“better hotels out there”
Review of The Juniper Hotel

The Juniper Hotel
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Toronto
“better hotels out there”
Reviewed 5 April 2010

the only reason why I stayed here was because it got selected by priceline. Its not really my kind of hotel. Its a great hotel if you want peace and quiet and far far from noise of the town.

The negative, its far from the downtown area if you don't have a car. You can walk but with luggage, it wasn't possible. The hotel didn't have an elevator. They did offer to help me bring my luggage up but I could do it myself. No gym, no public telephones to call out, no extra cots available, bathroom was a little small.

Also, their cleaning staff talk so loud in the morning. All you hear is banging from the vaccuums and loud talking while you are trying to sleep.

The only good thing is that they have a great view of the mountain when you wake up and they have a mini fridge.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank spinach15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Northern Alberta
Reviewed 18 November 2009

First let me say that the staff were very friendly, helpful and courtious.
When we first walked into the Penthouse it was a bit of a surprise with the old furniture but more of a surprise was the cigarette butts on the kitchen floor, the bread crumbs on the cutting boards and the dishes in the dishwasher.
Our first breakfast had us endure a 15-20 minute wait for service until I actually went up to a waitress and asked for coffee. Toast from the buffet is not possible until the toaster is replaced.
The entire meal for the wedding was very very tasty, well done to the Chef.
Overall our stay was average, but with a few non-expensive changes and a closer eye to detail this could be an excellent hotel famed for not only it's awesome location.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank quiet_traveler_9
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We travel with our large dog so it was nice to find a "pet-friendly" hotel for him. The extra charge of $25 per night would have been acceptable if they had bothered to clean the rooms. At any other hotel, the cleaning staff is there by mid-morning and you can arrive back to a clean room. Every day that we stayed there, the cleaning staff arrived late in the afternoon after we were done our activities for the day and the dog was trying to sleep.

It was quiet until the weekend and the brillant management decided to book a wedding into the hotel. For hours, children from the wedding celebration ran up and down the hallways since the parents seemed to think that the entire hotel was a playground. It is not easy to keep a dog quiet when people are screaming, running and chasing each other everywhere. We called the front desk twice to no avail...we even tried telling the people ourselves and got dirty looks.

The kids were put to bed at 9 pm and the adults started to party. Our room (which was half a hotel away from the party room) was rocked by music, cheering, laughter, etc. We waited, hoping it was just the toasts. We finally phoned the front desk again and were told that they couldn't do anything about it. We were asked to leave the hotel and they found us a room at around 11 pm at the Best Western.

We have never been asked to leave a hotel before and it is quite appalling that this place is run in such a shoddy manner. The room service was overpriced, the internet had to be paid for and the TV was rigged so you had to watch garbage or pay $15 for a movie. No matter what we asked for, the hotel was out of it. The staff had no idea about anything when we asked a simple question.

The price may be right...the choice was not.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roxyroller77
Calgary
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Ok.... I decided to have a one night get away. I usually stay at the Rim Rock but was recommended to the Juniper.

This was suppose to be a mini peaceful retreat. Upon arrival I was greeted by someone that was really unprofessiona (I had to ask where my room was. This information should been given to me). When I got into the room and all I could hear was the noise from the highway. I then decided to get room service. Yikes.. The tray did not come with any salt and pepper. I called room service again and there was no answer. I went down the resturant and had to track someone down. There was no one in the resturant. Finally the waiter came out of the kitchen and gave me the salt and pepper. The pasta came cold and not fully cooked.

I then called the front desk about the noise and ask if I could be moved. The moved me to a room up a floor but just as noise. I could hear every truck that was driving by. I went down to the front desk and again ask for a quite room. The then brought me to a room that the bedding had not been changed from the last guest.

At that time I left and went to another hotel.

The decor is beautiful! But this is the McDonalds of hotels in Banff. The staff lacked professionalism and customer service.

If you are looking for a peacful retreat DO NOT GO THERE!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank degrana
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 October 2009

This is a pet friendly hotel, which is a rare find. Only two caveats about the hotel: (1) the walls are very thin, and we couldn't sleep past 7 am due to the noise (e.g. you can hear the television when it is on in an adjacent room); (2) the distance to downtown Banff necessitates vehicle access. However, with respect to (2), the hotel provides you free taxi chits, which actually works out best, because then you can feel free to indulge in some great BC wine!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fremer45
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We've traveled on 4 continents. Comfort and security is first; view and location is second, ammenities and food service are third.
Juniper rates : Comfort and security, 2; View and location, 1 with a Star; ( All rooms overlook Bannf Valley and mountains ),Restaurant was pretensious and overpriced, even for Banff.
Easy to find off the highway ( great when you're late and tired ) straight drive into downtown; staff very helpful; A great CD of the Rockies on the tele; No elevator, bad if you're older and overpacked.
rated overall, 1 for location, location, location.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PulitzerTripper
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Do some research and check all the online sites, and there's a good chance that after a few days, you will find a good sale price on the rooms at The Juniper. I got my room for around $75 in September -- a good value for expensive Banff. Room was clean, modern, trendy. It had air conditioning (contrary to what another reviewer said). I had a view of the parking lot, so it was quiet but not spectacular. I'm sure the view from the rooms on the other side of the hallway would blow you away!

On the downside, there is no elevator, and the hallway is very long. It always seemed like a long way to walk to my room, especially with aching feet from hiking. The staff was very nice and helpful. This is definitely a good choice in Banff, especially if you shop around and watch for sales, then snag a good deal!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo