“A wonderful, insightful trek through Beautiful Lake Louise back country”

Great Divide Nature Interpretation
More attraction details
Owner description: Great Divide Nature Interpretation provides informative guided hiking and snowshoeing in the Lake Louise and Banff areas. Nadine Fletcher and Joel Hagen have over 20 years experience and are certified “Master” interpreters. In summer, full day and half day walks/hikes. In winter, half day snowshoeing trips.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 31 January 2011

This tour is awesome!! Nadine knows the forest well, & taught us the layers of snow in deep pack, & why avalanches behave like they do. Also how to identify animal tracks, very cool! I would recommend this to anyone interested in getting some fresh mountain air, while surrounded by serene breathtaking views, off the beaten track, fun in the snow. I took this trip with my Mom & we have a great time from start to finish. Even learnt about a certain forest dweller that has a habit of climbing trees, & you'll never guess what it is! We will no doubt be back for more, well worth it.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"the lake louise area"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 28 January 2011

Nadine (our fabulous guide!) trekked my family and I through the majestic back country of the Rocky Mountains. We learned about the art of snowshoeing, about the animal and plant life that surrounded us, and of course, about the snow we plowed through. Nadine's knowledge, enthusiasm, and homemade power bars were worth the trip!

Reviewed 10 January 2011

This was an absolute top experience. At first I was hesitant to go snow shoeing as I thought it would feel like a military marching exercise. However my family talked me into it and I am glad they did. It was a very easy walk in one of the most beautiful settings I have ever seen. Certainly it was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done. The experience was incredible and Joel was fantastic ! I highly recommend this activity. Don't come to Lake Louise without doing this. Trust me.

1  Thank Kiwi_That_Flies
Reviewed 8 January 2011

This was our first trip to the Canadian Rockies and we didn’t know what to expect for hiking conditions. We had 3 days to hike in the Lake Louise area, and we wanted to make the most of the experience. We emailed Great Divide Nature Interpretation and told them a little about us (in our mid-fifties) and provided an overview of our prior hiking experience (mostly New England). Joel and Nadine suggested 3 hikes that complemented our skills and provided a good diversity in elevation, plants and wildlife.

Nadine guided our hike to “Bow Summit Lookout”. A fresh dusting of snow on this high elevation hike provided a great opportunity for identifying animal tracks. Joel guided our hikes to the “The Big Beehive”, which includes amazing views of Lake Louise, and “Stanley Glacier Valley” which provides an excellent example of a forest regenerating after a fire. We hiked “The Big Beehive” on September 25th and the larch trees were in their full fall glory, glistening gold in the sun.

My expectation was we were just hiring a guide to lead us on the different trails so we would not have to worry about where we were going. What we got was so much more. Hiking with Nadine and Joel is just plain fun and educational. They educate you about the plants, the wildlife, and the history in such an entertaining way, with a backpack full of visual aids and props that makes the hikes fun and memorable. We highly recommend hiking with Great Divide Nature Interpretation and will hike with them again the next time we travel to Lake Louise.

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We took a guided snowshoe outing with Great Divide in early January 2011. Our guide, Joel, contacted us ahead of time to find out about us, our snowshoeing experience, level of ability, and interests. He did an excellent job of tailoring the outing to these considerations and also to the weather at the time. We had our 8 yr old son with us, and the morning featured a wind chill of -27 C. He had selected a trail that was well sheltered from the wind, with minimal elevation gain and good sun exposure. The day before, he had scouted it with his wife, to pack down the lose snow, and make sure there were no obstructions. These precautions made it possible for our son to enjoy himself, despite previously limited interest in snowshoeing.

Along the way he pointed out many different animal tracks in the snow, and taught us to identify them. We saw snowshoe hare, marten, coyote, hedge-hog, mouse and even moose tracks. Joel had a binder with pictures of all these animals, and used the tracks as an opportunity to teach us more about each animal. He seems to have a natural knack of relating to kids and getting them to share in his enthusiasm for animals and nature. Our son stayed glued to him and peppered him with questions well beyond the patience limit of many an adult. This also helped our son enjoy the experience.

Although we had our own equipment, the other family who joined us was fully kitted out with snowshoes and poles. The British teenager who was with us, who seemed to think sneakers were an appropriate footwear choice for a half day's winter outing in the Canadian Rockies, was also issued a type of over-boot that fit over his shoes, and, I suspect, also kept his toes from freezing off.

Having previously done a couple of years of snowshoeing on our own, my wife an I are coming to appreciate these types of guided outings more and more, because you see and learn so much more than if you just show up and go on your own. As a pair of city dwellers who grew up in the suburbs, we simply would not have seen all the things that were pointed out to us.

We would not hesitate to recommend you head out with Great Divide, even if you're a local. If you're a tourist or new to the area or to snowshoeing, the value of the services is even greater, since you get access to local knowledge, and well as having someone to make sure you learn the proper techniques and get you back safely. We plan to go back out with them, and will probably also ring them up for some guided hikes in the summer as well.

If you do go with them, think about what interests you and what you want out of the outing, and make sure you tell them.