“A Keg is a Keg”

The Keg Steakhouse + Bar - Banff Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
The Keg Steakhouse + Bar - Banff Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 144 Restaurants in Banff
Price range: US$18 - US$37
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Great steaks, a casual ambiance and friendly, knowledgeable staff are the proud and reliable trademarks of The Keg Steakhouse & Bar. You'll find a truly comfortable and satisfying dining atmosphere accompanied by a fun and casual bar setting. The Keg is a casual steakhouse with a contemporary flavor - an attractive combination for any occasion.
Virginia Beach
“A Keg is a Keg”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

After our whitewater rafting in BC, we were pretty hungry. I picked out the Keg in downtown Banff for two reasons: 1) I wanted the Fam to see Banff; 2) My wife is Canadian and The Keg in London, ONT was a frequent dining choice back in the late-80s.

For those from the U.S., the Keg is a Canadian chain of steakhouses. The closest U.S. equivalent would be Stuart Anderson's Blank Angus. So we get there and get seated quickly. My wife was initially experiencing sticker shock at the menu prices and initially wanted to leave. I told her that was not an option. It is expensive. Maybe prices have gone up since the 1980s. But I capped everyone at $30 and we all got something to our liking. My 12 oz. prime rib was very tasty. My wife and son had sirloin steak. My wife complained it was too well done at the edges, but did savor the center which was cooked perfect medium. My daughter got something salady. She didn't particularly care for (I think it was too much onions or jalapenos or something). I guess I just don't understand people who eat salads as entrees.

Service was on the slow side. The tab was the most expensive meal of our vacation. But it delivered what Keg is good for - Consistently good quality beef.

• Visited July 2014

• Korean first
Port Colborne, Canada
“KEG - a sure thiing”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Having tried all manner of restaurants in Banff, some OK but none exceptional, we opted for something familiar, a known quantity - the KEG in downtown Banff - and it proved to be a good decision. In an area where everything is overpriced, the KEG's menu was not only familiar, but the prices were the same as at Ontario KEGs. Not inexpensive, but full value.

Is there a better opening than the KEG's sourdough bread, served fresh outof the oven with whipped butter ? I think not. A Caesar salad and the French onion soup were our openers, and both were excellent.

Prime rib is always my choice at the KEG, and it was both a generous portion, served "au jus", and cooked to medium-rare perfection. So tender ! My wife order the ribs, and while she is a bit of a picky eater and not normally a big eater, she finished the entire rack ! Tender & savoury.

A glass of an Argentinian (Mendoza) Malbec was the perfect compliment to my prime rib, and we opted not to have dessert.

The ambience was nice, the service efficient and friendly, and everything was as we expected at the KEG. A wonderful dining experience - as always in our experience at KEGs across the country.

Visited July 2014
Ascot
“Below expectations for the price”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The food was OK, but for the price we expected better. The lobster tails was particularly disappointing, being somewhat rubbery.

Service was polite, but not particularly friendly.

Given the choice in downtown Banff, I can't recommend this.

• Visited August 2014
Aurora, Canada
“Good service. Good meal. ”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Upon arriving in Banff and being quite hungry we decided to pick a restaurant we knew to grab a nice dinner.

This Keg is nicely located on the Main Street in Banff and easily accommodated our dinner reservation.

The whole family had steaks with various sides. The food was well cooked, arrived at the table nice and hot, and tasted very good. My son enjoyed his first filet mignon and loved it. Our server was also very attentive despite it being very busy and interacted with our kids very well.

My only disappointment was the portion size and quality of the calamari appetizer. It was questionable (very petite calamari and not very much on the plate).

I am a bit confused as to why there are two Keg restaurants in Banff and they have such different Trip Advisor rankings (downtown location ranked 50th at the time f this review & the other located in a hotel ranked 6th).

Calgary, Canada
“Great service, great food”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Went to The Keg with 2 ten year old granddaughters and my daughter. Ryan was our waiter. The guy was really on the ball. He took care of us 100%. We went on a Friday night and it was quite busy.We did not have reservations but were seated right away. It got pretty busy pretty fast. Ryan came to our table quite often. Drinks, appetizers, meals all came pretty quickly. Ryan was always asking how things were, if we needed anything etc. we usually go to The Keg in the hotel but decided to go to the downtown location instead. Great choice. We ordered the baked Brie, it was delicious. My granddaughters ordered chicken wings and fries, too much for them to finish. I had the classic prime rib, done to perfection. My daughter had the sirloin and hers was perfect too. We will definitely be coming to this location again!

• Visited July 2014