“Fantastic stay and excellent food!”

Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My friend and I just returned from a night at the Delta, and were extremely happy with our choice of hotel. We were in a premier room and it was beautiful, with comfortable crisp linens, a gas fireplace, flat screen tv, in room safe, etc. The pool, though on the small side, was very serene, the hot tub was large and the pool area had a spa like feel to it. We ate dinner at the hotels Evergreen restaurant, and while the ambiance of the restaurant wasn't spectacular, the food and service was amazing. So good in fact that we changed our plans just so we could eat breakfast the next morning at the restaurant again. Hats off to the chef!
It took us a five minute walk along the main drag past other hotels to get to the centre of town... Not far indeed.
This hotel has a boutique feel to it where the little extra touches such as a welcome gift of truffles in room on arrival, a clean windshield in the morning, being greeted by name by the staff, etc really make the stay special. I have stayed in many hotels in Banff and would say this is my favorite option downtown.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank AlbertaBeachgal
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for submitting such a positive review on your last visit to the Delta Banff. I hope future travelers use your review to help them conclude their decision to stay with us. We are very pleased to hear our rooms and the staff were able to provide the type of memorable experience we wish for every guest and excited to hear we are your favourite stay option in Banff!
Thank you again for choosing Delta Hotels!
Sincerely, Liisa Acheson

Reviewed 27 March 2012

This was a great hotel. Very clean. Large rooms. Wonderful mattresses. Nice pool but very small. The "hot tub" was great...very hot and a nice size. Good steam room. Food was a bit expensive so we didn't eat here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ndoy
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to submit a review on your recent stay at the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge! We are just as happy to provide you with a nice stay as you are happy to find a nice hotel in Banff. Thank you for commenting on your stay highlights which future travelers can relate to. We hope to see you again soon on a return visit.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

So its my one year anniversary with my husband. We thought we would go away for the weekend to celebrate. So I booked a room with Hotwire for a 4 star hotel, the before price listed at $229, available for $158. So I booked the room, purchased travel insurance, as that seemed like a decent deal. After I purchased this, it was revealed that it was the Delta Royal Canadian Lodge. So I went online and looked at the rooms available at the Delta to try and see what kind of room I was getting. The standard room was listed at the delta for the same days at $181, and the premier room was at $229. So naturally I thought that I would be in the premier room. So I call Hotwire to confirm the room they have booked me in. I am told it is the standard room. This is what they have told me in an email what their policy is.

" Hot Rates are booked based on the star rating, neighborhood and other details and so the crossed out rate we show before booking is an example based on published rates for similar hotels. The slashed out rate is not indicative of the specific hotel's published rates.

The savings are based on median published rate we've found on leading retail travel sites in the last 24-48 hours for the same neighborhood, star rating, and stay dates. Rates change regularly in the travel industry and we regularly check rates on other travel sites to ensure you are getting a great deal, backed by our Low Price Guarantee."

When I researched around a bit more, I compared prices on 4 star hotels in Banff on other websites, along with regular prices at 4 star hotels. The most expensive room I could find was listed at 180 a night for that time frame that I was booking.

So after I have called Hotwire, they have told me they cannot upgrade me to a better room that its up to The Delta to do that. I called The Delta, they are telling me that it is up to Hotwire to upgrade the room. So then I thought oh to heck with it, I purchased cancellation insurance. So I call the insurance company, they will not refund it for that given reason. It needs to be medical, provided by a examination, a terrorist attack, a death in the family, or the company going bankrupt.

So all of this means I could have gone to a different hotel paid the same price and gotten a way better room. I think this defeats the purpose of buying with out knowing the hotel. I will now never ever book with Delta or Hotwire EVER again.

Room Tip: Book where policies are very transparent.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Angie M
BanffManagement, Reservations Coordinator at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to speak with me regarding your review, our telephone conversation helped to resolve any hesitations about staying with our hotel. I appreciate your honesty when it comes to third party online booking agencies and their methods of selling. I am happy we were able to come to a resolution to your booking frustration and that your upcoming stay with us will be comfortable and enjoyable as we hope to exceed your expectations!
Kind Regards,
Jennifer Rawlings
Reservations Coordinator

Reviewed 15 March 2012

The room was lovely, with fireplace. Bathroom was outstanding.
The pool was on the small side, but in a very nice setting.
Staff was friendly although a bit slow.
Directly on main street, which is nice, but still quite a walk to the shops and restaurants.
Very nice experience overall.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annie24
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Reading each guest review is a delight, as it shares both our strengths and weaknesses. We were happy to have hosted you and thank you for recognizing how comfortable and great our rooms are! Sounds like our staff could pick up the pace a bit more to ensure fast and efficient service. Thank you for your kind, constructive post. We look forward to having you stay again soon at the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

The plumbing made noise all the time. Maybe the vent for the plumbing was not working because the tub 'gurgled' all the time.
The staff was friendly. The pool area was nice, clean and well kept.
My biggest concern was when some local 'characters' climbed over the locked gate directly outside our window. They were going somewhere at the rear of the hotel to do 'something'??
This happened on three ocassions at various times. I told the front desk two times. They appeared to be surprised and promised to have maintenance and/or security people remedy the problem. I did see the maintenance person out there, but nothing was done. Judging by the well worn path from the street to this location, this has been going on for awhile without any action from the hotel!!
So, thinking of going here? Get a room on the upper floors and bring ear plugs.

Room Tip: Not on the main floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Anrai
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear Valued Delta Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to submit a great review on your most recent stay with us at the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge. We strive to be the best stay option in Banff as we have much competition and I thank you for pointing out this local disturbance. As you noted, we have both maintenance and security available that can monitor this guest disturbance. Looking forward to hosting you again soon, as you will not be disturbed again.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed for two nights and we had a great time. Room was very cozy with king bed, fireplace and sofa bed. Early check in was very convenient (we arrived at 11:00 AM), service was excellent, pool well maintained.
Hotel location is on Banff Ave, walking distance to everything (since you're in downtown it is hard to expect "good view" - for those who wants good view, go higher above Banff to Banff Hot Springs Hotel or Rimrock Resort Hotel).
We eat buffet breakfast: very good service, good food, although more choice wouldn't hurt.
All in all very good family stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Vlada_Calgary
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Thank you for your post in regards to your recent visit, and recommending our hotel in Banff National Park. We were very pleased to hear our rooms and staff was able to provide the type of experience we wish for every guest. Thank you once again for your post and should future travels bring you to Banff, we look forward to having you choose us again!

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We booked our room for 3 nights with saved up airmiles and were please all the way around. We didn't eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the restaurant but our room was clean (first floor, king bed with fireplace) and service seemed friendly and prompt. No view but it is within easy walking distance to all downtown shops and restaurants. Was quiet and provided everything I needed. The only things I would say is that the pillows could use an upgrade and the comforter is much to warm. We had to have the air conditioning on in February just to get to sleep. Overall, we were happy. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank C A

It was our pleasure to host you at the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge! Thank you for the constructive criticism towards the pillows as we want to ensure the most comfortable sleep for all of our guests. As we have been able to most recently replace the mattresses, we will look into replacing pillows in the near future. We rely on guest comments to improve our service standards and product, again, thank you for your review!
We hope to welcome you back soon, sincerely,