“Dave is highly recommended!”

Canadian Rockies Alpine Hiking Day Tours
Ranked #15 of 31 Tours in Banff
More attraction details
Owner description: Some the best known scenery on Earth is concentrated in a set of parks in the Canadian Rockies.Straddling the continental divide of Alberta and BC, Canadian Rockies Alpine is well situated to discover and explore this UNESCO World Heritage site.Walks leave daily,and are led by a licensed, insured park guide.Private, multi day and custom outings are available upon request.
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This review is long overdue! My boyfriend and I organized a day hike with Dave at Lake Louise this past August. We decided to use a guide for our first hike since we were relatively new to hiking and unfamiliar with the area. Dave was a great guide through and through. He was entertaining with fun facts about the area during our drive from Banff to Lake Louise. He also gave us great pointers on how to conserve your energy during the hike and not to worry about those who were passing us on the way (we caught up with them and were less out of breath :). The hike we did was gorgeous - passing the tea house, having lunch up at the Big Beehive and hiking the back end down to get a view of the Plain of the Six Glaciers. Dave was personable and was always filling out ears with interesting tidbits about the wildlife, glacier development and how most of the tourists were hiking in the wrong direction :). Spending the day with him provided us a more in depth and enjoyable experience than what we could have achieved on our own.

1  Thank zooksnyc
Dave H, Owner at Canadian Rockies Alpine Hiking Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2016

Thx for this and glad the day worked out so well! You will glad to know there are still folks coming UP the `wrong way trail`. Hope to see you out this way again sometime soon.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We just spent a wonderful day doing a full day hike with Dave Honeyman. From the moment we contacted him he was willing to cater to all our needs. We didn't have a car so he arranged a rental car for us at a reasonable price and even did all the driving. We drove via the Bow Valley Parkway to get to Lake Louise and from there we did the Lake Agnes trail. We didn't stop at the tea house which looked quite busy we continued to the Big Beehive and had a break there. There were far fewer people there and it was amazing to see how high we had climbed. Then we joined the trail for the Plain of the Six Glaciers. On route we saw some wonderful glaciers and lakes including Mirror lake. Dave was so knowledgable he was always pointing out the names of mountains, glaciers, lakes, plants and animals along the way. It was also interesting to see how Lake Louise seemed to changed colour depending on which part of the trail you were on. Parts of the trail were quite difficult but Dave helped us manage this by going at a slow and steady pace. We stopped at the Plain of the Six Glaciers tea house. It was really nice to have a break there and take in what we'd acheived. During the day we saw some wonderful sights but it was really made special by Dave who was so friendly and funny he made it feel like like you were going hiking with a friend. I would highly recommend doing a guided hike with Dave he will make your holiday!

1  Thank Yasmin A

Wow, thx for the kind words and for taking the time to share your experiences. It was a pleasure to show you some of the high country of the LL area. The chocolate cake was fantastic at the teahouse too!

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I was on a trip with my girlfriend to Banff, both of us for the first time. I found Dave on trip advisor and had a good feeling about him. What a great guy. He was like hiking with a friend... we joked, we laughed, we ate, we drove, we hiked, we spent the whole day together in the Rockies. He totally got us and we made the best out of a rainy day with no complaints. He also helped up plan the rest of our trip based on what we wanted.

I plan on going back to Banff with my husband and kids and Dave will definitely be booked again! I feel like I'll be going back to see an old friend rather than just a hike guide. Thanks Dave! Karla and I had the most amazing trip and it was great to start it off with you as our guide.

I strongly recommend you book this guy.

2  Thank kellylynndub

Thx girls for your kind words and for taking time to share your memories. Hope to see you again sometime soon with your families.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

David was friendly and kind right from the start. I had hoped to arrange for a full day private guided hike for me and my family in the Banff area and approached David for a plan. I explained in the email our circumstances as tourist without access to vehicles and as very inexperienced hikers. Unlike other guided tour establishments who offered us no alternative except to rent a car and get to the hike area on our own, David offered to rent a vehicle on our behalf and pick us up and drive us for the entire trip. He only charged us very reasonably for the car rental and insurance. This way we also saved on the entrance fees to the n.parks I think. Throughout the scenic drive, David explained the sights that we would otherwise have no clue to. He would go out of the way to show us different sights from the route we came by. We spotted a family of mother and baby elks because he did so.

My father wasn't exactly fit with an aversion to physical activities normally and have already been to Lake Louis. David understood our needs and managed to choose the most suitable trail for us, just challenging enough to give satisfaction but never to kill our joy with fatigue. We took the Lake Agnes Trail up to the Six Glaciers. His knowledge of the area was humbling, he managed to bring us on a quiet route even in the busiest summer season and he answered all our questions about the flowers and sights.

It was a great experience that we would never forget. (My dad still raves about it all the time!)

Also, if you are planning to hike in Banff but for some reason are not planning to drive (we didn't as we are unfamiliar with the driver's position being from Singapore), definitely get Dave to arrange the trip for you. He could get better prices for car rental and hotels at corporate rate and he even offered to pick us up from the Calgary airport on our next trip. I wished I got him to help earlier as we could have saved loads from the taxi fare (which was exorbitant!)

1  Thank iezean

Tx for taking the time to capture some of your memories and your kind words. Hi to your dad please!

Reviewed 21 July 2013

This was our first guided hike and thanks to our guide, Dave Honeyman, we have a treasure
trove of memories! We asked for a scenic hike and that is exactly what we got. He was super
knowledgeable about the trail and all the beautiful plants,rock formations, lakes and wildlife
we saw along the way. There was never a dull moment with Dave! He listened to what we
wanted to do and then delivered. We would recommend a full day with Dave. So much to do
and see. Thanks to his guidance, we didn't waste our time wandering aimlessly about. After hiking up Bee Hive (on Lake Louise), we drove to Lake Moraine and explored a bit. Even while
we drove Dave gave us such cool info about the sights. We would highly recommend Dave as
an excellent guide!!!