“what a treat”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Banff
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here while attending a national conference recently. The location was simply superb. It had been over 20 years since my last visit. The amenities were very good, the room large and well appointed. The views were magnificent with deer, elk on the grounds. This was an oasis, a welcome reprieve from the hectic schedule of the conference. The restaurant and lounge were spacious, bright and staffed by friendly, attentive staff. Well done!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

It was "a treat" to read the review of your recent stay at The Banff Centre! I have shared it with our management and staff. I hope you return before another 20 years pass.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed here for a conference and enjoyed the surroundings, convenience and service. On the plus side, we found the staff extremely helpful. In fact, we had one staff go out of his way to show us around and assist us with check in. The food was great and the conference buildings were excellent. The location cannot be beat. We were close to town (10 minute walk) and the views were spectacular. A deer munched on bushes outside our balcony and an elk sauntered across a walking path we were on. Beautiful! On the minus side: our first night was awful. Our room was ancient without a bathroom fan, without a balcony, without air conditioning and only a tiny window to open. The tv was small and the remote didn't work. Well I could have survived but the fact that we were next to the elevator without a sound barrier and across from a ping pong room that was used until after midnight, very little sleep was going on. We complained to reception the next day and although the place was packed, they found us a much better room. All was well after the switch although dated. Overall I would stay here again if I were to attend another conference. If visiting for pleasure I would try a hotel in town.

Room Tip: Ask for the north wing away from elevators and request a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the "gifts of gold" in your post. I appreciated your detailed and helpful comments. I am delighted that our staff responded well to your issues! I hope to meet you when you next visit. Meanwhile, I am sharing your comments with our management and staff.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The room type (superior king) we booked was not available ... Or the website was wrong .... Or the wording was wrong.... Or it wasn't available on that conference .... Or there weren't any of that type .... Or you were booked into two rooms.... Or you were under two separate names ... Pick an explanation ! This was our greeting ! After expressing my dismay at the poor welcome ... We were shown by a very nice young staff member to a room .... The type we had booked (which didnt exist ? ) apparently someone else was moved out. Entering i noticed a red smear on the lounge ..(wine ? Blood). I rang and told the nice nice young man.... So we were not going to be blamed ... It came off when i wiped it with a rag - the level of cleanliness was somewhat at this level the whole time - Like a unversity hall. It appears that the mistake was to be acknowledged because we were also offered a bottle of wine because of the inconvenience ! After this we had a pleasant enough stay. The checkout was without problem but the level of communication, misrepresentation was very unpleasant and distressing. The attempts to avoid recognising there was a problem .... Pretty awful ., not a high standard of customer service. We were both upset and felt disrespected even after the repair attempt!

Room Tip: How could you know .... No airconditioning though with fans and windows and door open it was accepta...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2014

What an amazing place. This is a flagship artists retreat in North America. (Ah, US., why can't you respect and support the arts as much as our Canadian neighbors?). Theater, dance, visual artists, jazz musicians: all living, studying, eating and performing together in these great facilities. You stay in upscale dorms (no frills but just fine) and eat in your choice of dining areas by using a card with money on it. I loved seeing the jazz students performing at night at the onsite jazz club.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Banff Center is a beautiful setting and it is obviously popular for conferences. However, despite the other reviews I found the hotel and service a disappointment. Reception while definitely polite simply was not informative. I asked some questions the first day and they gave me an answer, but it was not clear -- I did not understand why I was being charged so much for meal packages but there seemed to be so little. The meal package I had with the conference was forced on me with my conference enrollment. Other than a few conference snacks I did not take advantage of the package. Why, well mainly because I was busy over lunch preparing for my presentation. Dinner which I would have taken advantage of, was not included, and the package added on 100 to the bill daily. The parking is outside of the hotel in a down the hill lot which is fine, but on the second day when other conferences were in full swing, it was difficult because if you left your spot there may not be a spot for you when you came back. The hotel is about 2 km from town so you can walk, but you had better be in shape. Fitness area is lovely, but it is outside in another building and it was raining, so be prepared. The walls of the rooms are thin so you an hear people sneeze in the next room.

The wifi is excellent and does connect very well. I was on the road side so it was also noisy from the cars or someone starting up their vehicle in the morning and playing loud music. Not the hotels fault but annoying

Beds are good, but the pillows are pretty soft.

So...I think that it is good, but it has a dorm like feel to it, and the price is high, but for Banff maybe not so bad. If you do not have a car it is not easy to get around, but if you are fit and able its ok.

I think the overall service and information could be better, and it may be that my experience is with newer or younger staff......but it was odd.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road side are quite quiet ..or so I was told. Just make sure you are clear on a...
1  Thank lyone1955
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. In particular I appreciate the detail you have included which I have shared with our management team.
Jim Olver

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is my second time at this centre for work related activities, an overnight retreat.
Service- Exceptional! Every staff person I encountered was friendly, courteous and overall a delight!
Room- I was in the reception/arrivals building my room was beautiful, comfortable, clean with an incredible view.
Food- the best part of this centre! Every meal is amazing, so many options, including vegan/vegetarian/gluten free. Everything I tried was so tasty!
Board rooms/retreat service- so comfortable, snacks and coffee all day long with fast service. You never went without anything you could possible need. WiFi was so speedy!
If you are looking for a space surrounded by the most beautiful scenery, quiet and tranquil this is the place for you!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Roseline, thank you very much for your detailed post! I look forward to your next visit to The Banff Centre. Please let me know when you are coming so that I can be sure to meet you!
Warm regards JimOlver

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I recently had the pleasure to stay at this property during a conference towards the end of April 2014. I travel a lot for work and can tell you this was by far one of the best properties I've stayed at during my travels for the following reasons:

1) WIFI IS AWESOME - you can connect for free throughout most of the property without the hassle of finding a password or having to pay for anything. I traveled here from the states, so you can imagine my relief when I found out I had access to wifi from almost anywhere on the property - huge savings to my international phone bill!

2) Gym - they have a full gym onsite and for anyone that works out 6+ days/week like me, trust me when I say this, hands down one of the best hotel gyms I've been to.

3) Staff - everyone was extremely nice and welcoming from the front desk staff to the food servers and bartenders. Even Jim Olver (Director of Customer Services) was around the entire conference introducing himself and making sure everyone was having an excellent time. It's pretty standard to be reactive when you're in charge of customer services and a whole different level when you're proactively introducing yourself, making guests feel comfortable and very welcome like Jim did the entire time.

4) Location - It's beautiful. If you can't tell from the pictures, go there and experience it for yourself.

Hope this is helpful for anyone traveling to the area!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Rob, thanks for your Post: WIFI, Gym, Staff Location! Thanks for your ongoing support and I look forward to your next visit to The Banff Centre. Best Wishes
Jim Olver