“Could be very good!”

Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Could be very good!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

My family and I arrived in Banff and found the Caribou Lodge and Spa and were checked in efficiently. We went up to our room and immediately found that it was not air conditioned, but had a fan. We went out to dinner and when we returned, I tried the fan. It was unidirectional and I thought we would need another fan as there were four of us in the room and it was a fairly warm evening. I called down to reception and the man on duty said that he would sort it out quickly. 45 minutes later, I called reception again and again the same man said that he would sort it our quickly - I told him that that's what he said last time. 45 minutes later, another fan still hadn't arrived. My husband by now was getting upset at he and the kids were going whitewater rafting and had to leave very early. I needed to keep cool for medical reasons, so I decided to go down to reception to see if they were very busy. When I got down there, there was one person talking to one of the receptionists and two were talking to each other. Well, I was very angry when I saw this but kept my cool. I asked to speak to the manager and one of the ladies said she was the supervisor on duty. I told her that I had been kept waiting for 1 1/2 hours for a fan and that it was now late and we had an early start. She said she would get onto it immediately and to her credit, we received the fan in 15 minutes. We had a decent night's sleep and when the kids and my husband left, I went downstairs I asked to speak to the manager to thank them for the second fan. The supervisor was happy that it was finally resolved and apologized profusely for the time it took to get it to our room.. I told her that the hotel was lovely as was the room we had and that in the 21st century (traveled extensively) that it was unusual for the hotel to not have some kind of air conditioning since Dyson had the heater/cooler fan. The General Manager over heard us talking and said that they had air conditioning units available for people who would benefit due to medical conditions and that she will have it set up. I thanked her for that - she also offered us a breakfast voucher for the Keg restaurant (delicious breakfast and lunch!!) on site. I thanked her for that. When we came back in the late afternoon, the room was cool and there was a card from the management apologizing again. It included the breakfast voucher and also a delicious bottle of Argentinian red wine with two wine glasses! A very nice touch. I would recommend this hotel as the facilities (gym, hot tub and steam room) were good and the management did their utmost to make amends for the long delay of the second fan!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cecilia C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Korean first
Stock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Our superior room was rather dark, the rooms seem to be long and narrow with quite small windows. We had requested mountain view but they did not acknowledge this and initially gave us a road facing room which was quite noisy. Complained and were moved to side room which was a bit quieter. Hotel has a lovely lobby with open fires but you are not allowed to take a drink out of the bar to sit by the fire. restaurant food quite good but rather pricey. About 10 - 15 minutes from downtown Banff. Hotel was Ok but would probably look elsewghere next time

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BADGEREssex_UK
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed here on the first night of our trip - the entrance to the hotel is very welcoming and has a good feel about it. The reception staff were very attentive and had time to interact with us, providing very good information on the surrounding area and how to access it - good first impression is very important to me!!
We did not eat in the hotel as we sightseeing and then ate downtown. We used the free bus to go downtown.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sanfran
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights before boarding the Rocky Mountaineer Railway. The hotel is situated just outside the town centre. About a 15 minute slow walk. There is a regular bus service with a stop very near the hotel. The hotel has a small but well appointed pool, sauna and fitness centre. Our room was opposite the spa that was used early in the morning and late at night, so pick a room in another part of the hotel. There was a Keg chain restaurant in the hotel. This was top class. Breakfast at $16 was superb value and quality. A vast range of juices, fruit, yoghurts, grenola, full cooked breakfast including eggs Benedict. The evening meals had a good range of steaks and fish cooked to an excellent standard. The staff were very helpful and efficient.

Room Tip: As far from the Spa as possible.
1 Thank Steve M
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

we stayed here last week on way to jasper. its a couple blocks to downtown banff. the hotel itself is nice, hot tube is very nice. we paid $250 for one nite which seemed like a lot but banff is not a cheap place

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jojabo
Lymm, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

easy check in, nice clean hotel, bit of a walk downtown. friendly easy check in. there was no noise and the staff were helpful .

we did not use the Restaurant due to the availability of restaurants down town.

Begin forwarded message:

Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed 4 nights here in a Superior Room before travelling on to Vancouver. From the moment we stepped through the door, we felt at home. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, the room was clean and well equipped and the food in the restaurant very good.
It is about a 10 minute walk into the town but that suited us fine and meant we were in a much more pleasant environment than the centre of the busy town. With the underground parking it made access very convenient.
There is a lot of wood (rather like a ski lodge) so the rooms are a bit dark but once you put on the lights it was fine and the bed was large and comfortable. Breakfast buffet was plentiful and replenished frequently plus there was an a la carte if you were really hungry. Rooms had sofa, table & chairs, kettle, fridge, iron, hairdryer so everything you would need.
The towels in the bathroom could have been thicker but were perfectly adequate and clean. The only thing I didn't like was I had planned to get laundry done here. There were laundry facilities but they were very 'worn' and I didn't fancy using them. However, the hotel does offer a laundry service.
I would definitely stay here again - just need to save up to get there.

1 Thank BJBear054