“Terrible treatment by park wardens”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Louise
Lake Louise Campground
Calgary, Canada
“Terrible treatment by park wardens”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Like the previous reviewer, this was absolutely the worst camping experience we have ever had in Alberta. So much so that the wardens should actually be reported for their inconsistencies, borderline harassment and inability to be reasonable or fair to all campers at the site.

We were also a group of adults in our mid twenties/thirties, and were visited several times by the wardens for inconsistent reasons. On the lake louise campground and banff national park camping website (government sites), it specifically says that "maximum two tents, two vehicles and 6 people allowed on each site". On our second night at the campground, we were visited by two wardens on some sort of power trip who told us that we had to move our cars because there was only one tent/two cars, or two cars/one tent allowed on each site. After explaining and showing them the website, they blatantly ignored and told us if we didn't move our cars they would be writing incident reports. What's worse is that by walking through the campground, we saw several other sites that had two cars/two tents and had not been forced to move. Additionally, when we walked to the kiosk to try and purchase another campsite nearby (so we could keep our cars there), they told us the whole campground was full (which it was not...two campsites down was an empty site that had no one on it for the whole weekend). The wardens choose to lie directly to us and said the people were "out for the day" when in fact we could see no one had been there all weekend. When we asked why there was a discrepancy at what the website said versus what the wardens told us, they said "it was a rule their boss made".

This was a very unfortunate experience and we will never go back, I would not recommend and would hope that the wardens working (two males in particular) are reprimanded for their actions that evening. Sounds like we were not the only ones who experienced issues so that is good to hear, but I would definitely not recommend this campground to anyone other than families.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
13 Thank ashley h

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Czech first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I would just like to advise any groups of young people who aren't families with kids against camping here (and most likely in any Canadian National Park campground). We were evicted from the campground partway through our stay because we left a cooler outside our tent and received a noise complaint - we understand that the noise complaint was legitimate (voices carry when there are 9 people talking, we should have been more careful), however we were told that the noise complaint was not the reason we were being evicted. The fact that we left a cooler outside our tent was the breaking point. Our belongings were confiscated at this point. Then we were accused of vandalism we had not done, and we were then accused of lying when we denied doing it. We had to pack up and leave at 8pm in the middle of preparing supper and drive hours to get out of the national park, which we were banned from for 48 hrs. We are also now in a national database for 5 years for this offense. We felt that the way we were spoken to and treated (no option for negotiation, rudeness from the warden, etc) was unfair and surprising to say the least, and feel like we were pegged as a group of "rowdy teenagers" before we could explain ourselves. We were in fact a group of mostly graduate students in our mid-twenties. So if you are thinking you'll go with friends or colleagues to a national campground for a weekend, I would advise against it. It felt clear that they didn't want us there and we won't be going back. I'm disappointed to have had to write this, but hope it helps future travellers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank ilovecamping2013

Travellers are raving about these Lake Louise hotels

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2013

There are 2 parts to this campground, one for RV's and a separate one for tents and soft sided campers. The tenting campground has an electric fence surrounding it to keep out the bear. The sites are well spaced, treed and pleasant. We travelled with an RV so were kept outside the fence! We were assigned our site and as we drove in I was at first excited, we had a good sized pull-though site with electricity. Then I noticed that there was a marker at the end of the driveway: this wasn't one space, but two! By that evening our neighbours had arrived, we were both long RV's so we had to overlap. Our trailers were only inches apart. We were travelling with young children, I cautioned them to do no more than breathe!
Our site was right beside the beautiful turquoise river that runs through the campground, I was longing to go for a walk along the path which skirts the river on our last night in the park, but we had run out of water while I was washing dishes. I was waiting, impatiently, for my husband and children to return with the buckets of water from the distant water pump, when I heard a commotion. Just then my husband returned and stated that the park wardens were trying to move a large mother Black Bear and her 2 cubs off of the trail, 20 ft from our trailer. I kind of wished we were inside of the fence then, I don't know much protection 1/2 inch walls provide.
My advice, try to stay in the fenced area: there's more privacyand protection. This campground is ideally located and we were in the shadows of a magnificent mountain, with the stunning river and wildflowers, but I didn't like sharing a site.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank camper2010
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Stayed here for one night on my 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S.
It was such a beautiful warm day when I first entered the park and drove across the electrified rollers into the campgrounds. Pitched my tent and drove into Lake Louise for some sight seeing.
Upon returning later that evening couldn't believe how fast the temp. was dropping!
Tried my hardest to start a fire but without proper kindling I found it next to impossible to get the bigger logs going...so the only thing I had to burn were road maps of Quebec...sorry all you Hab fans nothing personal I assure you! That did the trick although I still think the logs weren't dry enough to begin with. Trying to sleep was another matter as the rail line close by had diesel locomotives shunting cars back and forth all night long...I'm a light sleeper inside a tent so it was around this time I'm second guessing my decision to camp in the great outdoors but you deal with the hand that life gives you right? So I spent the rest of the night curled up inside my sleeping bag shaking from the cold and fantasizing about a nice warm hotel room with a whirlpool and a king size bed and the smell of bacon and cable TV and you know what...sunrise came before I knew it and I did get that nice warm room the next night in Lake Louise but that's another review for next time and you're not going to believe what happened at that hotel...very unexpected for sure!!!

Room Tip: Bring earplugs for the trains!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Mike H
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed one night at Lake Louise campground after spending the previous night at Tunnel Mountain Campground closer to Banff, we wished we had stayed another night at Tunnel Mountain and just packed up early for a day of activity at Lake Morraine and Lake Louise. The campground was decent and the bathrooms were cleaned, however, the electric fence surrounding the camp ground really was a disappointment and made you feel much less connected with the surrounding nature. You are still surrounded by fantastic views and scenery but personal preference gives Tunnel Mountain the winning vote in my opinion!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank zoallen
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed here for two nights in August 2011 (overlooked this review as we have been travelling ever since) and really liked it. The pitches are spacious and well-spaced. It was good to have our own picnic table. We were a bit of a walk from the showers, but that was not really a problem (a smaller block of loos and wash basins was closer). The bear fence made us feel safer! There were talks in the evenings from rangers - both were very good, engaging and informative. The site is only a few minutes drive from the lake and other sights, but is also close to the amenities of the town. We'd definitely stay here if we ever camp in the area again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank TalbotTravellers
Barrie, ON
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed in the RV section of the campground. The sites are shared, meaning there are two rvs on each site. There was about one metre between our unit and our neighbor's unit. We were so close we could hear the neighbor's tv and water pump etc. The picnic table was old and covered with cooking grease. There is one shower block (dated) that was 400 metres from our site. The only saving grace for this place is the location. I just wonder what my camping fee is paying for. Also, only about 10 sites with fire pits. I would never go there again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family