All reviews lloyd hall professional development three ravens maclab bistro beautiful campus world class facility conference facilities great conference conference venue wonderful facility attended a conference fitness facility tunnel mountain guest rooms amazing location excellent stay no air conditioning
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here while attending a national conference recently. The location was simply superb. It had been over 20 years since my last visit. The amenities were very good, the room large and well appointed. The views were magnificent with deer, elk on the grounds. This was an oasis, a welcome reprieve from the hectic schedule of the conference. The restaurant and lounge were spacious, bright and staffed by friendly, attentive staff. Well done!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

It was "a treat" to read the review of your recent stay at The Banff Centre! I have shared it with our management and staff. I hope you return before another 20 years pass.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed here for a conference and enjoyed the surroundings, convenience and service. On the plus side, we found the staff extremely helpful. In fact, we had one staff go out of his way to show us around and assist us with check in. The food was great and the conference buildings were excellent. The location cannot be beat. We were close to town (10 minute walk) and the views were spectacular. A deer munched on bushes outside our balcony and an elk sauntered across a walking path we were on. Beautiful! On the minus side: our first night was awful. Our room was ancient without a bathroom fan, without a balcony, without air conditioning and only a tiny window to open. The tv was small and the remote didn't work. Well I could have survived but the fact that we were next to the elevator without a sound barrier and across from a ping pong room that was used until after midnight, very little sleep was going on. We complained to reception the next day and although the place was packed, they found us a much better room. All was well after the switch although dated. Overall I would stay here again if I were to attend another conference. If visiting for pleasure I would try a hotel in town.

Room tip: Ask for the north wing away from elevators and request a balcony.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you for the "gifts of gold" in your post. I appreciated your detailed and helpful comments. I am delighted that our staff responded well to your issues! I hope to meet you when you next visit. Meanwhile, I am sharing your comments with our management and staff.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The room type (superior king) we booked was not available ... Or the website was wrong .... Or the wording was wrong.... Or it wasn't available on that conference .... Or there weren't any of that type .... Or you were booked into two rooms.... Or you were under two separate names ... Pick an explanation ! This was our greeting ! After expressing my dismay at the poor welcome ... We were shown by a very nice young staff member to a room .... The type we had booked (which didnt exist ? ) apparently someone else was moved out. Entering i noticed a red smear on the lounge ..(wine ? Blood). I rang and told the nice nice young man.... So we were not going to be blamed ... It came off when i wiped it with a rag - the level of cleanliness was somewhat at this level the whole time - Like a unversity hall. It appears that the mistake was to be acknowledged because we were also offered a bottle of wine because of the inconvenience ! After this we had a pleasant enough stay. The checkout was without problem but the level of communication, misrepresentation was very unpleasant and distressing. The attempts to avoid recognising there was a problem .... Pretty awful ., not a high standard of customer service. We were both upset and felt disrespected even after the repair attempt!

Room tip: How could you know .... No airconditioning though with fans and windows and door open it was acceptable. Noisy with trucks, trains and people around. Basic facilities in the room. A long walk to the very pleasant village. Laundry was easy to use. Fridge and coffee machine was good.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2014

What an amazing place. This is a flagship artists retreat in North America. (Ah, US., why can't you respect and support the arts as much as our Canadian neighbors?). Theater, dance, visual artists, jazz musicians: all living, studying, eating and performing together in these great facilities. You stay in upscale dorms (no frills but just fine) and eat in your choice of dining areas by using a card with money on it. I loved seeing the jazz students performing at night at the onsite jazz club.

Date of stay: May 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Banff Center is a beautiful setting and it is obviously popular for conferences. However, despite the other reviews I found the hotel and service a disappointment. Reception while definitely polite simply was not informative. I asked some questions the first day and they gave me an answer, but it was not clear -- I did not understand why I was being charged so much for meal packages but there seemed to be so little. The meal package I had with the conference was forced on me with my conference enrollment. Other than a few conference snacks I did not take advantage of the package. Why, well mainly because I was busy over lunch preparing for my presentation. Dinner which I would have taken advantage of, was not included, and the package added on 100 to the bill daily. The parking is outside of the hotel in a down the hill lot which is fine, but on the second day when other conferences were in full swing, it was difficult because if you left your spot there may not be a spot for you when you came back. The hotel is about 2 km from town so you can walk, but you had better be in shape. Fitness area is lovely, but it is outside in another building and it was raining, so be prepared. The walls of the rooms are thin so you an hear people sneeze in the next room.

The wifi is excellent and does connect very well. I was on the road side so it was also noisy from the cars or someone starting up their vehicle in the morning and playing loud music. Not the hotels fault but annoying

Beds are good, but the pillows are pretty soft.

So...I think that it is good, but it has a dorm like feel to it, and the price is high, but for Banff maybe not so bad. If you do not have a car it is not easy to get around, but if you are fit and able its ok.

I think the overall service and information could be better, and it may be that my experience is with newer or younger staff......but it was odd.

Room tip: Rooms away from the road side are quite quiet ..or so I was told. Just make sure you are clear on any meal plans you purchased and keep asking. If you are not driving prepare to walk so to town or enjoy the facilties at the hotel and meditate. The dinner prices are quite high...but so is town. If you are driving the Safeway in town is the best place for reasonably priced anything, but I think its the only major food store so it is extremely busy. There is no air conditioning but they do have fans...I think the rooms could get exc
Date of stay: May 2014
1  Thank lyone1955
JimOlver, Guest Relations Manager at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. In particular I appreciate the detail you have included which I have shared with our management team.
Jim Olver