Banff Aspen Lodge
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Very easy to find, located near all the shops and a grocery store, the hotel was a great value on a budget. The bed was a bit old and uncomfortable, but we made it work. Banff is a beautiful place and we can’t wait to come back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank want2c
BanffAspen, Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2010

Thank you for your feedback and I’m glad you feel that the Banff Aspen Lodge has great value! The hotel purchased new beds for all guestrooms two years ago. However, could you please send us an email with your room number to sales@banffaspenlodge.com? The beds are on warranty and we need to test the bed and address this right away. The hotel does receive many other comments from guests saying how great they slept during their stay with us. We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next trip to Banff~

Write a ReviewReviews (1,486)

Reviewed 17 April 2010

Living in Calgary, we spend weekends in Banff many times a year, usually electing to stay just Saturday night. Our favorite spot by far is the Banff Aspen Lodge.

The location is great, and it is a short walk to downtown even if the weather is cold out. The rooms are large and comfortable, and although the decor is a little outdated, its perfect if you don't plan on spending a lot of time in the room. Cleanliness is always excellent, and the staff are friendly and courteous. The outdoor hot tubs are very nice for ski season, and the free underground parking is wonderful.

We really like the free breakfast, and it is a nice way to start the day without forking out 20 bucks in downtown Banff, Watch for their packages, as the stay and soak deal with passes to the upper hot springs is a good value.

If you are looking for a Banff Springs experience don't stay here, but if you are looking for solid, quiet clean accommodation, this place is tops!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Reemer01
BanffAspen, Sales Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2010

I loved reading your review and hearing that the Banff Aspen Lodge is your favourite spot in Banff; thanks so much for staying with us!

I do want to let you know that the hotel is currently renovating all guestrooms; they will be complete by December 31, 2010. All rooms are receiving new curtains, carpet, lighting, bedding, wallpaper and look absolutely gorgeous!

Reviewed 13 April 2010

I admit the hotel has very friendly staff, clean & relative to the price paid, it was not a bad deal. but for the amount you pay per room, guests deserve more that cornflex & jams for breakfast. wouldn't hurt to have some scrambled eggs or cheese around.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hodaraffa

Thank you for your feedback. All rates at the Banff Aspen Lodge include our Canadian Rockies Continental Breakfast. As stated on our website, this includes fresh baked goods from our kitchen, your choice of wheat, white and multigrain breads, fresh fruits, selected yogurt and different types of cereal including our delicious homemade granola. Adding eggs and cheese to our breakfast would result in an increase to the hotel’s room rate, as the breakfast costs would go up. The hotel’s price point is very competitive, especially because we include a continental breakfast in our room rates. Thanks again and I hope you enjoyed your time in Banff National Park~

Reviewed 13 April 2010

My husband and I just stayed at the Banff Aspen Lodge for 4 nights. We were spring skiing in Banff and I cannot say enough about the lodge. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly as could be, easy to get to Sunshine Mountain and Lake Louise, ski storage easily available, breakfast was healthy and delicious, hot tubs/steam room/sauna were clean and such a great way to end the day. EASY and quick walk to the town. DEFINITELY recommend it - just ask them to turn the fridge off before you get into the room.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BJB1027
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I stayed here over the winter ski period with my friend.

The staff are absolutley amazing. I can not thank them enough for the amazing hospitality they showed. My friend fell ill while we were staying in the hotel. We had to extend our trip as she was put in the hospital - The hotel staff let me extend the trip- honoured the discounted rate i was given and left us in our upgraded room the entire stay- so we didnt have to pack and unpack into another room.

One night was not available as the hotel was booked out and the staff even offered to put myself up in the staff accom to try and accomodate as my friend was in the hospital and I was alone.

I have stayed in both the newer rooms and the older rooms. the older style rooms are basic, but have everything you need and pay for. The renovated rooms are very stylish and very comfortable. They have recently upgraded the facilities and have two amazing outdoor hot tubs, a hot steam sauna and a dry sauna. They were all kept very clean and the staff provide fresh towels daily located at the hot tubs.

I never got up in time for the breakfast so i cannot comment, but all the bookings come with free breakfast.

brilliant location, 5 min walk from local shops and a few doors down for the ski field buses.

this hotel is ideal for younger people- alot of young travellers staying in the hotel and very social, comfortable and quiet.

The staff will go above and beyond for you- and i will most def stay there on my next snowboarding trip!

recommended for everyone! The banff aspen felt very much like home for me and we miss the staff dearly!!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank kitt3np0wer
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Based upon the reviews on Trip Advisor, I decided to try this hotel, even though the rate looked almost too good to be true. Two business colleagues decided to book rooms here too. We were not disappointed. Great service, decent rooms, free covered parking, perfect location (close to downtown, but not too close), and outstanding value. Nothing fancy, but all very functional. One specific piece of advice: It is worth a few dollars more to avoid the “Economy” rooms. On the second evening, the internet wasn’t working throughout the hotel. They called tech support, who couldn’t fix it remotely and said they’d come out the next morning. The hotel removed the charge from my bill before I even asked. I’ll be back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Retailwonderer
BanffAspen, Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2010

Thanks for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the BAL! Our Economy Rooms are our smallest room category and we recommend them if in Banff for one night or two. Please note the Economy Rooms will be upgraded in the fall of 2010 when the hotel’s room renovation project continues. Hope to see you again sometime soon!

Reviewed 25 March 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Aspen Lodge for three nights during Family long weekend in February. Like the other reviews say the breakfast is awesome, great start to the day. The staff is very friendly, the hot tubs outside are a great place to finish up your day (especially if you have been out skiing). Some rooms in the lodge are renovated in a more modern style. We stayed in one of the renovated rooms, you can ask for the reno-ed room if you book directly through the hotel (they will not guarantee it, but will make a note on your reservation) or upon check-in. There is free parking underground, behind the hotel and on the street. The only disappointing factors were: the beds are very soft and bouncy and the heat adjuster in the rooms doesn't work, so it is very hot. You can open the balcony but the hotel is right on the main street so it is very loud. All this is not a problem if you sleep as a log, but I have what my husband calls bat-ears, and hear everything. Neither of us got the greatest sleeps.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VikaCalgary

Thank you for your review and I’m glad you enjoyed our two outdoor hot tubs and Canadian Rockies Continental Breakfast! It’s unfortunate that you did not sleep well at the hotel. Everyone has a preference for how soft a bed should be and we do receive a lot of compliments on how comfortable our beds are. In regards to your room being hot, please send me an email at sales@banffaspenlodge.com to let me know the room that you stayed in so that I can ensure the thermostat is now working. Please note 34 more guestrooms are currently being upgraded and the remaining rooms will be fully renovated by December 31, 2010.