Fox Hotel & Suites
  • Pool
Banff Inn(Banff)
  • Breakfast included
2,263 results
All reviewschili's restauranthot tubmake your own waffleswaffle makercontinental breakfastbedroom suiteyogurtcave basinliving areasmall kitchenhard boiled eggsstandard roomunderground parkingsitting roomfree busan upgradebus pass
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We chose this hotel based on tripadviser reviews, we were not disappointed. We stayed here for 3 nights during our trip to the Rockies. We had a king bed suite, the decor was very modern, clean and the bed was very comfortable. Even though we were on the first floor it was very quiet. It is about 10 minutes walk to the village, we were 3 couples and we ended up taking our car to the village. There is a good parking area behind the Visitor center on Banff avenue. The pool and spa in the basement had a cave like surroundings, very nice. The breakfast was not very elaborate but was good and sufficient. Free WiFi at the hotel. For the price we paid, it turned out to be a very pleasant and relaxing stay.

1  Thank krishnam1
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our group consisted of a teenager and 2 aunts. We were upgraded to a 4th floor loft suite on the backside of the property and it was wonderful--basically like a smallish condo. The downstairs bedroom had 2 double beds and an en suite bath. There was a living area with a small kitchen and gas fireplace, along with a TV. The upstairs loft bedroom had a king size bed along with another en suite bathroom. Perfect! The hotel has a very woodsy decor and is well located, just a few blocks from the heart of Banff. The underground parking is a plus, but be aware that they run out of parking spaces and then you park on the street, which still wasn't a problem. The breakfast was just so so in my opinion. There is a cool cave like hot tub in the basement level. All in all we were very pleased with the property.

If you are thinking about Banff vs Lake Louise, stay in Banff. The hotels in Lake Louise are vastly overpriced due to supply and demand, and there is so much more to do in the town of Banff. Same comment applies re: restaurants. Lake Louise was a disappointment to us. See my review of Post Hotel.

Re: restaurants--i asked some outdoorsy young men who had the best pizza, and they recommended Bear Street Tavern. so glad they did--it was great! At first the idea of dipping the crust in the recommended combo of rosemary/chili infused oil mixed with honey sounded gross, but halfway through our pizzas we were dipping each bite! Try it--you'll love it! Plus they had 3 pizza specials that were just $10 apiece, which is a bargain in Banff. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mkctn
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have got to admit to pondering for some time what to write! Visited the Fox for three nights as the start of our trip through the Rockies and cruise and chose it because of the pretty good reviews on Tripadvisor. The hotel is about a 10/15 minute pleasant walk to the centre of town but they do give you a free bus pass for all the local buses which takes you to a number of places including the Banff Gondola. The bus stops outside the hotel as well.

Reception was very good, and when I enquired about an upgrade, the charming young lady was able to offer a suite at a fairly modest extra cost, so that was good.

The second floor suite consisted of a lounge area with table and chairs, settee and fully equipped kitchen area, then the good sized bedroom with king sized bed, usual bathroom and a balcony at the front overlooking the main road into Banff and a reasonable view. Despite the road, traffic noise was minimal. The room was clean and serviced well.The aircon worked and there is free wifi in the hotel.

The buffet breakfast was perhaps a bit minimal but adequate and service was good. In the basement there is a fitness room and a hot spring pool in a cave like surrounding, which turned out to be more authentic than the Upper Hot Springs! Very pleasant.

So overall a fairly good hotel, my only criticism, perhaps because I am not a lover of `the pine effect`, was that perhaps this made the hotel look a bit dated and tired in some respects. But otherwise location fine, service good and a comfortable nights sleep!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back did have a nice aspect towards the mountains, but we had no issues at the front on the main road.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bez5
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were fortunate to have received an unsolicited upgrade to a full suite upon arrival. This charming hotel, with lots of wood and natural river rock accents, fits in so well to the surrounding beauty of the Banff area. The room was large with modern amenites. The small kitchenette would allow for a comfortable and convenient stay. A breakfast was included in the price and featured fresh fruits, yogurt, waffles, and cold cereals and breads. There is a Chilis restaurant on property. We had a nice visit with other travelers in the bar which is mostly glass looking out onto the street. The hotel is an easy walk into town as you pass lots of shops. Underground parking provided a safe, convenient, location to store our vehicle and keep it dry during the brief rainstorm we experienced.

Room Tip: It's helpful to select a room in the back of the property away from the main street. We overlooked two churches in the back and it was very quiet.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I had a very disturbing situation that occurred at our stay at The Fox Inn. We had a leak above the kitchen area in our room which we reported on a Friday after noticing water on the counter and on the floor. We alerted the front desk. Friday nothing had been done about the problem and on Saturday my husband reported the problem as he was leaving the hotel, and passed by the front desk saying and it wasn't bothering us that much but that they should know as parts of the ceiling were now chipping off from the drips.

I was in the room taking a shower when I hear a bang on a door and I screamed back "what?" feeling scared as I heard someone enter the room. I came out of the shower with a towel on, terrified about who was in my room. I see a maintenance person at the door and another one at the leak in the coffee sink area. I looked incredulously at the one at the door, wrapped in my towel, and told them to leave. The One at the door said to the other worker, "someone is in the shower" to which he responded, "I know".

Understandably I was very upset at this intrusion. My husband spoke to the front desk folks and no one apologized or acknowledged that this was wrong. All they said was that we needed to speak with the manager, Tas Pereira in the morning. We spoke with Tas the next morning and he said that the maintenance men were completely appropriate in their actions. Really, It is ok to walk in on someone knowing they are in the shower without having their consent? I asked what the policy was and Tas Pereira said they knock and if no answer they come in. Really???? If someone is in the shower and unable to answer once they walk in and hear a shower (remember the workman acknowledged knowing someone was in the shower) it is ok to work?
Mr. Pereira was extremely unprofessional in his dealing with us and refused to admit any wrongdoing on the part of the staff. I complained to his boss and got an apology and offer of a free night in the future. We live 3000 miles away and we won't return again to this hotel.

6  Thank Zigstar10
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

It is always disappointing for us to read a negative review. It's especially so, when the review is embellished, and does not present a clear, or fair picture of the situation.

I truly hope that the Tripadvisor community, will see that this is one very negative review amongst many positive reviews of our product and the services we provide.

I could go into a detailed write up, voicing our side of the story, but I will summarize to say: this review isn't entirely true. It's embellished, and we acted with integrity and accordance to protocol. This guest has been apologized to, and her charges reversed in addition to an offer complimentary stay in the future.

Along with both verbal and written apologies by colleagues other managers and myself, I can say with honesty, that we've done all we could to please this guest, and sadly we have not.