“ok in comparison”

and up
Banff Horseback-Riding Adventure
Ranked #9 of 39 Outdoor Activities in Banff
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover a side of Banff you can only see on horseback. Banff Trail Riders (previously Holiday on Horseback take you to places most travellers never experience. We offer hourly rides, backcountry lodge and tent pack trips, sleigh rides and more. Get an authentic old west adventure, even if you have never been on a horse before. We'll match you with a horse, guide and trip that just right for your level of riding experience.
NJ
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“ok in comparison”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We opted for the 3-hour Bow Valley Loop. The horses were great, guides were very nice and gave us a good narrative. The downside was the fact that 99% of the ride was through woods while I'd prefer some valleys with panoramic views. The mosquitos were vicious - spray yourself with deep woods mosquito spray and do not miss a spot because they will find it!
I don't know about the other routes we could have taken but, if you're looking at great views, this one may not be the best. There were a few nice photo ops but otherwise you can enjoy the quiet, the wind rushing through the trees and just being on a horse.

Visited August 2014

• Korean first
Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We booked a 2 hour ride. I was impressed with the nicely cared for and well trained animals especially for such a touristy operation. Horses responded rather well to leg and rein, unusual for a dude-ranch. The ride itself is very easy and therefore good for beginners or anyone afraid of horses, but more experienced riders may be bored. Guides did their best to make sure riders were safe and riding properly and safely, and that riders were both controlling and kind to the animals (reminding riders to keep loose reins and let horses pick their own path up steep hills etc). If you go in with patience and reasonable expectations you will enjoy it, my husband and I did. I am very experienced and he's beginner/intermediate. Lots of parking and easy to find.

Make sure you show up on time, however this is clearly stated when you book.

1 Thank sometravelreviews
Monterey Park, California
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Fun for the family”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Where we are, kids under the age of 13 are hard-pressed to find a stable that allows trail rides. My 6 year old had a grand time. We did the one hour ride just so he could get a feel for it. The guide watched him closely. I felt very comfortable with him on a horse. The guides were really good to the kids and were very patient with the kids who couldn't control their horses. The horses chosen for each person in our family were a perfect match. I wish we had more time to do the longer rides. If we are ever back in the area, I will make the time to do a longer ride. Compared to what we pay here, the pricing was great for a party of 7. It's close enough to town for a short drive, but it is far enough where the city buzz does not affect the ride. We didn't realize until later, but it's close to Cave and Basin. The location is excellent. If you're new to riding or don't have a whole lot of experience, it's great. Experienced riders may lose patience with inexperienced riders who do not know how to follow instructions.

1 Thank LoveSummerRoadTrips
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Explorer Day Ride”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My partner and I took the Explorer Day Ride on July 10, 2014 with Kate as our guide. Our group was small for the 8 hour ride which made the Cowboy lunch that much more enjoyable. We not only thoroughly enjoyed the spectacular beauty of the back country of Banff but enjoyed the hour lunch getting to know our group and guide. The Explorer Day Ride was the highlight of my 10 day vacation in Canada! Kate really rocked as guide, chef, photographer and information guru about tips for riding our horses. Shout out to Romeo, my horse who was an absolute sweat heart.

We LOVE Holidays and Horseback!

B Simmons
Austin, TX 78704

1 Thank Wil K
New York City, New York
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Not if you love horses (or animals) ...”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a real commercial operation. I dont think they make any claims otherwise ... but I found the rush-rush herding of people and horses in and out of the corral to be extremely distasteful.

- There's ZERO personal touch; beyond that ... once you sign and pay, no one cares to tell you what to expect or when to be at the corral, etc. Just ... "wait over there"
- the "guides" spoke maybe 3 times ... only once to comment on the surrounding environment.
- the horses seemed a bit exhuasted (tiring on even a 2 hour walk over fairly flat terrain with one hill)
- my own horse and my wife's both were scared and timid, jumping at falling leaves
- the 2 hour walk was 20 minutes of getting the horses ready and 10 minutes short on the way back
- the 2 hour ride is like a ride through the suburbs for part of the way and then on a paved road partially. Not quite a "banff" experience if you ask me.
- the obnoxious rancher telling us to "kick the horse even harder" if they dont move.

2 Thank Sean M