“Average stay, worst breakfast ever”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Spruce Grove Inn

Spruce Grove Inn
Ranked #32 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Toronto
“Average stay, worst breakfast ever”
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Hotel looks great from outside. inside is average with the rooms needing updating. however they where clean which was nice.

breakfast was a major disappointment. I can't see toast, cereal, and yogurt filling you for a morning of skiing. Wasn't worth the walk to the restaurant.

Walk is some distance from town. I'd recommend something closer to town with newer rooms and better food.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank dyken84
BanffVoyagerInn, Front Desk Manager at Spruce Grove Inn, responded to this review, 4 March 2010
Thank you for your feedback, just to address some of your concerns. Breakfast is complimentary and not advertised as anything more than express. It’s offered as a quick starter, not to fill you up for a full morning of activities. We do also offer a menu with a full range of hot food and fresh fruit for those who wish to have a little more before heading out for a morning on the slopes.

Our hotel is also one of the newest here in Banff, which we also advertise as being on the main road, but is roughly 10 to 15 minutes walk downtown.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Christchurch
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Maybe a bit far out of town when its cold and snowy and you want to walk to the shopping area. The rooms were clean and tidy but there was an ice machine near our room and it was in continual use and very noisy especially at 3.15 am.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AliKatChristchurch
Thank you for your response. We appreciate your feedback as it will help us to improve the stays of current and future guests.
Ottawa
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Unfortunately, I am currently in my room at Spruce Grove Inn writing this - and i have lost internet connection 3 times, as did my friend next to me in less then 20min. The inn itself is somewhat far from the hills, (we were the first one dropped off when entering Banff, if that gives you an idea). However, the staff at the desk have been VERY helpful so far and seem to be very well informed with the area. Our room does not contain any fridge(not even mini one), no balcony, no moisturizer . Ski/snowboards are not allowed in the rooms, which makes it inconvenient. There is ' The Keg' right next to spruce Grove, so they get have that bonus. but I have to say, I am far from impressed with what is provided. my friend would also like to add that he keeps getting shocked in this room.

All and all, good staff - bad hotel.

would not come back here.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Snowboarder13
I’m sorry to hear that your experience at our hotel wasn’t what you’d hoped for, but in response to some of your concerns; it is the policy of most hotels in Banff not to allow ski’s and snowboard’s in the rooms. Some of our rooms have balconies, which are also available upon request. There is a small upgrade fee for this. Since your stay we have discovered the problems with our wireless internet and are currently in the process of upgrading our system.

Thank you for your feedback. If you’d like to contact me further, please send an email to fdman@banffvoyagerinn.com.

Travellers are raving about these Banff hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I stayed here during the week for a couple of nights and had a pleasant stay. We didn't see anyone in the hotel, it was very quiet. We didn't get room service the next day, but I guess I cant complain since we only spent two nights there. The rates are reasonable and we had the 2 story loft and it was very roomy for just the two of us. The fireplace and balcony as well as 2 full bathrooms was great. Missing was a fridge, since there was a microwave. Would stay here again....the view is nice and the walk isn't too far from the main town.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Canadiangirl02
Ontario
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Stayed at the Spruce Grove Inn for a weekend in the fall. Booked last minute, and was pleasantly surprised. My room was simple, but clean and spacious. The inn is no-frills (no restaurant, no swimming pool), but has a welcoming exterior. It is located on Banff’s main drag, with many other lodgings, but at the opposite end from ’downtown’, which made it time consuming to walk to most restaurants and shopping. Fortunately the ROAM bus stopped nearby, making the downtown more accessible.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank jaykay99
Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2009

We were only staying in Banff for one night, so we decided to stay at the Spruce grove as it was inexpensive and seemed ok. It was great. On the edge of the town, but not a far walk from everything. Rooms were big and cozy, very clean (I actually had a bath i was so confident in the cleanliness!) Check-in was fast, although there was a new girl there, it didn't seem to slow things down. For their continental breakfast, we had vouchers. You sit down, wait for the waitress and she gives you your choices. We had a muffin, tea/coffee, cereal, and yogurt. It was all great and filling. Just a note, Im not sure if this was temporary or not, but you actually go to the hotel next door (they are connected) to check in.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kylie13
New York
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I was travelling to Banff for my annual visit. This time I took my mother with me. I booked Spruce Grove through hotwire. It wasn't the hotel I was expecting. But the rate is reasonable and I had a car so the location was not a big issue.

I was initially happy with my room, facing the inside courtyard with a view of the mountain and fairly quiet. The bed was very soft. I guess it is a matter of what you used to, but it was definitely a far cry from the bed I had in Westin the night before.

Parking was good. The hotel was not full so there was plenty of them. I noticed most of them visitors are on a tour group and got here by bus. I don't know how it would be like if everyone arrives with their own car.

Breakfast (Voyager Inn- located next door) came with the room rate, and it was very average. We weren't given the breakfast vouchers upon check-in, so we had to ask the front desk on the first morning. The second morning, there was no one in my lobby so my mother and I started walking toward the adjacent building. When we asked for breakfast vouchers, we were told it is NOT included in the room rate. Since we didn't like the food that much anyways, we decided to prepare to leave. I re-checked my hotwire printout and showed it to the same front desk staff upon check-out, she asked her manager and said it IS included. HOW UNPROFESSIONAL? My mother doesn't walk so well and they don't seemed to care for making a mistake. All they said is get the breakfast to go. Great. I have to carry two boiling hot coffees and a take-out box with my breakfast. Why couldn't they give me my vouchers when I check in? At the very least, offer to bring the breakfast to our room when i was fuming and complaining profusely.

On another occasion, i overheard the front desk lady doesn't even know where to direct the bus driver to park his bus. They ought to do a better job training their staff.

Overall, better room than last year, but I will probably try somewhere else given I have a choice (ie not booking through hotwire).

• Stayed July 2009