“Perfect locale!”
Review of Homestead Inn

Homestead Inn
Ranked #22 of 28 Banff B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Homestead Inn twice, both in July and August. It was a one night pit stop both times. I couldn't have been happier with this location. It was two streets over from Banff Avenue so walking was a breeze (whether I was heading out to shop, eat, or grab coffee/tea). It is only a short drive to other Banff sites as well. I had a room with a queen bed and it was huge!!!

The staff was super friendly and helpful. Although I was on an upper floor with no elevator, staff helped me carry my bags when I asked. They also gave great recommendations for food.

Loved that I could go across the street to use the pool at the Banff Park Resort, which was open until midnight!!

Be aware that this hotel is located downtown, so night noise is imminent (ie. bar crowds or music). If this type of noise bothers you perhaps this - along with other downtown hotels - won't be for you.

There was no air conditioning, but that is typical of Banff. Closing the curtains during the day kept the sun out, then I opened my window at night...so no big deal.

Only complaint was that during my July stay the coffee pot appeared to be only rinsed, not fully washed. I notified staff and they apologized. This was not a problem in August.

If you want to be able to explore Banff easily on foot this is the place for you!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Migimon

Reviewed 3 September 2012

The hotel is fine, we were on a 2 day stopover on a Rockies tour. Staff were friendly , could use facilities at sister hotel, but best of all was the location. Short walk to all the restaurants, bars , shops and attractions of Banff.You could pay more and find better hotels, but not necessary.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank george g
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed here two nights with our dog. Great location, close to Banff ave which allowed us to walk to everything in Banff. No pool at the homestead, but residents are able to use the pool at the Banff Park Lodge. Wi-fi is $5 for the stay. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 0d_m_b0
Jim M, Manager at Homestead Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for your review.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.

Regards,

Jim MIlley

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Our family just returned from Banff, where we stayed 3 nights at the Homestead Inn. It was the least expensive place we could find, so we weren't expecting much. We were pleasantly surprised, however, to find that the rooms are clean, the beds comfortable enough, and the service was excellent. Like others have said, Peter at the front desk is very knowledgable about the Banff area and was very helpful to us as we were planning our daily activities, and the other staff members were very friendly and helpful as well. The best part of the stay was being in such a good location. We enjoyed being able to use the pool, jacuzzi and steam room at the sister property across the street, and being within easy walking distance to all the stores and restaurants in town made the location perfect. Banff is a very busy town with a lot of street noise even late into the night, but we gladly put up with that in order to be in the center of town. If we ever go back to Banff, we'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrea P
Jim M, Manager at Homestead Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2012

Thank you very much for staying at the Homestead Inn and for your kind words regarding our hotel and staff.

We are very glad that enjoyed your stay and that we seem to have exceeded your expectations which is always our goal.

We hope to see you back again in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Customer Service is fantastic! The manager was very informative, lots of knowledge of the local area hikes and tourist attractions. Rooms are basic, a little older, but clean. Room has a private bathroom, 2 beds, TV, Coffee Maker, Fridge & Desk. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor, much quiter
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin S

Thank you for writing such a nice review.

Customer service is indeed our number one priority and it is nice to hear that we are doing it right.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Older hotel, Very clean and nice decor for its age. Rooms are standard, but clean and well maintained. Staff was awesome, Very friendly, helpful, and concise. For the price, best deal in Banff. Walking distance to everything in town, full use of pool facilities across the street, and just an all around good place. Staff insured we were happy with our stay before we left and I will be returning to the Homestead the next time I'm in Banff.

Room Tip: First Floor as there is no elevator
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank heather r
Jim M, Manager at Homestead Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thank you for staying at the Homestead Inn and for taking the time to post such a nice review.

Your comments regarding the staff are very much appreciated and you are definitely on the mark with our value.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We live in calgary and regulary make the drive up to Banff. We always stay here in the homestead. To us its one of the better places to stay while in Banff and seem to always get a decent room when staying here. The rooms are very clean and spacious,with 2 queen beds, coffee making machine and good tv.
What I didnt like was they now only allow you to check in after 4pm and checkout is 11am. I think this is way too late, your left sitting around waiting to check into the hotel. It was never this late before, plus they charge for the wireless internet. Now for charging from a saturday night stay for $170+ for a room I think the least they can do is give you free wifi.. We stayed on a sunday and got our rooms for $120 x 2, and no discount for taking 2 rooms. But we did get a voucher for 2 for 1 breakfast, and in the end got the free wifi. It did break down a few times, so you might want to consider this if your travelling on business. Their fee for wifi is $5 a night!.
The new owners of this hotel are being pure greedy now as they know they can charge for it.
A bad name travels quicker than a good name... They need to rememeber this..
I might start looking elsewhere now in Banff, as I said we always stay her but I feel its time to move on and try other hotels who apprectiate returning customers..

I will say though the staff on the front desk Peter was his name, he was very helpful and very good at his job. It was great to see this kind of service, maybe the owners should sit beside him and take lessons from him...
But this time I was left disappointed by our stay.

Room Tip: It is an old hotel and you do hear noises from others staying. But by no means is it a party hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jonathanrowe80
Jim M, Manager at Homestead Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

We are glad that you like the property, the rooms and the friendly service you received from Piotr and no doubt others before him. We are glad that you choose to stay at the Homestead when in Banff and appreciate that there are many other choices out there.

I was very disappointed to read that there were certain things you were unhappy with during your last visit. I would like to address a few of those concerns here but would also like the opportunity to talk to you directly about your issues.

•Our check in and out time of 4pm and 11am is standard for most hotels but by no means is it set in stone. If we are aware that you will be arriving early we will always endeavour to have your room ready for your arrival. There are sometimes obstacles that prevent us from guaranteeing this but in the future, please let us know when you are making the booking that you would like an early check in and we will always do our best to make this happen.

•I appreciate your concerns about the Hotel being under new ownership, however, I am happy to say that in the three years since the Homestead has been under new ownership and management we have made a number of improvements, including a new lobby area, new paint and linens in the rooms and complimentary use of the new pool, hot tub, plunge pool, eucalyptus steam room and exercise equipment across the street at the 4 star Banff Park Lodge. The new ownership has also given us the ability to offer specials that include breakfast or other meals in one of our two restaurants located at the Banff Park Lodge.

We really do appreciate our repeat guests and I hope that you will indeed choose to stay at the Homestead again the next time you are in Banff.

As stated earlier I would love the opportunity to discuss your issues directly with you so please feel free to contact me at the Banff Park Lodge any time.