“Nice Place”

Tunnel Mountain Resort
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights. It was great to have cooking facilities as we ate breakfast in and had dinner in a few nights. Loved the location as it is away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Banff. The bus stop was right there so it was easy to take the bus or you could also walk to town. The people at the front desk were accommodating.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joan925
There are newer reviews for Tunnel Mountain Resort

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was the second stop over during our five day Rocky MountainTrip..

We got a decent rate for two nights, and the apartment we got was great, although not great if you have a very young child, as the room had very steep stairs up to the mezzanine floor. It had a big bedroom downstairs, a decent sized bathroom, kitchen/living room, which looked out over the forest.

The resort itself had a nice little pool, family BBQ area, and kids play park. Staff were friendly and helpful.

A good place to stay with the family, and very close to the centre of Banff.

The only down side of the trip was a couple of accidents, which caused an injury to my wife and young daughter. The injury to my daughters leg was because of sharp metal edges at the side of the bed, and the injury to my wife was caused because of loose metal edging the stones outside the front of our apartment. Apart from this, we enjoyed the stay and the resort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My family and I spent 4 days at the resort.We had a chalet which had 3 levels.2 bed rooms a dining /lounge/kitchen.Balcony as well and this ideal for us.A great place to stay.Not that far from the town.The reception was very friendly.The cost can be high but you get for what you pay.I would recommend this place to anyone.Tony

Room Tip: If you have a family pick the Chalets with a loft.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My teenage son, husband and I spent two nights, three days in Banff. We cooked several meals in the full kitchen so as to save from constantly eating out. The 1-bedroom suite was well-equipped, comfortable and clean although I had to ask for a sharper knife than the one provided. Counter space in both the kitchen area and bathroom as very limited. The facility was quiet and in a nice location on top of the mountain.

We walked down to the downtown area to enjoy the Canada Day parade knowing there were street detours and little parking. Getting back up the moutain on a hot day was terrible! Luckily, there are public buses that traverse the corrider every 15 to 30 mins.

Banff can be quite expensive during high season so we were lucky to get a good price by using Mountain Tunnel Resort. There are also 2-bedroom suites available, but the three of us did fine with a double bed and pull-out couch.

The pool, although small, had a nice view and windows all around. The change facility was great with showers, lockers and hair dryer. I was not used to seeing this in a hotel.

One neat discovery was that driving on the other part of Mountain Tunnel Rd took you around the side of town of Banff down a winding road to a place called "Surprise Corner". Here, you get a great view of Banff Springs Hotel and an aeriel view of part of the town and Bow River.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has view, basement suites can be dark.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I spent 4 days and 3 nights at the Tunnel Mountain Resort, over a weekend. The hotel is conveniently located, close to town and also to the myriad trails in Banff. The room was clean and spacious (with a second bedroom and bathroom upstairs in a loft), well accommodated with a full-service kitchen, free wifi, and perfectly suited to our needs. We are Sabbath observers, and the staff was extremely helpful in meeting our special needs for that day. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This property has different accommodation styles so the review is based on my visit to the room they label as "executive".

The pool and hot tub are very small and located next to the lobby/registration desk. While in the hot tub, some kids, despite being there with adults, were jumping in the water, causing much splashing, ordinarily not an issue but as we were in the hot tub, it was not an enjoyable experience. This was also just before closing at 10:00 PM.

The property is at the top of a steep hill. The walk up will test your endurance - enough said about this.

The room is overpriced for what you get in return. The "extras" in our room included a steam shower, jetted tub and DVD player (without remote).

The balcony is nice but not much of a view. It overlooks a foot pathway and the main road.

Our accommodation was prepaid by voucher through a third party company but despite this, the property insists on taking a "deposit". The funny thing is that the amount they claimed to be on my credit card did not match the actual amount charged against my card (I am notified by text by my credit card company) - draw your own conclusion.

There is no restaurant on the property.

I was told on more than one occasion that the property was under new management. I'm not sure of the point of this other than this was to redeem them somehow of any shortcomings.

Despite the "executive" accommodation, don't expect your room to be cleaned on a daily basis. This is, of course, explained as an environmental benefit and nothing to do with hotel profits. We did receive a morning knock on our door on the second and last day of our stay asking if we needed anything.

Overall, the price of the room is poor value for return received and room prices are somewhat inflated but perhaps not relative to high season in Banff. However, I would prefer to overpay where I am, at least, walking distance to downtown Banff. The hill is a deal breaker.

Our third party package included a bike rental through a downtown Banff bike shop with vouchers issued by the hotel. The rental procedure was flawless and the redeeming factor to this hotel stay.

The room was spacious but nothing fancy. My expectation was something a little more than I received, considering the price and "executive" tag attached to the room.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This resort is really a collection of room types with a few extras like customer laundry facility (coin operated), pool and spa. Was only there for two nights and didn't use any of it. I was there with friends and we had three rooms, two were one bedroom suites and the other was an executive suite. The difference being the executive suite had a steam shower and a whirlpool tub whereas the one bedroom suites had a sitting room area and a kitchen. Unless you are a gadget freak save some money and go for the one bedroom suite. A long walk to the town centre but there is a bus stop right outside the hotel which takes you into town, $2 each way per person. If you get a front facing room you get a balcony with a view of the mountains, if the tree lined sidewalk isn't in the way. We liked this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are there more than a couple of days get a multi-day pass for the bus, $5 i think.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends