“OK Loud Trains”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Louise
Lake Louise Campground
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Lake Louise is far prettier and more to see than Banff. However this campsite has loud frequent trains. No power for a lot of trailer sites. We had to pick having a fire or electrical. The town is very close by which is nice.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marcus O

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I tented at the Lake Louise Campground for four nights in August 2014. We used this campground as a jumping off point for day hiking in the Lake Louise/Banff area. It couldn’t have been more generally convenient. The tent sites are average sized and well wooded between spots. The campground itself is really busy, but pretty quiet overall (we were amazed at how often the sites turned over).

The campground was beautiful and very well maintained. There are plenty of bathrooms with sinks and flushing toilets. Unfortunately, if you like to dip yourself in honey and let the local bears tickle you with their tongues, you’ll have to do that outside the campgrounds being as the entire grounds are surrounded by an electric fence to keep the larger animals away. Nevertheless, the fence doesn’t discourage the smaller animals like red squirrels, ground squirrels and striped gophers from begging at the picnic table (takes them much longer to lick the honey off your body). And it doesn’t deter the magpies and ravens from shouting to each other from one end of the camp to the other.

Just a couple of helpful notes:
There is only one shower house and limited sinks for washing dishes. So, plan your shower and meal times accordingly – it can get busy.

There are plenty of sites located near the Bow River … it’s a fast moving river and doesn’t sound like one of those soothing dream machine alarm clock rivers. Additionally, the spots closer to the river are also closer to the railroad tracks and the engines do blow their horns as they approach the town. (They never woke me up, but I overheard some other campers talking about the trains.)

The campground provides plenty of firewood, however there is a nightly “permit” fee to have a fire. So if you like your s’mores toasty, you can expect about an extra $9 per day for the right to have a fire.

Room Tip: From my review: There are plenty of sites located near the Bow River … it’s a fast moving river a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

If you travel with a camper and want to reserve, not much choice in the national park. Campsite is really outdoor and nice walks directly from the camping. Inconvenient that there is only 1 shower building, about 1 km walk in our case, no fires allowed and trains with horns day and night.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The spaces are rather small if you bring a somewhat bigger tent, and the one and only shower building was almost always extremely crowded (except if you wait until 9.30 AM when everyone leaves), but it is an excellent location for the area. I bet it does require reservations every time if you want to stay there. The electric fence is impressive, though we never ever saw a bear at close range on our 3-week trip through "bear country".

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnnVG
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I LOVE the outdoors, but don't particularly enjoy camping but with five kids it makes traveling a lot more affordable, especially in Banff. When I travel, I tend to spend little time in the hotel or campground I sleep at.

If you're camping in Banff NP, there are two things that can not be beat about this place... it offers showers and it's proximity. To my knowledge, the park system only has two campgrounds in the Banff/Jasper/Yoho area... one up in Jasper and this place. It is minutes away from the actual Lake Louise as well as Moraine Lake. Yoho NP is just up the road, and has immediate access to the main highway.

The campsites are a little smaller than I would like, but offer all the firewood you can burn. Bathrooms and water sources are scattered throughout.

We've stayed here on four different occasions and will be back again I'm sure.

The crowd here will all be there for the same reasons you will be... the amazing outdoors. As such, they are typically more respectful and quiet and easy to camp with.

Room Tip: If you're staying in the summer, be sure to book early (able to do online). Know that there i...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank outsideagent
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I spent two nights in a tent site, and although I think we were quite far from the train tracks, I remember remarking to my travel partner on how those trains must be shaking the tents and RV's near there. The campground was very crowded. Online reservations said the site was "moderate" privacy--not sure their definition of "moderate," but there was nothing moderate about it--there was "zero" privacy. There were not enough shower stalls for the occupancy of this campground. I think there were five stalls. There was only one stall with enough hooks AND a locking stall door. They were all filthy. There is nothing more annoying then showering and trying to get your feet in your clothes without wetting/dirtying your clothes because your feet are dirty two seconds after your shower.

There is an electrified fence along the perimeter to keep out the wildlife, i.e., the grizzlies. I have no beef with that. There is a beautiful river that runs alongside that you can walk and enjoy through areas you can open the fence through the electrified wire. I found the rangers were fine and helpful, although as a couple, we are quiet and harmless.

Lake Louise is a crowded area in season, so I get why you would jam as many people in a small space as you could. However, I found it expensive for not-so-good facilities and for no privacy. I would not stay here or recommend it to anyone else. I spent nights throughout my trip in Tunnel Village I (which was great), Johnston Canyon (which was okay), and a few other sites that were non-reservable (and one that we reserved in Jasper National Park), and this one was the least bang for the bucks.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Beautiful location right next to town. Kids loved the river right next to the campground. Some people might complain about the trains at night but I loved the sound of the whistle echoing through the mountains. Only complaint was no fire pit. Would have loved being able to sit outside at night and breathe in that beautiful mountain air.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family