“Beautiful!”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Stayed two nights. Room was comfy/cozy. Fireplace was a nice touch as it was cool and rainy one evening. The breakfast buffet was very good. The staff was super polite and helpful. The hotel was quiet. Other guests were pleasant to chat with. The pool, hot tub and steam room were very nice. This hotel had everything and felt plush, and it was still affordable. Loved it.

1 Thank Anare97

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2010

The rooms were pretty typical for a Delta with nice comfortable beds and a very nice bathroom. We didn't have a good view but maybe the rooms with a view were more expensive. It is a bit of a walk to downtown where all the restraunts and shops are. I have stayed in other hotels in Banff and I thought the price at the Delta was high considering we had no view at all.

2 Thank tracy45h
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2010

we had a quiet stay and good night sleep in our room facing the side street and we also had a mountain view! no balcony, but we didn't care! neat bathroom....it had TWO sinks and a sliding door between the toilet/shower/second sink, and the main sink area so that 2 people could use the bathroom at the same time!

the air conditioner was a bit noisy, but we turned it off at bed time so it wasn't an issue as the nights were generally cool anyway. firm, comfortable beds were a nice change of pace from the lump-fest or sag-fest you get in a lot of other hotels. the pool was small, but our daughter had a ton of fun in it, and i really enjoyed the hot tub, which was more than big enough. the room was larger than i thought it would be too!

we had breakfast each morning we were there....a bit pricey (every non fast food restaurant in Banff is pricey) but a good choice at the buffet. underground parking was nice, they even washed all the bugs off your windshield, though it was $12 per night. having friendly staff is always nice too. hope to stay there soon, this time longer!

2 Thank OilTastic
Ghent, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2010

This lodge was adequate but there has to be better for the money. The wifi in our suite did not work at all. We stayed for one week and found it necessary to go to lobby or Starbucks one mile away. The exercise room was the size of a closet the "pool" was about 8 meters or less. The pool was really for parents to play with kids in the water. When we checked in reception tried to hit us up for $12 + tax per night for parking. I complained and since we were "staying for a week" and I asked about street parking the charge was waived. When we went to room, a M&M peanut was on the side of the TV stand. The location was out of village. The lodge's bikes are free but weigh about 75 lbs, first stop to the service station for air, no pump at lodge. I must admit that our room was quiet, no other room sounds for the week long visit to Banff national park.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gordyk
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2010

We arrived at the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge. The hotel staff at the front desk were friendly and accommodating upon check-in and when we put the bags in the room, everything appeared OK. Appearances can be deceiving. We ran out for dinner. When we returned from dinner, it was late . We went right to bed. An hour or so later, there was a loud banging noise coming from the A/C-Heating unit (the hotel has the old-style individual units). The loud banging noise would occur when the unit kicked on and off. The three of us staying in the room were woken up numerous times during the night.

We were not only inconvenienced by the A/C problem, the staff ran us around in circles (including telling us there was no “Manager on Duty”. The first and the second “Managers” who eventually appeared (and who both had no knowledge of our problem) ran us around in circles and were downright rude and condescending. This was the real “Problem”.

Ironically, I chose the Delta hotel for it's name and reviews I had read and I went out of my way to stay at the delta hotel rather than having stayed elsewhere. I understand problems occur and am not unreasonable. The upsetting part was not the broken AC/Heating unit, it was the mishandling of the matter and the sarcasm and the intentional waste of my time.

I was eventually given the choice of staying in the original room with the banging A/C unit, staying in a room with 2 double beds facing the driveway of the hotel or being "upgraded" to a room with a king size bed (There were 3 of us, My Wife, me and my 8 year old son). I either had a choice to be in a loud room overlooking the driveway and street or having to sleep in a room 3 in a bed.

For the time, effort and aggravation we experienced, I received a voucher for breakfast and an "upgrade" to a room with three of us having to sleep in one bed.

The "upgraded" room was the same size room with a queen sized bed. It had the same old-style type of heating/ac unit. The unit was not quiet by anyone's imagination, but it wasnt as loud or banging like the one in the other room. The system is one you would expect to find in an old Howard Johnson's or quality inn, not a Delta hotel.

I posted a review on the site where I had booked the room . I am still simmering over having a day of my hard earned vacation ruined. I also cant imagine how a hotel chain can afford to be run this way at this particular point in time with the world economy suffering. Furthermore, I wrote to customer service with a complete explanation of what had occurred. Customer service of the hotel chain apparently didn’t even bother reading the email and forwarded the email to the “Manager” from the Banff location who “responded”.

The review I posted on the Hotel booking site where I booked probably will not be posted for another couple of days, but it is not the only negative post. There were two other consecutive recent negative posts by other guests . I wish the reviews had been posted before I had booked the room because I seriously would have considered staying elsewhere. If you decide to stay at this hotel, I hope you don’t have a problem because I have experienced Delta’s customer service first hand.

I would never stay at this specfic location or any Delta hotel in the future after this.

4 Thank Travellllbuff
McLaren Vale
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Stayed two nights recently. Whilst not the cheapest option in Banff (despite a great deal through Expedia) it provides a very good level of service and excellent rooms that are extremely comfortable, roomy, quiet and very clean!.
Pool is small but more than adequate. Well located - a reasonably short walk to town.
Staff great - helpful and friendly. Liked the little touches - free WiFi, free parking, windscreen cleaned daily by the parking guys, free newspaper.
Did not eat there but it seemed busy and restaurant menu looked very appealing.
First class, comfortable hotel. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leigh G
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Two nights in a suite to celebrate our anniversary. Were surprised with a card and champagne on ice when we arrive. Fantastic room! Corner room with two sets of windows overlooking Banff Avenue, 10 foot ceilings, well appointed, a substantial feel that was so much more than a hotel room. We had a terrific dinner in the dining room and received outstanding service.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple