“Not great”

Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Kelowna, Canada
“Not great”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed at the Rundlestone Lodge with friends that had come from Pennsylvania to see some of western Canada on our recommendation. We were told that floors 1 and 2 had been renovated so we made sure we were booked in floor 2. Our friends had reserved months ago and asked for a mountain view. The renovated room had a large water stain on the ceiling from a leak above, the "new" bed creaked like it was going to fall apart. The A/C would wake the dead and the new wallpaper was hung over patches that were not sanded. The mountain view room had no view. No offence to Super 8 but it was a Super 8 room at a Hilton price($278) with taxes.
The hotel bar was alright and reasonably priced. The breakfast buffet was average at best.
Overall it was very disappointing and not a good representation for our US visitors to take home.

Room Tip: Floors 1 and 2 have apparently been renovated. There are inside and outside rooms. Some inside have...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
RundlestoneFOM, Front Office Manager at Rundlestone Lodge, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback and we are very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations.

We have replaced the ceiling tile in the room and have also investigated the condition of the bed and the noise from the air conditioning unit. As one of the very few hotels in Banff with air conditioning in the rooms we do hope yours was at least a comfortable temperature during your stay.

Regarding the request for a mountain view I am sorry we were unable to provide one on this occasion. As we usually explain when taking telephone reservations mountain views cannot be guaranteed with our standard rooms, and with so many visitors understandably requesting views, unfortunately we cannot meet all requests. Many of our luxury suites do guarantee mountain views, however, and so we would recommend considering one of these if a view of the Rocky Mountains is a must for any guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Korean first
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is what you would call a true time tested review. We were in Banff for a birthday July/2/2014.
Our family has literally been coming to this hotel since they opened the doors. Stayed in room 412 and everything was perfect as usual. They just know how to get reservations right, this is so important if your travelling with the family. One of the reasons we come to Banff is for Alberta Beef. Bumpers is the Banff specialists for prime rib. Been coming into Banff since 1977 for dinner at Bumpers. You can imagine our surprise and delight finding Bumpers has moved into Rundlestone Lodge. Two of our favorite things Rundlestone Lodge and Bumper's Beef House together . Winning x 2

Room Tip: Be specific about ages in your group if not asked. when travelling with the family. If your kid is...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Banff can be tricky with hotels, but this is a sure bet. Didn't get a chance to use the pool but it looks nice. A little bit of a walk to downtown Banff. Nice modern room. No complaints. Staff accommodated an early check in for us. Would staff here again. Good tip is that they will match discounts from third parties. Just give them a call.

Stayed July 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2014

July 09m 2014, after 8 long hot hours in the saddle, I was ready for some relief and relaxation. Motorcycle riding wears a rider out, especially in the 30 C. heat. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Rundlestone so welcoming. There was underground secure parking as well. Attached to the hotel is the Bumpers Beef House restaurant (see my review). Just a block away is a Keg & Cleaver if you want beef. The hotel is on the quiet end of the main street and only a few minutes walk form all the tourist action, no need to take the car/motorcycle out once it is parked for the night.

Staff at the front desk were professional and efficient booking me in. The room was facing the street/mountains with soaring 11 foot ceilings, and equally large windows rising from the floor to ceiling peaking at the top of the "A" frame (3rd. floor room). I tried to book directly with the hotel but no rooms were available other than the Bridal Suite, which somehow, didn't seem right for me. I booked on line with one of the hotel.com services and was surprised to find a $375/night room going for $199. I grabbed it and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Yes, I would stay again...

Room Tip: Face the front as the street scene is very quiet, and go for the third floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has everything. Good rooms, comfortable beds, good views, swimming pool and hot tub, good restaurant, very friendly and helpful staff and only a 10 minute walk from Banff downtown. All facilities that you may need in the room are there. Free wi fi with good reception. If in Banff and need a good hotel then this is the one. Well worth the money.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This lodge has the most amazing views from a spacious balcony. The staff are very friendly, there was free underground parking, and the lodge (it's a very nice hotel, really - I had visions of a basic log cabin with a term like "lodge", but it's nothing like that!) is within easy walking distance of central Banff.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a front view - the road isn't very busy, but the mountain views are spectacula...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisSouthville
southern california
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is one of the few hotels in Banff with central AC in the summertime. I stayed three nights while attending a conference at the Banff Centre in order to have AC and a private bath (neither was offered by my conf at the Banff Centre). My room had one king bed and a cathedral ceiling. The AC worked very well and did not blow on the bed. The room was fairly small - it would have been cramped for two people but was fine for one person. The toilet had an issue - slow leak - which I reported and was apparently fixed. There is a restaurant next door that serves a modest full buffet breakfast and is a steakhouse for dinner at night. The dinner far exceeds the breakfast.
This is not a full service hotel - there is no room service for example. But the hotel room had a safe and a reasonable gym for a mid level hotel. My bed was comfortable and the lighting in the room was excellent with many sconces with individual controls including two over the bed with their own wall switches. The decor was quite traditional. The hallways were a little dated, the room less so. Overall I was quite happy with my stay and the price I paid (around $220 CAD per night). Although it was not that hot during my stay (high 70s during the day, sunny) the buildings were warm and the AC during sleep was quite welcome. I would stay at this property again if visiting Banff in the summer. I had requested a quiet room and was facing a side street rather the main street or the pool - this worked well for me. The window in my room was operable. Overall housekeeping was OK except one strange thing - a half used bottle shampoo left in my bathroom - I did not use it and I have no idea why they left it there. They also left me a full unused bottle of shampoo. I ignored the used bottle.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business