“Not impressed!!”

Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wolf or Caribou
Transit: Public transit stops within walking distance.
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We were really looking forward to eating here as most reviews rate this as one of the better places in Banff. All actually started well as we stopped by here in the afternoon and had an appetizer on their happy hour down in the bar area. Their calamari appetizer was truly outstanding (probably the best calamari appetizer we have ever had) and the drinks were good as well.

Unfortunately, we should not have returned for dinner later that night. I was so looking forward to an Alberta steak dinner as I had read about how impressive this kind of beef was supposed to be. I live in Texas and have enjoyed a many prime cut of beef...and this steak was no where close to what I had expected.

To start with the menu is a la carte, so every side dish is extra as nothing comes with your steak...this is par for the course for most top notch steak houses. I ordered a filet of alberta beef cooked Chicago style (charred outside) medium rare inside and a side of au gratin potatoes. The wife chose an ahi tuna salad.

Thirty minutes after placing the order the food arrived and everything looked great. I do have to admit thirty minutes was a little excessive for waiting while others seemed to have a little speedier service. But in Banff no one seems to rush to much in the eating establishments.

My wife said her salad was excellent. My steak was COLD and over cooked. I mentioned to the waiter that my steak was cold and he tried to pass it off that maybe that is what I should expect Chicago Style. I told him that the steak was unacceptable and he offered to reheat it. By this time I was frustrated and told him to just remove it from the bill as it had already taken 30 minutes to recieve the first overcooked steak and did not want to recieve the next steak after my wife will have been completed with her meal.He said he would have to talk with his manager, which he did...but the manager never came to the table and the waiter never took the steak away. Finally, well after wife was finished... a different waiter came by and asked if I needed the steak wrapped up to take with us. I had to inform him what had taken place as he was not aware. It was agreed that the very delayed COLD, overcooked steak would be taken away and removed from the bill.

I was NOT impressed with the service, the attention to detail was poor, the manager unconcerned, and for the price not anywhere near the quality of what I expected.

In conclusion, a great place for an appetizer. For an overpriced steak with no where near the quality of a prime steakhouse I was truly disappointed as this was to be the one meal we were really looking forward to.

Proceed with caution and I hope your experience proves to be more rewarding than ours.

1  Thank Dutch_2006
Write a ReviewReviews (1,490)

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Two very friendly staff greeted us outside the restaurant with a free martini. The waitress's was very friendly and helpful, the food was made so it was gluten and dairy free and was excellent, my husband had a pasta dish which was huge. Would return to eat here.

2  Thank Tony E
Reviewed 7 July 2013

There is not much to elaborate on a burger at a pub, but this one was good. Tasty, reasonably priced and friendly service. 3/5

1  Thank dhowen
Reviewed 21 June 2013

In the middle of a four day rainstorm while on vacation in Banff we came across Saltlik for dinner. Great bar on the lower level, and up a flight of stairs is the main restaurant. Server was incredibly friendly and efficient, recommended a great bottle of wine. Ahi tuna salad was fabulous, with these delicious marinated onions as a garnish. Also great were the baby back ribs.
Another excellent experience at a Banff restaurant. We have really been impressed with the Canadian cuisine in this town.

1  Thank Caseypup
Reviewed 21 June 2013

One of the best in town they said. I could not check that, but it was indeed very good and tasty. Staff is okay, not that great, but okay.