“Beautiful scenery”

Fairmont Banff Springs
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I enjoyed my stay here. We had a room with a view of Bow valley and the scenery was amazing. The room itself was small, which I thought was the trade off for staying in a historic building. Nevertheless, we were comfortable as we did not spent much time in the room except to sleep. service was very good, as were the hotel restaurants. You do have to pay for self-parking, which is what we did as there seemed to be a long wait for valet parking. I recommend exploring the hotel and grounds. I would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the valley
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kat0425
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our restaurants and found the service to be good. We do hope you WILL return!

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Banff Springs

Reviewed 9 May 2012

The few nights at the Banff Springs were pleasant with one glaring exception. One evening a gala event took place in the hotel for the attendees of a conference and we learned rather late at night that our room was right on the path of the loud and sometimes hollering drunken party guests gradually returning to their room. Being kept up overnight is not usually a huge concern when on vacation however with the combination of rising early to catch the Lake Louise shuttle and snowboarding on a mountain several days in a row, getting a good sleep became more significant.
Overall, the service in terms of the staff would only get an so-so grade from me as I experienced both cases of disrespect and indifference. I won’t go into details in the interest of a short review.
The room was small but adequate with good housekeeping.
If you arrive early, there is an hour guided tour of the hotel every day but my party and I left the tour less than half way in as it seemed to be a little more show than substance.
The heated outdoor pool is great (though visually uninteresting and dated looking), unfortunately the hot tub is indoors unless you wish to spend the $50 for access to the spa area.
We only ate on site once which was at the Rundle lounge and the food was satisfying with a casual yet elegant atmosphere. Prices are inflated in the restaurants as expected but you can’t do much better in town.
The only thing somewhat disappointing about the building and the grounds is that the only balconies or outdoor terraces are on the ground and second level. A hotel of this size would certainly have the potential of offering stunning views from the upper floors and it is surprising that a hotel that does as much or more business in the summer would not have more outdoor viewing from its grounds.
For the price, I was expecting a little more overall which is why the Banff Springs hotel can only get an average rating from this reviewer.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Windy01

Thank you for your review and we are truly sorry to learn that your stay was not exceptional. We will reach out to you privately to further discuss as we do care about your experience and your future loyalty.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel while attending a conference at the same hotel. Upon arrival I was told my reservation was for the next night. The front desk staff was very unaccommodating and did nothing to assist me. I felt like I'd been tossed to the curve. Thank goodness for the concierge who found me a room at the Rimrock Hotel for the night. I then moved back to the Fairmont for the next three nights. I was upgraded to a beautiful large room. The service was excellent, room was comfortable, restaurants were great this hotel is situated in the most beautiful place in the world. Except for the front desk person in the first day, the staff of the Fairmont were fantastic. I highly recommend thing hotel. Just make sure you bring your confirmation with you.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JLP1989

Thank you for your review. We certainly care about your perception of your initial arrival and want to conduct a thorough follow up so we will reach out to you privately for more information. Thank you very much.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

The hotel is an icon in Canadian history. The surrounding is breath taking. Very thoughtful and friendly staffs. I particularly enjoyed the guided tour on the history and architecture. The only criticism is the price of food/beverage at the Pantry is on the high side; even by the standard of Banff.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mickey_victoria

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed the hotel tour and our rich history.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

The event we visited was very well organized an prepared. The food was outstanding, the service excellent and attentive. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. Our result: The hotel in this stunning surroundings is absolutely recommendable. We enjoyed our stay and for sure, will come back again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Witili
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to know that all aspects of your stay went well and you enjoyed your time spent here with us and the event you attended.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

As I stepped off my airport transport I was greeted by a member of staff who took my name and cases and told me that I would find them in my room. When I approached reception there was one couple being served at The Presidents Club check in so I started a queue behind them. There was no one at the normal check in so everyone started to queue behind me. After two minutes the receptionist arrived and called me forward. She apologised for the delay and took my name. I was informed that my room was ready, but I had been upgraded to a refurbished room with a view but this room would not be available for two hours. Iaccepted the upgrade option, handed over my hang luggage and went off to be a tourist. First stop was the concierge who excelled in customer service, as he ushered me behind the counter to look at a webcam of my first destination and he showed me the weather patterns currently some distance from my intended destination, The Banff Gondola and advised me there was still two hours to see the sights before the rains came. He was right. Upon my return to the hotel I found my room was available and upon entry found my luggage had been delivered safely. The room was spacious, bright and had a magnificent view of The Bow Valley. Although the bathroom was smaller than you would get in a modern luxury hotel, it did have a nice jacuzzi. Apart from the short staffing at the start, this hotel can take its place in the great hotels of the world and, whatever you do insist on a room with a view.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bangormaine

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. We appreciate your feedback and are so pleased that you enjoyed your room with a view, and had some free time to take in the sights from the Sulphur Mountain Gondola! We do apologize for the wait on your arrival, and are happy to hear that your stay overall was very memorable for you.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Went for a corporate retreat with families. Everything was perfect- lots of restaurants and activities in the hotel, many of us didn't have to leave the property.

The only complaint ( and one for all Fairmont properties) are the cribs. They are horrible, andRe basically not usable if you want your child to sleep.

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms are worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank R-and-L-3000

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to advise we have new cribs coming soon!

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Also consider these accommodations in or near Banff
Moose Hotel and Suites
Stoneridge Mountain Resort by CLIQUE
Banff Aspen Lodge
Banff Aspen Lodge
#8 of 33 in Banff

Been to Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!