“Good and bad”

Ranked #12 of 28 Banff B&B and Inns
Oakland, California
“Good and bad”
Reviewed 19 July 2009

I was disappointed, though it was partially due to my unrealistic expectations. Banff was to be our first layover day in a long driving vacation, and I was hoping to spend our rest day with a book, a cup of coffee in front of a picture enjoying the Canadian Rockies.

No such luck at the Blue Mountain Lodge. The building is small and cramped for a B&B, and the common area is not inviting. Our bedroom is the worst. It was the size of a large closet with room only for a double bed and a few feet on two sides of it to walk around. Absolutely no space to put our luggage or walk around. The bathroom was so small that my 5'9" 210 pound partner could not even move around comfortably in it.

I need to qualify this statement by mentioning that I peeked into some other rooms and they were slightly larger -- enough of a difference to feel comfortable hanging out in them.

The two female staff members were courteous, but I got the impression reported by a previous reviewer that the place existed to subsidize the owner's hiking habit, and we didn't get the wonderful hospitality we found everywhere else in Canada.

One point in its favor: close to town but in a quiet residential neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Rotterdam
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We have spent one of our last days in Canada in this B&B. Our experience with the B&B's in Canada is very good, but I wouldn't recommend this B&B
to anybody. Banff is pricey, this B&B is really overpriced.
The room was small, we knew and we didn't mind, but the bathroom was so small, you can't even call it a bathroom.It was a closet with a shower and a toilet inside.
The interior of the closet was made of lathed walls, so imagine the smell of wet wood...
:-(

We booked room nr. 10 and that room appeared to be the only room on the first floor. Next to the front door, the guest kitchen, the breakfast room, the hallway and the stairs. Nobody, including the hosts, took into account that there was a room on this floor. As soon as guests start to prepare for breakfast, which starts at 7.30, it was impossible to sleep. Talking about breakfast. It was poor. Everything was there, but it was old. Old bread, old cereals..

The 2 ladies working their were very friendly, but the owner wasn't. He talked only about himself and all the fantastic hikes he made and was planning to make. He gave us the impression our over-priced room was paying for his " I want to climb all mountains in Banff in 6 to 10 year" - plan. If your hosting a B&B, at least pretend to be interested in your guests!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
BlueMountainLodge_8, Owner at Blue Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 11 July 2009
Dear guests,
I was really surprised reading this comment. During your 2 night stay, you never gave us any indication that you were unhappy with the bathroom. We could have moved you to another room with a much bigger bathroom. The rate you paid was $119 +taxes, which is actually very reasonable for the town of Banff.

I must disagree with your statement about old bread and old cereals. We adhere to strict rules, and throw out all breads at the expiry or “best before” date. Should we have by mistake served bread which was past the date, we sincerely apologize, and regret that nobody brought this to our attention. We bake fresh croissants, cookies and serve homemade muffins every day. Made with 100% natural ingredients, our baked goods are different from the ones bought at the supermarkets.

Our cereals are fresh and our muesli is mixed by ourselves. We have 3 hygienic cereal towers which are filled through the top and the cereals come out at the bottom. Usually, we refill them every second day as our cereals are very popular, and they don’t have time to get old.

Yes, I live here because I have a real passion for mountains and I like to share this passion with our guests. I can give you first hand valuable information to plan your trip, to discover the most beautiful spots of the Canadian Rockies (many off the beaten path) and to make most of your limited time here. Should I have annoyed you with my suggestions, advice or stories about the National Park, then I am deeply sorry and I hope that next time people will tell me to shut up.
Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 June 2009

This is a very nice place to stay: first of all, the staff is always friendly and helpful. They help you planning hikes etc. The rooms are clean and, most of all, very cozy.

Very nice place indeed!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
MB
Reviewed 23 May 2009

Reasonably priced b&b, very good breakfasts, room a bit small, but attractive, clean and comfortable. Friendly hosts.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed 6 May 2009

We stayed 2 weeks, and really loved this B&B. Location is perfect, very close to Banff Ave, yet room was quiet. The establishment was very clean - partly due to shoe removal at the front door, so bring slippers or thongs to wear inside. Our bathroom was cleaned and towels changed twice a week, and sheets changed once a week.
Breakfast was excellent - freshly baked croissants, boiled eggs, 3 different cereals (including home made muesli), porridge, yoghurt, fruit, muffins, and toast with spreads. It kept us going well into the afternoon. We cooked and ate most nights in the guest kitchen (which saved us a lot of money!). it was small but adequate - even when sharing with other travellers cooking at the same time. We had couple of memorable evenings there!
The B&B is about 100 years old, and purpose built as a boarding house for that time - so rooms and bathrooms were a bit squeezy - but I loved the charm and ambiance of the place because of this. High-speed internet was a bonus - we used it a lot.
Finally, I cannot praise the owner and staff enough for their helpfulness, flexibility and friendliness. Our visitors were made welcome, we were given lots of good practical local advice, a discount voucher for ski hire, and the owner lent us his snow shoes.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ben11Brisbane
Paris, France
Reviewed 3 May 2009

I stayed there 2 nights. I thought it was OK. The room was small but comfortable with a private bathroom. You have to leave your shoes in the lobby, so bring slippers (which I didn't have and they don't lend you any, so my feet were a little cold). The place is clean and there is a small kitchen where you can prepare a meal. The kitchen closes at 8 pm however. The breakfast buffet was good but if you come towards the end, there is not much left. The staff was friendly. There is no internet access if you don't have your own computer. Overall, I thought it was slightly overpriced but I guess that is the price for staying right in the heart of Banff and the national park.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank elo75
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 28 April 2009

On our first days in Banff, we stayed at the Blue Mountain Lodge.
The staff was friendly but not the owner.
As we were looking for a place to stay for a few months, the owner had also a 1-bedroom apartement for rent. We decided to take the apartement but we couldn't pay immediately the deposit. In meanwhile he rented out the place whithout saying anything.
The only thing he said afterwards was that he needed the money from the deposit.
He isn't trustable and he only wants your money!! Watch out!!
There are enough other good hotels, lodges and B & B in Banff to stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
BlueMountainLodge_8, Owner at Blue Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 18 May 2009
"The entire sentence should be: "I needed the money for the deposit".
They wanted to rent our private appartment but I never received the deposit, even after reminding them. I waited two weeks before renting the apartment to somebody else who paid the deposit immediately and we signed the lease contract.