All reviewslloyd hallprofessional developmentthree ravensmaclab bistrogreat conferenceworld class facilityconference facilitiesconference venueattended a conferencefitness facilityfilm festivaltunnel mountainexcellent facilitiesno air conditioningclose to downtownmain buildingspectacular views
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Just returned from a stay at Lloyd Hall at the Banff Conference Centre in Alberta. Lloyd Hall has its original decor from way back when and many of its rooms back onto a loading dock with trucks arriving to unload their goods starting at 6:30am every day. Beep, beep, beep is not how I had anticipated waking up in the mountains! Unless you are a conference delegate, good luck trying to eat at one of the restaurants. Spouses are not accommodated. I stayed here with my husband for seven days and not once could I get a seat at Vista, before or after attendees. Breakfast also wraps up before 10am on Saturdays. Grocery shop before you come up the mountain! The rooms have old but comfy beds and pillows, older tvs and mini refrigerators, and a table and chairs. Each room has its own thermostat and a sliding patio door. Towels are on short supply in the bathrooms but extras will come upon request. There is also a coffee/tea maker in the room. Housekeeping starts knocking on doors between 8-9am as well. Overall, the accommodations are old and worn but still functioning. It reminded me of a hostel actually.
I have stayed at the BCC before but have always stayed at the main conference centre building and the accommodation is much better although I would obviously have had the same meal issues while staying there this past week.

Room Tip: Bring your own food if you are not attending a conference as they may not have room for you in the main restaurants. Stay in the main conference hall. Parking may be an issue if there are many conferences being hosted at the same time.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you very much for the review of your recent stay at The Banff Centre. We appreciate your specific feedback! I am pleased to say that we are in the midst of a major refurbishment of public spaces in Lloyd Hall. I look forward to your return to the Rocky Mountains

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The first time I stayed at the Banff Centre was in 1999. I was attending a conference, and every attendees liked it so much that the annual North America conference came back in 2004 and this year 2013. The Centre is a beautiful campus with several buildings on a hill, and the view of the mountains is simply majestic. It is 10 minutes walk to downtown Banff. The Centre is really a school ("incubator") of arts and music (short-term workshops), so the accommodation is like an upscale and comfortable dormitory with own bathroom but dated furniture and TV (hence 4, not 5, stars). The room is spacious, however. I stayed in Lloyd Hall, which is slightly cheaper than the Professional Development Center. The rate is comparable to that of the Best Western in Banff. The Centre offers complimentary access to a large and up-to-date fitness center and swimming pool. I like the fact that the housekeeping does not change towels every day, unlike some hotels I stayed where towels were changed everyday even though the hotel had a "green" policy. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall, I had a wonderful experience, and I'll come back again.

Room Tip: Because the building (Lloyd Hall) is on a hill, the third floor is ground floor on one side of the building. A couple of rooms (e.g., 2350) is next to the sidewalk. Higher floor is, of course, better.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for sharing your comments regarding your latest stay at The Banff Centre. I look forward to meeting you when you return!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stay at the Banff Centre a few times each year on average with some of the time at BIRS, which is the Banff International Research Station (a building at the Banff Centre dedicated for supporting mathematics-related research workshops). The building is comfortable, quiet and pleasant. There is a social room with games, beer, snacks, etc and is a nice place to drop by to meet up with other residents looking for company.

The bathrooms are modern. The internet connection is good but can be quite slow especially in the evening. Instead of a television in each room, a rather antiquated SUN work station is provided. These workstations were useful a decade ago but I doubt anyone uses them now that laptops, ipads etc are so ubiquitous.

Three meals a day are included in the all-expense-paid workshops and the food is buffet-style in the nearby Borden building. The food is high quality, fresh and well presented, but for me the vegan options are not so good. Sometimes there is good vegan food and sometimes I am relying on steamed vegetables and salads only. However, the chefs will prepare a meal for me if I say I can't find anything good for vegans and they are friendly about doing so. A few years ago food was properly labelled but the labelling is less comprehensive now.

Parking on site is free and easy to find. A short walk from BIRS down the hill and into town makes the location quite convenient plus it is also easy to walk up Tunnel mountain for a view. The location is within Banff National Park, which is one of the most beautiful, scenic and adventurous places in the world.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Barry, thank you again for taking the time to "post" detailed comments about your time spent at The Banff Centre. I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I have travelled to Banff several times but had never heard or stayed at the Center before. It was a little challenging to figure out where to go for check in, but once we found it, it was an easy check in. The place was very busy...I believe they had a convention there at the time. Kate-the lady who checked us in was very helpful and polite despite her seeming overwhelmed with the amount of people. Great job Kate! We stayed in Lloyd Hall which was nothing like we were expecting. Very much a dorm room style building. The room was surprising nice compared to the outdated hallways. It was very noisy, but we believe that was because of the convention going on. Lots of young kids.
The views and location of this place are fantastic. We are thinking about maybe having this place used for upcoming conferences we might have. Great distance to town and the path is lit the whole evening. The graveyard ads character to your walk.
We would stay here again for our next visit to Banff.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I recently spent five nights in the Centre as a guest of one of the artists that share the grounds with the conference guests. I was staying in a new building and had a lovely room with a view of mountains and forest. The food was amazing and there is a choice of three places to eat ( big dinning room, smaller cafe and wine bar). The amenities like the pool and gym are first rate. It's a lovely place in a beautiful setting - only a few minutes from Banff but secluded from the hussle and bustle at the same time. I'd love to stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo