was good. The staff were nice in the hotel and the restaurants.

Our upgraded room (facing the ski runs) was great, the only issue I could find with the room that where the coffee machine was placed was too far from the powerpoint to be able to plug it in, that was a bit odd. The room was clean and comfortable, the TV had some volume issues (would randomly get really loud), but generally it was good, we didn't hear much from other guests at all.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joolery
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I decided to book 2 nights at this lodge after coming across a Travelzoo voucher. I was a little nervous at staying so far up the mountain and leaving the security of my car a gondola ride away. We made sure that we did not miss the 5:00pm cutoff for our ride up to the hotel. The parking was very convenient. Check-in was quick, friendly and comfortable (couch/fireplace and washrooms), We stayed in room 111 in the New West Wing. Rooms are great! Queen bed and a Murphy bed. Room was small for extended stays but perfect for 2 or 3 nights. Fireplace was a nice touch. You could hear other hotel guests but we were not bothered by it. It wasn't busy during our stay so this may have had something to do with it. We skied all day so we were all very tired by the end and slept great! The hot tub before bed helped too! The change rooms and hot tub were very clean. My children enjoyed the scavenger hunt, snow shoeing, tobogganing and skiing. The staff went out of their way to help us with these extracurricular events- even helping a bunch of us put on the snowshoes. The food was good. We ate dinner and lunch at the Chimney Corner and the Trapper's pub. For breakfast we were eager to get skiing so we just grabbed something quick from the "Star bucks" store and brought it back to our room to eat. The locker room was big, bright, clean and well equipped. My son was happy to have his down time in the games room and play the Wii. There was a beautiful t.v. room that we didn't have time to take advantage of - where movie night took place. Would definitely go back, but for 3 nights instead of just 2! No worries!

Room Tip: Do not choose a room near the doors to the stairway as when they close they are very loud!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Oakvillehipster
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My hiking and skiing buddies have a get together every year and this was one of the best weekends we've had so far. The accommodations were absolutely fantastic. We had a King premier suite at the end of the new building which was connected to a loft with 3 queens. The view from the rooms were directly onto the ski hill yet were very private. The beds were comfortable, with great cozy comforters. The bathrooms very luxurious and spacious (the bathtub had a window that you could open to the rest of the room if you wanted). It dumped with snow all 3 days and nights we were there, so the conditions could not have been better. (except perhaps if the sun came out). We managed first runs in powder every morning before the rest of the people arrived which really enhanced our experience. The Chimney Corner dining room has a great menu and it's very cosy with a large fireplace and spectacular views of the mountain. The service in the restaurant was very attentive and friendly - mostly young people from other parts of the world working for the ski-season. I would highly recommend the Sunshine Lodge and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends