The YWCA Banff Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewscommon kitchenbunk bedsdorm roomkitchen facilitiesbasic hotellocation is greatroom was clean and comfortablebow fallsbanff avenuetownensuitelaundrystoragemountainscanadatrail
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I was very impressed with the cost. I found the place very clean, wholly welcoming, and I got to meet a bunch of people from all over the world. The food was good and served up by friendly employees whom I got to know pretty well. I took the room with a private bathroom and the place was just as neat and tidy as a regular hotel. The only difference was the size of the room but I've never needed much space when I travel alone. The one and only minor itch I couldn't easily scratch was the issues I had with the wi-fi, but since I was in Banff and all its amenities I didn't care one whit. The employees all seemed to take extra care when I was in need of information or even places to consider checking out. I give the Y Mountain Lodge two thumbs up. And I should mention that it is my opinion that all the people with the negatives are simply used to living in a bit more luxury, or more likely, expected it to be a regular Banff hotel. They're to be pitied. But in summary, if you have reasonable expectations and would like to stay in a cost-effective quaint clean friendly atmosphere in a great location in Banff, this is the place.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank ToddMiki
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed three nights and really appreciated the place. First, there was n o TV in our room - who would come to Banf to watch TV ?!? The view from our room was just perfect. The place is very close to the town center. Both tourists (as us) and seasonal workers mix up in the buiding. The kitchen is large enough for everyone to cook - not just throwing noodles into a microwave. Staff was friendly. The reason why we came to Banff was the price ($100 for two nights, including a light breakfast), have a look at their website to find out about specials.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The Y is trying hard to extend its customer range...free Wi-Fi, free continental breakfast for private room occupants, an excellent team of friendly attentive staff, a great location and all for a good charitable cause.
However, to bring greater success to the cause they need to look hard at the facts.
Our "double" room was tiny. Small bed only made up once during our 5 day stay. No TV, no fridge, one broken chair between us, a broken blind which couldn't do it's job even if it was repaired and woefully inadequate lighting.
Worst of all was the communal kitchen in the basement. It was filthy, with open waste bins, no separate hand washing facilities and a dire need of a regular deep cleaning program, supervision of Lon and short term guests standards of hygiene.

We stayed at the Y in Vancouver about 3 weeks earlier and were impressed by the high standards achieved there. Perhaps someone in a position of authority at the Banff Y could take a hard look at both operations and make the necessary changes for the long term benefit of the worthy cause.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

No TV in the rooms....was an old hospital and there are parts that still seem like it......our room had a couple of light switches.....but they were outside the door. Location is excellent, as is the price! Really easy to walk to the downtown and many hiking trails.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My husband and I were having a hard time finding anything in Banff that was under $200. When we located this one for considerably less, I guess we should have been a little more skeptical. It was late in the day, however, and we were tired. It reminded me of a very large hostel. There were chairs, beds yet to be put together, and many other assorted items stacked in the hallways. I'll have to say the room was not that bad. It was large (and well worn) but was pretty clean and had the necessities. That is, except air conditioning. I'm pretty sure the temp in the room never dropped under 80 degrees the entire night. Admittedly, it is unseasonably warm this fall, but the place is definitely geared to the younger crowd, who probably wouldn't even mind the heat. I guess my main complaint is that is was not properly described for what it really is. We should have read a few more of the reviews!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple